What to do in Skagway beyond leaving town

travelgirl87

For those looking for alternatives/additions to the train, car, or bus trips...

The National Parks Service has free walking tours in Skagway several times a day -- you do need to stop by the Visitor Center in person to pick up the timed tour tickets, though. We did it earlier this month, after we saw an informative movie on Gold Rush history and went to a ranger talk titled "Who Threw the Overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder" that included playing Victorian era games and singing songs. My niece, nephew and I all earned our Jr. Ranger pins (there is no age limit and my sister loved the photo op!) -- all in all, a nice way to spend a morning in Skagway.

In the afternoon, we went to the Days of '98 Show. Tickets are $14/person (I think) and can be reserved in advance by calling them. Get to the show a bit early and you can grab a good seat before the people on the official cruiseship excursion descend en masse.

If oyu rent a car and drie to Carcross you will see the most beautiful views.

Look at explorenorth.com this site has a milepost for the entire highway with details you will not find anywhere else.

Archived