Has anyone ever booked an S gty?

ekerr19

Last week I booked a cruise for our 20th Anniversary, given that it is a surprise for DH, I really wanted to book a Suite in the location we prefer, usually around 7053 on Vista, but all were taken. The best we could do is go with a GTY, which could be anywhere from SC to SA (I think).

Right now, the only cabin available to book is an Aft SC (6168 or 6169, I think), not one of those on the ends, but in the middle. I decided to take a chance on the GTY, something I almost never do anymore. I figured that the price is right and it's something I really want to do, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

In the end, if we get the SC, it's not a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone else has experience booking an S guarantee.

Never tried, nor really interested for that matter, in booking an S guarantee. For our last cruise that option was available but that was on the Volendam, an S-class ship, with absolutely no benefit to booking an S. In fact, I thought the whole idea was kind of strange as the Penthouse was booked (closed out), there's really no significant difference between the S cabins on the Volendam, and there wasn't a penny to be saved by booking as a guarantee versus booking a specific cabin. However, in your situation I'd probably book the guarantee and see what happens.

Thanks Randy, we normally book the cabin we want in S category too- since the only cabin HAL had left that could be booked was 6156, I thought I'd try and see if we could get a different S. I know we won't be getting the PS, lol - that's not the reason I am doing it this way - but rather than booking 6156 now, I am hoping that when final payment is due on 12/18, there may be some cancellations and perhaps we will be able to pick up a cabin on the Rotterdam Deck, where we prefer to be located.

I didn't word my post as clearly as I thought, I see that now - but I'm wondering if by booking gty, does it apply to all S categories? Our fare is based on SC and since I haven't booked GTY in years (about six to be exact) I'm not clear on the procedure... :confused:

No doubt that the main reason or interest in booking a guarantee is that slim chance that the "upgrade fairy" will visit. Certainly booking lower category in hopes getting moved up makes sense to and for some people. Lougee knows my DW well enough to know that if I booked an inside guarantee in hopes of getting an outside or better and then we got stuck in the inside....well....let's just say it wouldn't be very pleasant. It sure as heck wouldn't be the Love Boat. :eek:

The strangest guarantee I ever saw was a PS guarantee (I think it was on Princess but don't quote me) where there were only two PS cabins and one was already booked. No price advantage, no higher cabin category on the ship, etc., so what in the world did they expect from the guarantee???? I even checked a couple of sites, including the cruise line's, to see if it was a TA mistake it seemed so strange but there it was across the board. Wierd....

Ekerr - Understand. In this case your decision makes perfectly good sense. Good luck with a "better" cabin!!!! :)

There are no bad S cabins, Laura, so if booking the GTY means more money for other cruise accoutrments - then go for it!

Well, I went for it, lol!!! The worst case scenario would be an SC, which is totally fine by me, especially since we got a great deal.

I was telling someone else about this and realized that we paid more for our cruise in 2000 than we are now? Our cabin in 2000 was an H, we were so far forward we didn't even have a window - just a porthole, lol!!! I'll take the SC any day!!! :D

Ekerr - Good for you!!! As Dakrewser said "there are no bad S cabins". :)

Your other comment about cabin costs is interesting. My DW and I honeymooned on the Ryndam in '98 and because of jobs, moving, etc., etc., took a break from cruising until 2004. We missed out on I guess what were rising fares before 2001 and then, more or less, missed the immediate post-9/11 period when the floor dropped out of fares. We got a good rate in 2004, a fantastic deal in 2005, a not so bad deal in 2006, but it really caught up with us for 2007 where I'm paying (adjusted to a per diem rate) almost as much for a B category as I did for our S category last year. If I went back and tried to book our 2006 cruise, in the same cabin on the same ship for the same itinerary on the same basic dates, it would have been a 34% increase! :eek:

Ekerr - Good for you!!! As Dakrewser said "there are no bad S cabins". :)

Your other comment about cabin costs is interesting. My DW and I honeymooned on the Ryndam in '98 and because of jobs, moving, etc., etc., took a break from cruising until 2004. We missed out on I guess what were rising fares before 2001 and then, more or less, missed the immediate post-9/11 period when the floor dropped out of fares. We got a good rate in 2004, a fantastic deal in 2005, a not so bad deal in 2006, but it really caught up with us for 2007 where I'm paying (adjusted to a per diem rate) almost as much for a B category as I did for our S category last year. If I went back and tried to book our 2006 cruise, in the same cabin on the same ship for the same itinerary on the same basic dates, it would have been a 34% increase! :eek:

Randy, We saw our best fares in late 2002, 2003 and 2004 - the best being summer 2003 and March 2004. We haven't even been able to come close since. We did book 14 days on the Veendam next year, 11/2007 at a great price for a B, no deals on the S though - and then this SC that I sort of stumbled across looking for something that fell on our actual anniversary day.

I remember when I first found this site - one thread comes to mind - people posted that if they spent $150 or less per person, per day, they thought it was a "decent" deal - in my mind that was a steal, lol! :eek:

Granted we only book B and above but it's our major vacation each year, we only cruise once a year and we don't hold back. The rest of our vacation time is doing stuff around the house, visiting family, and the such. Our per diem rate for our upcoming Veendam is a bit above the $150 mark but not $200 and all in all we got a good deal....relative to what an S on our same cruise would be ($315 per person per day!).

Archived