Christmas Lights on Balcony?

willowoodf

Has anybody ever brought Christmas lights for their balcony? Does anybody know if this is "allowed"? I remember reading something about some sort of navigation problem with extra lights, but don't remember when or where it was. DH also remembers reading something about a special flat cord that was good for going through the closed veranda door, but he couldn't find anything about it when he searched. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mary

Mary,

Not a great idea. Depending on where you are on the ship (forward or aft), they could cause problems for the bridge crews navigation. The cord is also a trip hazard to crew and yourselves. Save the space in your suitcase and look at the lights around the ship.

High Seas

Has anybody ever brought Christmas lights for their balcony? Does anybody know if this is "allowed"? I remember reading something about some sort of navigation problem with extra lights, but don't remember when or where it was. DH also remembers reading something about a special flat cord that was good for going through the closed veranda door, but he couldn't find anything about it when he searched. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mary

I have seen other who do this and know that they were not told to take them down and had no problems with them. You could always bring something and ask when you get onboard.

There are no electrical outlets on the balconies. Leading a cable through the door would lead to loss of AC and cable chafing with associated risks. Most importantly, with the balcony fire of the Star Princess earlier this year in mind the cruise lines are investing lots of money into increasing the fire protection of those balconies, such as replacing the furniture with a low or non flammable kind. So probably putting electrical Xmas deco's on your balcony will not be appreciated!

There are no electrical outlets on the balconies. Leading a cable through the door would lead to loss of AC and cable chafing with associated risks. Most importantly, with the balcony fire of the Star Princess earlier this year in mind the cruise lines are investing lots of money into increasing the fire protection of those balconies, such as replacing the furniture with a low or non flammable kind. So probably putting electrical Xmas deco's on your balcony will not be appreciated!

Thats why as I stated you should ask first. :rolleyes:

By all means bring some Christmas lights with you, but - please - put them up inside your cabin. Besides the various safety issues already noted, there's the problem of messing up the fine lines of the ship as others view it - not to mention the large number of cruisers who may not celebrate Christmas.

Enjoy your cruise, personalize your living space but do remember to be considerate of the others aboard - passengers and crew.

agree with Dakrewser's comments

having been on more than one holiday cruise, I can assure you there are ample decorations throughout the ship

I have never seen anyone decorate an individual balcony and am not sure whether it would be allowed .. my "guess" would be "no" based on the reasons other posters have already mentioned

As Sea King says, there are plenty of very beautiful Christmas decorations all over the ship. They always do a lovely job of decorating for the season.

The huge Christmas tree in the center of the dining room is such a show piece. It reaches from the bottom level all the way to the ceiling of the upper level.

Last Christmas cruise we enjoyed, there were little wreaths on every cabin door.

Garlands and lights and tasteful decorating everywhere.

I don't think you'll feel any need to have lights on your veranda. Perhaps if you want something for yourselves inside your cabin but I don't think you'll feel like you haven't had plenty of 'spirit' around you.

Have a great cruise. We think HAL does a fabulous job with holidays cruises. The crews knock themselves out to make it as special as possible.

[We were supposed to be on Maasdam this Christmas/New Years, but DH had to cancel months ago due to business scheduling. We will be going to Noordam January 6 which delights us but I still have a little twinge that we won't be on that Maasdam cruise. We had been so excited about it when we booked. Not to say we aren't thrilled to pieces to finally be sailing the beautiful Noordam.......Finally!!!]

The huge Christmas tree in the center of the dining room is such a show piece. It reaches from the bottom level all the way to the ceiling of the upper level.

Is it a real tree or an artificial one?

Is it strong enough to hold us if the ship rolls over and we need to climb it to get out? Can it hold more than a couple people at a time????

;) :eek:

Hello Willowood F

We took Christmas decorations last year on Princess and shall be putting a litle tinsel hanging over the balcony this year. We are on Westerdam/Maasdam as we are cruising for Christmas and New Year. No lights though. When you are in port and the sun shines on the tinsel it looks fantastic from the dock. We also take our Christmas cards and put them up in the cabin. On the PO ships a lot of people hang a decoration outside there door really Christmassy.:) :) :) :) Go on try it!

Thank you all for your replies. We might bring a few Christmas lights but just put them up in our cabin. And if I can find any of those battery operated ones for the cabin, that would even be better! But shopping time is getting might short!

English Muffin - I like the idea of the tinsel, that would really look nice during the day and not be any sort of a navigation problem at night. Thanks for the great tip!

Sail - I'm sorry you had to cancel your Christmas cruise! Maybe next year. But you get to try out the new Noordam, so that's exciting too!

We are definitely going to enjoy the cruise - hopefully I'll find some time to do some posting while aboard!

Mary

Is it a real tree or an artificial one?

Is it strong enough to hold us if the ship rolls over and we need to climb it to get out? Can it hold more than a couple people at a time????

;) :eek:

lol! that is the first thing i thought of too! :o

Archived