Torn Between Aus/NZ Cruise and NZ/French Pol.

kirky

I currently am booked for Jan. 2008 for Aus./NZ cruise leaving from Sydney but have also noticed a cruise that leaves from Auckland and does Cook Island, Bora Bora, etc and then heads toward Hawaii. Has anyone done both of these, if so which one do you suggest. I realize that both cruise are completely different in terms of the ports of call. I have heard some folks say that if you do the French Poly. cruise that you should be a water person because most of the excusions revolve around water which we are so that is no problem but we also enjoy beautiful scenery which I am sure the Aus./NZ cruise has. Any comments??

Can't comment on the Aus/NZ 'cause we are due to do in Jan. but did a cruise from Papeete to Hawaii a few years ago. Was an interesting experience but a lot of sea days and not much to see! Bora Bora -the crew called Boring Boring. Even the beach was not very friendly since it is coral/lava based. Loved it once we got to Hawaii but that was only the last 4 days of a 14 day cruise. If you do this cruise make sure you really love the ship your on and that there is enough to do unless you really love spending time in your cabin.

We have done separate cruises to Aust/NZ and French Polynesia. We thoroughly loved FP, but if I could only do one, it would definitely be Aust/NZ. If the only port you visit in NZ is Aukland, you will be missing the best parts of NZ. Keep the cruise you have booked. You will be glad you did.

Hi - I couldn't disagree more with the negative post about Bora Bora. The poster said, "Not much to see". You must be kidding. It IS the most beautiful place we have ever been. The beaches on the Motus (islets) around the lagoon are gorgeous.

Also, renting scooters and driving around Rarotonga, stopping at beautiful secluded beaches for snorkelling is about the best day you could possibly ever have.

In Bora Bora, you must get out onto the lagoon and into the water. The shark/stingray feeding excursions are terrific and usually include a BBQ picnic lunch on a motu.

Sorry, but, Hawaii does not come close to the beauty of French Polynesia or the Cooks.

We are also doing the OZ/ NZ cruise in January, 2008 and are very excited about it. We have been to FP and Raro twice.

Honestly, if I had to choose, and I had never seen FP of Rarotonga, I would do that one instead of OZ/NZ.

You will truly find paradise there.

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...
I currently am booked for Jan. 2008 for Aus./NZ cruise leaving from Sydney but have also noticed a cruise that leaves from Auckland and does Cook Island, Bora Bora, etc and then heads toward Hawaii. Has anyone done both of these, if so which one do you suggest. I realize that both cruise are completely different in terms of the ports of call. I have heard some folks say that if you do the French Poly. cruise that you should be a water person because most of the excusions revolve around water which we are so that is no problem but we also enjoy beautiful scenery which I am sure the Aus./NZ cruise has. Any comments??

Hi Kirky,

My suggestion is to work out exactly what you are after i.e, tropical islands or something different/adventurous. If you are interested in the latter the Australia/New Zealand is the way to go.

Hi - I couldn't disagree more with the negative post about Bora Bora. The poster said, "Not much to see". You must be kidding. It IS the most beautiful place we have ever been. The beaches on the Motus (islets) around the lagoon are gorgeous.

Also, renting scooters and driving around Rarotonga, stopping at beautiful secluded beaches for snorkelling is about the best day you could possibly ever have.

In Bora Bora, you must get out onto the lagoon and into the water. The shark/stingray feeding excursions are terrific and usually include a BBQ picnic lunch on a motu.

Sorry, but, Hawaii does not come close to the beauty of French Polynesia or the Cooks.

We are also doing the OZ/ NZ cruise in January, 2008 and are very excited about it. We have been to FP and Raro twice.

Honestly, if I had to choose, and I had never seen FP of Rarotonga, I would do that one instead of OZ/NZ.

You will truly find paradise there.

Sandra

Totally agree!

Life is too short why not do both of them.

Sorry to be a bit curt, but we got back from an Auckland to LA cruise via French Polynesia last night.

We solved the same dilemma by going to New Zealand early and driving around. When we got on board in Auckland, I made a point of speaking to the folks who had started in Sidney, and discovered that we had seen better and more by car than they did on ship.

Either cruise will have a fair number of sea days, so make sure you are up for that.

More when I get a chance to recover. If you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

If you are coming all the way to Australia and New Zealand I would do a land trip as our country is so big and there is so much to see. Going by ship does not touch the surface at all.

Whereas, visiting Tahiti (Paradise) it is great by ship. We did the 10 day Tahitian Princess cruise in 2004 and loved it. We did the itinerary to the Cook Islands. We are not snorkelers and yet we had a wonderful cruise.

We are returning in June to Papeete and this time we are cruising to Hawaii from there visiting a 3 of the Society Islands and then going to Christmas Island, Hilo, Kauai, Maui and finishing in Honolulu.

You alone can only decide what sort of holiday you want. A relaxing cruise visiting lovely beaches and seeing the most beautiful torquoise water in this world or do you want to see outstanding scenery and the Great Barrier Reef of Australia and the contrasting beautiful North and South Islands of New Zealand.

Good luck with your decision. Remember whichever one you choose to do, the other will still be waiting for you to discover.

Jennie

Archived