What do you think of this dress?

katsmom1

I like the look of this dress but am not really sure if its appropriate for a 40 year old, like myself. I'm considering it for a cruise, and/or going to the orchestra or to see a play, etc. What do you think?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2902158?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=david+meister+in+Women%27s+Apparel&origin=searchresults

Thanks!

I like the look of this dress but am not really sure if its appropriate for a 40 year old, like myself. I'm considering it for a cruise, and/or going to the orchestra or to see a play, etc. What do you think?

Thanks!

That dress is drop-dead gorgeous!!! It is appropriate for any age as long as the body can handle it. I am 52, yes, I would wear it, but too big :)

Go ahead and buy it and enjoy.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2902158?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=david+meister+in+Women%27s+Apparel&origin=searchresults

Thanks!

Ok, not that I care what your body looks like but I was wondering fi you could pull it off? If you have a good body for 40 years old I think it would be fine.

It's a beautiful dress. I think it would be most appropriate for play/orchestra or informal night on a cruise. For me it's not quite

formal enough for the formal nights, I like floor length gowns or palazzo pants. I don't get to get really dressed up much at home, so on the ship, I go all out. Have a great cruise!:p

We took a Holiday cruise last Christmas and honestly I don't think I saw 1 floor length gown. They ranged from tea length to short to some had pant suits on. Formal is not that formal! We are not going to a prom and we are not in a wedding. :p

We took a Holiday cruise last Christmas and honestly I don't think I saw 1 floor length gown. They ranged from tea length to short to some had pant suits on. Formal is not that formal! We are not going to a prom and we are not in a wedding. :p

Depends on your cruise line. On HAL, formal IS just that--formal. There were many men in tuxedos (including my husband) and many women in full-length gowns (including me):p I wasn't going to a prom or a wedding--I was wearing a formal gown for formal night, as is ALWAYS appropriate ;-)

An issue that comes up repeatedly here is "what is formal" vs "what can be worn for formal night on a cruise". The dress referred to here is NOT formal. However, I think it could be worn for formal night on most if not all cruise lines.

As for this dress, I love it. I also agree with previous posters that it looks very unforgiving, though it is jersey. Might be one where you'd just have to try it on! Also, if you have a generous bust at all, dresses where there is a demarcation line (a ribbon, bow, seam, change of fabric, etc) might not work--depends on whether or not all your bust is above the line or not;) That's why empire is typically NOT a good look for me--have to be very careful with that style, though I love it....

Formal does not have to be long dresses. I dressed formal for all 4 formal nights, all of my dresses were evening gowns, short above the knee sexy, tasteful and very expensive. :p

I also consider this very pretty dress pictured to be formal enough. It is lovely and will look lovely on a lovely figure. It would be formal enough for Carnival as you see all different lengths on there for formal nights; but everyone looks fabulous in the different styles and lengths.

There may be other cruislines that are more severe in their rules on formal dress.....not sure.

Formal does not have to be long dresses. I dressed formal for all 4 formal nights, all of my dresses were evening gowns, short above the knee sexy, tasteful and very expensive. :p

Formal absolutely means long dress however not everyone participates.

I think the dress is fantastic and don't think you would be considering it if you didn't have the bod to pull it off.

Formal absolutely means long dress however not everyone participates.

I think the dress is fantastic and don't think you would be considering it if you didn't have the bod to pull it off.

Well I hate to tell you this but formal does not always mean long dress! When my son was married last Oct. 2005 they had a formal catholic wedding, mass and all. I along with 12 bride maids, and both mothers and grandmothers went to Davids Bridal and they told us formal does not have to be long! It is any length dress as long as it is considered an evening gown, dinner dress and etc. There are several names you can give the dress! It does not have to be ground level or long as you put it. It can be tea length, below the knee, at knee, above knee. That is what the professionals say about this matter! :p Also, look at all the formal weddings you may see on TV, and magazines not all dresses are floor length! I think that is just your perception which is fine but just because someone does not wear a floor length gown on formal nights does not mean they are not adhering to the dress code! :rolleyes:

No it does not! ;) I looked it up and it does not say long dress! formal can be a short dress and can be long as well! We just went through this last year and I would think a Bridal shop would know what formal meant! Semi formal is just that, not as dressy and not as fancy of a dress! Are you one of those dress code police?:p :rolleyes:

That dress is lovely. I would wear it and I'm much older then 40. Good god people 40 is not old!! And I would also wear it on formal nite.

ROFL, rvrgirl! Heck, I'm 59; and if I had the figure to carry it off (far, far, far from that...dang it!), you would see me in it in a split second.....LOL! ......and NOT saying that it is for the more mature ladies either.....LOL! .....have to watch how we write things on here....might get handcuffed by the fashion police.....LOL!

I agree that the dress is not formal.

However, I am aware that according to some cruiselines dress codes it would pass as formal.

To me it is a short cocktail dress, or a dress you would wear to say a Christmas or New Years Eve party, or a nice restaurant.

You see, to me some cocktail dresses are not formal, in my opinion. But then I originate from the other side of the pond where our codes are slightly different, example a US tux is a UK DJ and a US DJ a UK tux (but, that's another story!). Different cultures and regions = differing views on formal.

If my other half was wearing a tux (DJ to me!) I would not feel formal enough in a dress like that.

If my other half was wearing a lounge suit I probably would feel appropriately dressed.

Just another person's thoughts.......:)

What the heck is a lounge suit?

Lounge suit is a mens smart business suit, you would also wear it as a guest to a wedding. Not quite PJ's!

What do you call them out here? Just a suit?

This is becoming quite an education, isn't it? :)

I find it all quite funny :D

Heyitsmejudy

You're quite right the OP never mentioned wearing it for formal night. I agree the dress is HOT!!! love it :D

Lounge suit is a mens smart business suit, you would also wear it as a guest to a wedding. Not quite PJ's!

What do you call them out here? Just a suit?

This is becoming quite an education, isn't it? :)

I find it all quite funny :D

Heyitsmejudy

You're quite right the OP never mentioned wearing it for formal night. I agree the dress is HOT!!! love it :D

LOL! Yes we call them just suits out here in good old southern california.

That's cute though!

Archived