Update from Aboard the Dawn

xlivin0naprayerx

We were just informed by the cruise director that our third revised itinerary (leave Norfolk for Freeport today at 2 and spend Friday in Freeport) has been scratched. The azipod has still not been fixed and the weather is horrible. Our final itinerary is to leave Norfolk tomorrow morning at 6 AM. We will set sail for New York and arrive in New York on Friday. Passengers may either disembark in New York on Friday or remain onboard until Sunday and "use the vessel as a hotel." It is my guess that many more passengers will just go home when we arrive in New York in Friday, but I plan to stay aboard so long as my family agrees.

This cruise (obviously) has a VERY different feel than most cruises. We are confined indoors since the weather is terrible, and the activities have not been great.

This cruise has really been a disaster, but it's free so we really can't compain too much. Most of the passengers are now over it and just trying to make the best of a bad situation. After all, free food, free entertainment...the glass can also be half full.

When I get home (whenever that may be) I will give you my recap of the week.

From aboard the Dawn,

Marissa

PS - Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Thanks Marissa,

It looks like NCL had some tough decisions to make:( If it is any consolation the weather is horrible here too......and we have to work:o

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and just think you possibly could go and see some shows in NY:)

Sorry. It might have been better for all concerned to have never left New York.

Have they reported what's broken with the azipod?

Have they suggested how long it may take to fix?

I'm begining to worry about the folks getting ready to sail on next week's cruise.

If NCL cannot fix the azipod quickly, many of the future cruisers in the next month or two are going to want to know when the azipod will be fixed. It would be wise for NCL to report when they expect the ship to be repaired, otherwise, many cruisers will be jumping ship. If that isn't possible, NCL should be announcing before this weekends departure any intinerary change, which port or ports will be dropped until the azipod is repaired.

New York City is an important market. Leaving cruisers clueless won't please any of the Dawn's future cruisers.

This week's cruise should have gone to Canada or Bermuda instead of attempting to fight the stormy Gulf Current weather. I think NCL miscalled this one. A cruise to Norfolk isn't an idea cruise, especially with the bad weather. No sun, no fun.

If NCL cannot fix the azipod quickly, many of the future cruisers in the next month or two are going to want to know when the azipod will be fixed. It would be wise for NCL to report when they expect the ship to be repaired, otherwise, many cruisers will be jumping ship. If that isn't possible, NCL should be announcing before this weekends departure any intinerary change, which port or ports will be dropped until the azipod is repaired.

New York City is an important market. Leaving cruisers clueless won't please any of the Dawn's future cruisers.

This week's cruise should have gone to Canada or Bermuda instead of attempting to fight the stormy Gulf Current weather. I think NCL miscalled this one. A cruise to Norfolk isn't an idea cruise, especially with the bad weather. No sun, no fun.

Is not hind site wonderful:rolleyes: Monday morning quarterbacks are great too:D ;)

I sure hope they can fix it by Sunday. The worse thing, except for people being hurt that could ruin a cruise, is not going. At least for me.

I would prefer to be in sunny, tropical weather, but we have to take what we get. Maybe I better pack some winter clothes too.:D

Jackie

I sure hope they can fix it by Sunday. The worse thing, except for people being hurt that could ruin a cruise, is not going. At least for me.

I would prefer to be in sunny, tropical weather, but we have to take what we get. Maybe I better pack some winter clothes too.:D

Jackie

We sailed on our first cruise on the Dawn with only one azipod working. We got to St.Thopmas 10 hours late. First cruise, we were just happy being on the ship. Left Tortola 6 hours early to get back to NYC on time. There was no arguing on the ship. What's happened to the people sailing on crusie ships these days.

Hope you have a great cruise!!! Are you in 9506 this time?

Happy Sailing,

Monty

We were just informed ....We will set sail for New York and arrive in New York on Friday. Passengers may either disembark in New York on Friday or remain onboard until Sunday and "use the vessel as a hotel." It is my guess that many more passengers will just go home when we arrive in New York in Friday, but I plan to stay aboard so long as my family agrees.....

I really do not understand why people would decide to go home instead of enjoying New York City, or at least the ship.

You will NEVER get better hotel rates in NYC than this - FREE!

You will NEVER get better food rates than this in NYC - FREE!

But - some people feel better bitchin and complaining and carrying on, making their life miserable. They should sue THEMSELVES for making life difficult.

We sailed on our first cruise on the Dawn with only one azipod working. We got to St.Thopmas 10 hours late. First cruise, we were just happy being on the ship. Left Tortola 6 hours early to get back to NYC on time. There was no arguing on the ship. What's happened to the people sailing on crusie ships these days.

Hope you have a great cruise!!! Are you in 9506 this time?

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Thanks Monty!

We hit blizzards both ways our first time on the Dawn. We planned to leave Saturday and spend the night at our friends in New Fairfied, CT, an hours ride to the pier. They announced on TV if you were going anywhere on Saturday that it would be white out conditions. We hustled to get everything together and left at 5 PM Friday. It took us 8 hours to get to CT. Trucks were stuck all along Route 84 blocking traffic, and we were stopped for hours. We were only going about 20mph and did a 360 on 84 and never thought we'd make it anywhere. We ended up on the shoulder of the highway facing in the same direction, but it sure was scary. We were very lucky. We got to CT around 1 AM and couldn't get up the mountain where our friends live. We parked in a parking lot and called them and they came to picked us up in the jeep. Next day we went down and dug out our car which was buried to the roof. Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day, the streets were clear and our friend drove us to the pier. Piece of cake!

Had a great time on the cruise!:D

As soon as we docked, it started to snow and in less than an hour there was over an inch of snow on the balcony. It took our friend 3 hours to get to NY and another 3 hours for us to drive back.

I was reluctant to book this late in the year, but I did anyway. I figured I would be all packed ahead if snow was in the forecast. Since DH doesn't have to work Friday, I figured we could always leave early if we had to.

That was our first time in 9506, and we had a great cruise. It also gives us something to talk about, although we rarely mention the doughnut we did on 84.

We're not in 9506 this time. It will be different since we've been in an OS the last 3 cruises, but there weren't any available when I booked just about a month ago. We're in 11512, a mini and I'm sure we'll have a great time. I'll miss that extra pampering, but we've always had fun on any cruise, including when we started with inside cabins.

It's always great to see other cruisers with good attitudes. We seem to have some nice people on our roll call, including a couple we cruised with last October. We'll have a great time even if we stay in NY on the ship!!! It's all what you make it.

Our first cruise was in June on our honeymoon and we went to Canada and the Maritimes. I brought all shorts and bathing suits. Woke up the first morning to the announcement, 'Good morning, it's 31º' It was like that the whole week until we got to Quebec and Montreal. They never filled the pool. Back then I thought it was warm everywhere in June. Duh....:o

Jackie

The theater, the restaurants, the shopping... So much to do...

I have always been a bit intimidated by NYC because it's so big, but once I'm there I love it. The people are much friendlier than the bad rep they've been given, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Variety is the spice of life, different strokes, etc., etc.

We should all do what makes us happy. :D

Okay, how about cruising. It seems to be what we all have in common.

Jackie

so you got a free cruise,room credit,and a discount on another cruise,what am i missing??

ummm for some it is there vacation for the year..... lost time... week off work to sit in a port..... I think NCL handled the situation as good as they could have but regardless of this I do not think you can down play some people disappointment... and it does seem like the ships have been having a tendancy to break lately which would make me question the maintenance on them... just the facts

Our weather in SoFla has definitely not been "sunny and tropical". Our daytime highs this week have been high 60's and last night, we bottomed out at 43. Definitely not beach weather.......

I do feel for those whose trip was interrupted - no one could have predicted the terrific storms off Virginia and the Carolinas. Even in good weather transiting past the Carolinas is "iffy" with the currents - let alone trying it in tropical storm force winds.

I'm sure for those on-board that their next cruise will be smooth sailing............on calm seas!

We were just informed by the cruise director that our third revised itinerary (leave Norfolk for Freeport today at 2 and spend Friday in Freeport) has been scratched. The azipod has still not been fixed and the weather is horrible. Our final itinerary is to leave Norfolk tomorrow morning at 6 AM. We will set sail for New York and arrive in New York on Friday.

This has been my expectation all along once I heard they were giving full refunds (PLUS) WAY too early.

Yes, the cruise is not what people planned. It is a bummer, and can not be changed.

BUT.....

New York City is a MAJOR tourist destination. There is so much to do, and people would actually go home EARLY instead of taking in the sites!!! Why not take advantage of it?

ummm for some it is there vacation for the year..... lost time... week off work to sit in a port..... I think NCL handled the situation as good as they could have but regardless of this I do not think you can down play some people disappointment... and it does seem like the ships have been having a tendancy to break lately which would make me question the maintenance on them... just the facts

That is a ridiculous assumption.....bordering on libel:mad: ALL ships that sail from and to US ports are inspected by the Coast Guard and are deemed seaworthy.......what a crock, not the "facts":mad:

OP:

Thanks for posting. :)

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more posts from the ship. Norfolk is well within reach of 3G services (Sprint/Verizon EVDO, etc.) and people could have unlimited access if so equipped.

I know I'm not the only one. :D

I hate to admit it but I carry enough equipment to do a live broadcast from the ship via streaming video cast. I'd love to see how many people would watch too. We have a datacenter right next to google that could accommodate thousands of viewers.

All I would be doing is walking around the ship with a camera. People watching would see it in widescreen too!

I had booked this week last year but had to cancel. I lost a cancellation processing fee and I am glad that it happened. I feel so bad for all the people who used up all their vacation time to go on this trip. You have a good attitude to see the glass as half full. When you can take vacation again, you will be back on the ship enjoying yourself even more when you get to actually visit your destinations.

ummm for some it is there vacation for the year..... lost time... week off work to sit in a port..... I think NCL handled the situation as good as they could have but regardless of this I do not think you can down play some people disappointment.

Suprisingly enough, I touched upon this particular subject yesterday and when I got home today........poof! It was gone!:confused:

And yet, the homebodies that said all is good and NCL was the best for giving such a generous credit (free cruise + shipboard credit) when they weren't on the cruise, will probably be pretty tight lipped come disembark day I'll bet.

Archived