The souvenir you brought home and wished you'd left behind...

ekerr19

Along the lines of Brian's favorite souvenir thread, can anyone share about something they regretted purchasing?

I remember letting my daughter talk me into buying her this bright pink and turqoise ukalale/guitar in Cozumel... I don't know what I was thinking!!! Not only were we unable to pack it, I ended up carrying it all the way home, and it was really only one of those novelty type things and made hideous noise. She still has it though, lol!!!

This past summer, we did it again - DH found a marble chess set in Corfu that he decided he couldn't live without - he bought it, unaware of how truly heavy it was; since I always over pack and occasionally pay for overweight bags, there was little room and less available poundage to pack it. He was dismayed at the thought of lugging it all the way home, but in the end we went to the post office and managed with our very limited Italian to get it sent home for about EU28 or 30, which ended up being a small price to pay...

Anyone else have "buyers regret" over a spontaneous purchase or acquisition?

(I'm encouraging everyone to keep it clean here, too - LOL!!!)

The only thing I've ever regretted bringing home from a cruise was the extra poundage around my midsection. :(

:)

But picking that poundage up was GREAT fun.

But now you've lost it all!!! I guess you'll have to "pick up" some more on the Noordam reunion cruise!!!

Another fun item to pack - those big straw hats that Brian, Vic, Scotty, Sonny & I got at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in Turks & Caicos...not exactly the easiest things to pack, lol!!!! :cool: But we sure looked like happy cruisers wearing them!!!!

But now you've lost it all!!! I guess you'll have to "pick up" some more on the Noordam reunion cruise!!!

I have NO intention of picking up any on the Noordam in January!!!! :)

I didn't pick up any on the Zaandam last month! (whew!)

I'm trying to get rid of a LOT more of it!!! :)

Another fun item to pack - those big straw hats that Brian, Vic, Scotty, Sonny & I got at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in Turks & Caicos...not exactly the easiest things to pack, lol!!!! :cool: But we sure looked like happy cruisers wearing them!!!!

LOL - That HAT!

I gave mine to my brother-in-law when I went to visit my Sis' family post-cruise in VA - I wasn't about to pack that and lug it all the way back to California - I already had an extra HAL bag full of souveneirs to give the kids, etc...

(Next time, I'll stick w/ a baseball cap...)

;)

I can't think of a thing. We're not big souvenir purchasers. Although I've had to curb myself from purchasing such things as Viking hats and Turkish apparel, we generally don't go for impulse stuff. My DW always gets a Christmas tree ornament in each country we visit. And an occasional decorative piece of some kind. And, of course, little magnets and such for the grandkids. But so far, nothing we regret bringing back.

On my first cruise I managed to pick up an officer that I probably shouldn't have brought home. ;)

Wonder what ever happened to him?

Now now ... Ruth ... you know perfectly well that the regulations stipulate that we shouldn't bring home any of the dining room staff and cabin stewards in our luggage because they would be missed on the next cruise.

I seriously doubt that they'll miss any of the ship's officers, however. :)

Pilfer away. :D ;) :eek:

Greg, it was a long, long, very long time ago.

And he was an engineer.

Too funny RuthC!!!

Back in the day, fraternization seemed to be encouraged - on my first cruise I was just a young, single gal - I tell, you I don't recall ever having to buy a drink on that voyage!

We had a blast with the officers - I often times wondered who was running the ship!!!! :eek:

Well, I am not sure that I should admit this, but MANY years ago from a cruise to the Greek Islands, we brought home head lice ..... still not at all sure from whence they came ....

Note: This was not on HAL -- it was one of the many cruise lines of the past that we seem to have helped go under.

Archived