Louis Vuitton safe?

Has anyone had problems taking a Louis Vuitton purse on their trip to Europe? We will be visiting Venice before our cruise and Barcelona after the cruise. I love my purse and just want to take it on the cruise.

I've been wondering the same thing, I've got an LV Tote that I just love and it holds tons. Taking it could go two ways...thieves will either target it as the purse alone is worth more than what they'd normally get out of a couple of wallets, or they'll just think it's a fake like 80% of them are and leave you alone.

I'm curious what others say, because I'd love to take mine, but not sure whether to risk it.

I have a genuine Fendi bag which I always take away with me. Mind you it has a shoulder strap and I always wear it with the strap right across my body whilst I am in Europe.

If the handbag only has handles, I would not take it out with me as it can easily be grabbed. You need to be on the alert for thieves. Often they will either grab your posessions or cut them. Also whilst out and about in a busy city, do not wear jewellery, especially in Rome. If you leave your rings on your fingers turn them around so that the stone are on the inside.

The other thing to watch out for are the gypsies. One of their favourite ways of robbing people it to cause a diversion, such as throwing a baby at you (usually it is a doll) and when you go to grab it, they then pick your pockets or cut your purses. One of the areas in Rome this happens is around the Vatican. Another diversion that people use is to ask for directions and while you are showing them on a map, another person is doing the deed. As long as you are aware that this can happen you will be fine.

Jennie

I have a Louis that I wear occasionally. I brought it to Amsterdam with me and was fine. I always wear my coach though when out in public, because the Europeans are not as familiar with this designer. Be aware though that the more you stick out the more you will be targeted. My husband and I have been living in Europe for the last couple of years (army) and know how to blend in. Blending in is the most important safety tip I can give you. Don't wear flashy clothing and DON'T PLEASE DON'T act like a foolish American. Not saying that you are or that anyone is, but there are those select few, who will make Americans look really bad. I have gone out a couple of times and seen this for myself; it makes wish sometimes that I wasn't American. It makes you a huge target. Just be careful and think safety. Hope this helps!

Just remember that Louis Vutton, Gucci etc. all originate from Europe. As long as you are not just looking at fellow tourists you will see many beautiful stylish French, Spanish, Italian (...) ladies (including brand purses) and also well dressed men. You might even feel better to visit classic cities in a classic apperance.

Nevertheless everything said before is correct. Be aware of thieves especially at tourist hot spots and in crowded public transportation.

But don't let yourself be limited by constant fear. Enjoy Europe!

Thanks for all the opinions everyone! The jury is still out on whether I will take mine along in September though.

Cruise Junky - I noticed you are from Vancouver, did you read the travel article about leaving Rolexes and LV's at home when travelling to third world countries in the Sunday Province yesterday? I don't have to worry about a Rolex (don't have one yet!). I hardly think that Italy and Spain qualify as third world countries.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone! The jury is still out on whether I will take mine along in September though.

Cruise Junky - I noticed you are from Vancouver, did you read the travel article about leaving Rolexes and LV's at home when travelling to third world countries in the Sunday Province yesterday? I don't have to worry about a Rolex (don't have one yet!). I hardly think that Italy and Spain qualify as third world countries.

Hi - not yet, I'll grab the paper at lunch and read it...thanks for the heads up

Archived