motion & sea sickness

dodygirl

I am sailing this weekend on FOS with my family and the forecast (I know the weather can change in an instant), says thunderstorms in some places. I have never cruised before and wonder if anyone has experienced storms while on board, is it really bad as for the movement and feeling ill ? I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance for anyone that can shed some info on this. :)

a great fruit flavored pill you dissolve in your mouth. One a day & you are all set to ride our 50 foot waves without any problem, but the drunk

walk. Grocery stores, drug stores, even discount stores have it next to the Dramamine which knocks me out & doesn't work as well.

It is also great for back seat rides in a car, amusement park rides, or any motion causing.

I've just come off Freedom (stunning ship) and always get motion sickness. Normally rely on Bonine and ginger tablets - this time I tried the wrist bands with the pulse points - absolutely brilliant - I will always use these in the future - only drawback, my photos - especially the formal ones don't look so great with blue bands stuck on my wrists - a small price to pay for comfort

I'm one of those people who get sick on elevators, rollercoasters or even if I spin around one time. My first cruise was last June to Bermuda...usually a rocky trip...plus we were on a small ship. I received the transderm patch, yes, perscribed by a doctor and also took Bonine tablets just in case. I never had a problem. We also were on the Mariner last November and again didnt have any problems.

If you have a regular doctor, you should be able to just call and have a perscription just called in for you. If you are unable to get the patch, I'm confident the Bonine will be fine.

Enjoy your trip. Hope this info helps.

Agree Bonine is the best and I get ill really easily. Remember it will not be as bad as a car because there will not be "scenery" flashing by...that makes a big difference. Best thing about Bonine is (unlike Dramamine) you can take it AFTER you start to feel ill and it will still work. The wristbands are great but for me get annoying for long periods. Take them both and see what works best for you.

I am sailing this weekend on FOS with my family and the forecast (I know the weather can change in an instant), says thunderstorms in some places. I have never cruised before and wonder if anyone has experienced storms while on board, is it really bad as for the movement and feeling ill ? I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance for anyone that can shed some info on this. :)

Take Bonine before you even board just in case. I wouldn't cruise without it! Works great and doesn't make you drowzy. Have a great cruise!:)

as I take my first pill an hour before our flight, then I am set til the next morning & I call it my reward as I pop one in my mouth when I wake up. Nice start to the day with the fruity flavor. Then I am set for storms & major waves that folks can't walk in. Seen too many sickos who didn't know they have motion sickness. I also take them before we go to an amusement park so I can ride away!

Whatever your choice of medication is, over the counter or prescription, start the day before.

I use the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine and take it at night, starting the night prior to leaving. I also will drink a ginger ale a few times during the week, if there is a lot of motion. I've tried the ginger pills and they gave me heartburn, the ginger candy I couldn't stand the taste of it. Even the Bonine or Dramamine can make you sleepy, the main reason I take it at night rather than the morning.

I add the wristbands if we're going to tender into shore, or if a shore excursion in a small boat is planned.

Prevention is really the key, sometimes if motion sickness begins, it's not easy to stop it.

I understand that there could be complications caused by the interaction of Bonine w/ alcohol. I would be concerned about taking Bonine each morning or each night and then having drinks on the cruise. And what fun would a cruise be without an occasional martini or glass of wine?

So I think I'll stick with the ginger - which, as I understand, does not have any interactions w/ alcohol.

Anything else I could use?

Don't worry too much--thunderstorms really won't cause rocky seas. Go to this website: Medeosail.com You can find out what the wave heights will be in the area in which you will be cruising. Anything under 6ft seas, you probably won't feel at all!

And do take the Bonine--starting a day ahead of time. Unless you plan to "binge drink" you'll be fine having a cocktail or two!

Another vote for Bonine (meclazine). It is the non-drowsy version of Dramamine. We sailed thru a thunderstorm a few years back. I am one who gets car sick... but I took the Bonine and DH did not. I was fine and he was in the bathroom until the storm was over. The ship was swaying so bad that there were few people out and about... and the lines at the buffet were VERY SHORT! :D

I took one pill a day in the morning.

Archived