How do you as a parent handle this one?

stbmom

As long as they are individually wrapped (like Halloween candy) I don't see how there could be any tampering concerns. I personally think it is a nice and thoughtful gesture. However, I have 2 issues. (1) Allergies. You must always ask parents before offering any food because you would not believe the amount of allergies floating out there. and (2) What time is this meet and mingle? Is it before lunch or dinner? Some parents would not want their kids to have candy right before a meal and introducing the treat might cause an unnecessary ruckus for the parents (read: tantrum). My lovely DD, for example, would eat candy instead of her meal, if she could. Maybe offer it after the meal? And of course check with the parents in case of allergies.

I would agree--giving an individually wrapped candy cane is not much different than giving Halloween candy. It's a kind gesture. Most parents will allow their children to take wrapped candy (although don't be surprised if you get a few that refuse it). We've had people give our children candy as a kind gesture and we simply had to instruct them to eat it at a time that didn't interfere with meals or bedtime (sugar and sleep just don't seem to work together). It's often a bit of a battle but parents always seem to be able to prevail.

Curt

It's a nice gesture but I agree it's a good idea to ask the parents first. Many are limiting their kids' consumption of sugar and it can be a touchy issue if the kids see the treat and then their parents have to say no. Many well-meaning people have offered my girl cookies and candy and THEN the grownups look at us and ask if it's all right.

When we were celebrating my girl's 7th birthday on a Princess ship, we asked the counselors if we can bring the little cake (that Princess makes) to the fun zone. They said they can't allow it there because of potential allergies.

He really is a magnet (in fact, his name means "Magnetic Sign from God :)).

You have got me curious as to what his name is. Would you share it? And I can't help but think that by blessing him with this name, you both created this situation.....I don't mean this in a bad way but I think we create and invite things by what we speak. Hopefully this will serve him quite well in the future.

Archived