Making a change!

parislady40

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the PG board and PG itself. For years, I have been loyal to the Windstar line, but I have a big birthday coming next year, and wish to spend it in the South Pacific again. We there there previously with the Windsong. I have seen such great posts from everyone on this board, so I went ahead and booked!!! We are traveling Oct 24th 2007. It is so far away, but this gives me plenty of time to get good advise from all of you, so hopefully it will be a birthday to remember. We will be travelling with friends, so that makes it special as well.

I have seen that many of you recommend taking the air with Regent. We will be flying from the east coast, and my question is how many days will it take to get over jet leg? Any ideas? I have heard as well that the ship rocks quite a bit. I have done a transatlantic 14 day crossing with rough seas and no problem, and when I was last in Tahiti on the Windsong, there was no problem with seasickness. I am not comparing, as I feel that doing so does not open you up to new experiences. I just want to have an idea what to expect.

I have so many questions, so any info is so appreciated.

Welcome! We've been on the PG 3 times, and used to see the Wind(star or song?), the one that eventually was skuttled at sea. Beautiful ship, it looked like a lovely cruise.

As for flights, you can do the cost comparison, but I think RSSC will come out best. But beware, if you're close to New York, they will fly you there direct, perhaps. I'm not sure I could take that 15 or so hours in the air. You might want to ask your TA what the likely routing would be. We have always stayed one night in LA to ease the transition (unless you deviate, RSSC will pay for this if it's a "forced overnight".)

A day to relax in a hotel before the cruise takes care of the remaining jetlag. From the east coast, it means that you will be able to enjoy those wonderful sunrises, but won't be much of a party animal at night. Being on deck in the morning watching the sun comes up is kind of a perk, the way I figure it.

I've never had any problem with seasickness on the PG, and I am prone to it. You can get some pretty big swells, and an occasional storm--we had people leaving the dining room one night as the ship rocked up and down on the way out to sea from Bora Bora. But I would bet that the PG wouldn't be affected by this type of weather any more than the Windsong. Always good to take some drugs along, just in case.

Thanks Wendy, for your info on the flights. I will check it out and compare. I think in the end, that we will probably get there a few days early and enjoy for a bit. We have booked a balcony on deck 7, and are so looking forward to this. I do not ever have a problem with sea sickness, but it seems as if several people have, in reading the posts here. Windstar has a shallow draft, but does not have much motion and rock. Just wanted to check. I also wanted to know if it is possible to prebook an excursion that you really want other than the standard 120 odd days out?

Congrats Soon to be Mrs. M. We will look forward to meeting you and your new hubby. This is the perfect place for a honeymoon. I love it there. Time will go slowly.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Archived