Help! I can't bear the thought of it!

TJL

Three wonderful weeks on QE2 early next year - but can I face those self-service washers and dryers on 3-deck?

You try sitting there for the duration, but you can't even pass the time by watching the clothes go round and round (the machines are top-loaders). On the other hand, if you leave the room for so much as 5 seconds, you enter a strange parallel world where the passing of time speeds up at least 20-fold. result? You pop back from a quick coffee in the Lido only to find the wash cycle has long since finished and your clothes have either been unceremoniously dumped somewhere or (worse) bundled into a dryer on full blast - not funny with nylon/lycra swimwear! Oh and your ship's ID card suddely identifies you as Rip Van Winkle.

Point is, does it work out horrendously expensive to use the ships laundry? Is it quick? Do they do a good job on things like formal shirts? I'm sure this has been discussed on other threads but if anyone can give a few tips then it would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Tim.

Always use the laundry service. Like on board is way to short to spend watching the washing machine. I can watch my own washer at home any time I wish. Yes, the ship laundry service is expensive, but so is YOUR time sitting there staring a household appliance while having paid to be on the ship. We would sacrifice the cost of an excursion to just to avoid doing our own laundry.

I've used the shipboard laundry for pressing an evening gown. They did a much better job than I could do myself, and were less expensive than my cleaner at home. Sure beat fighting for an iron in the laundrette on formal night!

Julia

I thought the prices were reasonable, in all the circumstances. Certainly dramatically less than the Waldorf=Astoria!

They charge you for this even on Signal Deck!?

I guess I'm just not used to hotel and ship laundry prices. (I guess I usually pack enough to avoid this.) I did have a shirt or two laundered this past summer on ZENITH and it was much, much cheaper than QE2, but that ship has no self-service laundry and the service wasn't nearly as great. (It was fine, but QE2's is almost comically good.)

By the way - and I know I'm veering straight off-topic here - am I the only one who finds the little "=" in "Waldorf=Astoria" to be just incredibly pretentious? I know somewhere along the way they decided that that's the correct way to write it, but I think it just looks so ridiculous... I mean, this place is supposed to be so great that instead of a dash you have to use an equal sign?

Archived