Alaska Airlines - Anyone heard/use them?

cruisingw/mom

They are a real airline - mostly regional but they have expanded their coverage quite a bit. Some friends fly them all the time from Washington to California. It is actually their line of choice. They are a good airline.

As said Alaska is a pretty good airline. Not a charter operator. In customer satisfaction ratings (however those are determined ;) ) they normally rate near the top of the list.

Honestly, they're a big enough Airline that I'm somewhat surprised that you are so unfamiliar with them. If you use a frequent flier program, miles earned on Alaska flights can be credited to American or Northwest. I'm sure there are others, but those are the 2 biggies that I usually credit my Alaska miles toward.

Here's a link with a bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines

-Monte

Honestly, they're a big enough Airline that I'm somewhat surprised that you are so unfamiliar with them. If you use a frequent flier program, miles earned on Alaska flights can be credited to American or Northwest. I'm sure there are others, but those are the 2 biggies that I usually credit my Alaska miles toward.

I have flown them before (Seattle to Anchorage) and have friends who fly them all the time (live in WA) but where I live (in the Midwest) - we never hear about them. So it doesn't surprise me that people haven't heard about them as it isn't an every day option for us like it is for those who live West of here.

I do agree - it is a good airline and I would fly them again in a heart beat.

I but where I live (in the Midwest) - we never hear about them. So it doesn't surprise me that people haven't heard about them as it isn't an every day option for us like it is for those who live West of here.

I guess I read the travel section of USA Today (MacPaper) too much. They're mentioned there often.

-Monte

Although based in Seattle, Alaska Airlines is THE airline for travelling around the state of Alaska.

Their service is easily on a par with the big boys. Their employees take great pride in their company and it shows in the quality of their service. Gone are the days of great meals and the seats are in tighter than they used to be but here's a company where employees make the difference.

I've flown with them for over 30 years and they still remain my airline of choice.

Here's a sightseeing hint - prebook your seats requesting the right side of the plane (D-E-F) as you head from Seattle to Anchorage. Nearly all the scenery is on this side (weather permitting) and the approach into Anchorage takes you over Prince William Sound, the Chugach mountains, and lots of glaciers. Never tire of coming home and seeing this scenery.

I have an interesting story to tell. Last week I was watching the Discovery or TLC channel and they had a show about Disasters. It was retelling the event of an Alaskan Airlines crash that happened b/c personal in the mechanic department for the airline were told to falsify documents to say they were doing work that they actually weren't. Staff were overworked by the airlines attempt to increase the amount of flights per aircraft to keep up with the business and not go into debt.

It could have happened anywhere, and it was like 10 years ago or something I think. Just thought it was interesting I saw that when you asked about the airline.

I guess I read the travel section of USA Today (MacPaper) too much. They're mentioned there often.

-Monte

Like I said, I am aware of them and I keep up on travel news.... But here in the midwest - they come up as often in our search engines as Korean Air. The only way I flew them was because I had a flight from Seattle to Anchorage. Otherwise, they just don't connect with anything I can take from where I live.

You live in Washington and they have tons of flights in Washington.

Like I said, I am aware of them and I keep up on travel news.... But here in the midwest - they come up as often in our search engines as Korean Air. The only way I flew them was because I had a flight from Seattle to Anchorage. Otherwise, they just don't connect with anything I can take from where I live.

Cool. They need new search engines in the midwest. ;)

-Monte

Alaska Airlines (AS) also has summer routes from Chicago (ORD) to Anchorage (ANC) That flight fills quickly. American Airlines also Code Shares the ORD-ANC flights.

Does Alaska Airlines still have the Bible verse with the meals????

They are one of the last legacy airlines left in the US. Also one of the largest and they often receive top rating for quality and service, world wide. Whatever that means in todays cramped seat, no frill, cattle car, airline industry. But you can't really blame the industry, folks want cheap seats and they are getting them.

Last Updated: 20040211

Note: The order of this list has been determined by rank information gleaned from Google using the Google API. Rank is subject to change.

American Airlines

Northwest Airlines

United Airlines

Continental Airlines

Delta Air Lines

US Airways

America West

Southwest Airlines

Alaska Air

Hawaiian Airlines

JetBlue Airways

American Trans Air

AirTran Airways

Midwest Express Airlines

Spirit Airlines

Mesaba Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Aloha Airlines

Pan Am

Vanguard Airlines

World Airways

Atlantic Coast Airlines

Kenmore Air

SkyWest Airlines

Big Sky Air

Great Lakes Airlines

Cape Air

Pen Air

Colgan Air

Mesa Airlines

How well does Alaska Airlines do with luggage? I usually try to stick with the same airline when I need to make connections because I think I have a better chance of collecting all my luggage at my final destination. If I take another airline to San Francisco or Seattle and then tranfer to Alaska Air, do you think all my luggage will transfer with me? Or will I be asking for trouble?

Alaska Airlines (AS) also has summer routes from Chicago (ORD) to Anchorage (ANC) That flight fills quickly. American Airlines also Code Shares the ORD-ANC flights.

Does Alaska Airlines still have the Bible verse with the meals????

We got them with our meal when we flew first class in September ('06) .

How well does Alaska Airlines do with luggage? I usually try to stick with the same airline when I need to make connections because I think I have a better chance of collecting all my luggage at my final destination. If I take another airline to San Francisco or Seattle and then tranfer to Alaska Air, do you think all my luggage will transfer with me? Or will I be asking for trouble?

I think your chances are probably about the same with luggage transfer whether it is within the same airline or not. In any case, definitely bring a change of clothes and all your absolute essentials in your carry on luggage. When traveling I always hope for the best, but expect the worst with my luggage. So I expect that the luggage will not arrive the same day I arrive. If it does, great. If not, I have some clothes to wear and all my essential toiletries, etc.

And on my way home, I am glad if the luggage gets delayed. The airline delivers it to my home the next day (no need for me to lug it around myself), and they usually give me some sort of voucher as compensation.

Archived