Is it worth becoming certified on a ship

dresch25

Princess offers a certification on their ship I believe the price is $359,

1. Is it worth it

2. Will I get a better education at a dive school

3. If I decide to do it should I get the CD and book before I go on the cruise and do it on my time (Just finishing up with the semester at school so I'll have 3 weeks from the end of classes and my cruise)

TIA

Vicki

P.S.

I booked discover diving in Bonaire for $119 so the certification is not that much more.

If Princess is offering PADI certification for $359. take it. The going price for an open water certification is $500-$600. You would probably do one day of classroom, take the written test, one day of enclosed water in the pool, and 2 days open water, you need 4 open water dives for certification. If PADI is offering the course, all their instruction, including books and DVD's are universal. This will definitely be time consuming for a 7 day cruise, but if you want to get certified, JUST DO IT !

If Princess is offering PADI certification for $359. take it. The going price for an open water certification is $500-$600.

OW Certification runs about $250 here in FL and includes books and gear. It's a loss-leader to get you into the sport and hooked on diving. :)

You would probably do one day of classroom, take the written test, one day of enclosed water in the pool, and 2 days open water, you need 4 open water dives for certification.

A dive shop would probably give a lot more than 8 hrs in the classroom. When I certified in '94, I got 16 hrs of classroom and 16 hrs in the pool and of course four OW dives.

If PADI is offering the course, all their instruction, including books and DVD's are universal. This will definitely be time consuming for a 7 day cruise, but if you want to get certified, JUST DO IT !

While PADI's instructional materials are universal, their instructors are not. 75% of the divers certified never get past their 25th dive and much of that is because those divers never got comfortable in the water and being comfortable in the water starts with good instruction and developing the needed skills in the OW class.

What I'd suggest is doing the class work and pool work with a local instructor you've interviewed and comes recommended by friends or someone you trust and then getting a referral to do your OW dives with the ship's instructor.

I wish you all the luck in your pursuit. It's very easy for diving to become an integral part of your life :D

Certification here in Michigan runs about $350, so it's pretty comparable to what the ship charges.

The entire course is pretty intensive so I would opt for doing it at home when you have more time for reading and reviewing material. I know that I would NOT want to tie up my cruise with a lot of book work and studying. I would prefer to have my certification over and done with so I could just relax and enjoy diving while on my cruise.

here is WI the cert at a 5 star shop is just under 300, so the price is not that bad considering all gear and everything is included and you get to learn in the caribbean. :)

As far as course material, it all depends on how much effort you put into it. If you understand science a little bit, the material is not that bad. Just pay attentioon and you will be fine. As another poster said, we had multiple class sessions that were a couple hours of book work, and then hours of pool work. After that there are four certification dives to become open water certified.

That being said, go for it!

What I'd suggest is doing the class work and pool work with a local instructor you've interviewed and comes recommended by friends or someone you trust and then getting a referral to do your OW dives with the ship's instructor.

Ditto....

Getting certified at home is better... Splitting the difference works well but uses vacation time and fun dives for training. But, getting certified on ship is better than not and well worth the investment. We’re both PADI Advanced certified and feel that their program is excellent and it is the program that Princess uses.

Another option to consider would be to get your basic certification at home and work on your advanced certification on the ship:cool:

Our basic feeling is that in too many cases a guided resort dive doesn't provide enough training to deal with many situations that may arise during a dive or provide as deep a comfort level for the diver. While not rocket science, it is science (after all the astronauts train underwater) and a better understanding provides a better comfort level.

The "better" dive education will be earned somewhere like on the west coast where the conditions are more challenging (more gear, weight, cold and low viz). Both kids were certified in Monterey at 12 and when the hit the water in Hawaii diving was a piece of cake.

Keep in mind that it will cost more that the difference between $350 and $120 because in all likelihood you will (should;)) decide to dive in additional wonderful locations on your cruise. :D

Ditto....

Getting certified at home is better... Splitting the difference works well but uses vacation time and fun dives for training. But, getting certified on ship is better than not and well worth the investment. We’re both PADI Advanced certified and feel that their program is excellent and it is the program that Princess uses.

Another option to consider would be to get your basic certification at home and work on your advanced certification on the ship.

Our basic feeling is that in too many cases a guided resort dive doesn't provide enough training to deal with many situations that may arise during a dive or provide as deep a comfort level for the diver. While not rocket science, it is science (after all the astronauts train underwater) and a better understanding provides a better comfort level.

The "better" dive education will be earned somewhere like on the west coast where the conditions are more challenging (more gear, weight, cold and low viz). Both kids were certified in Monterey at 12 and when the hit the water in Hawaii diving was a piece of cake.

Keep in mind that it will cost more that the difference between $350 and $120 because in all likelihood you will (should ;)) decide to dive in additional wonderful locations on your cruise. :D We’d avoid the Antilla in Aruba, Did it and were not impressed. Not sure why they tout is as being the best dive in the Carib. The Wit Shoal (http://www.blueislanddivers.com/divesite/witshoal.htm) in St. Thomas is far superior and if you get a chance, go for that.

Ok, I guess Colorado has you land locked and know it. Seperately, the class room and the pool session are $250, if you want to do your OW in the tropics, like many of my friends have done. The complete PADI is $450, if you do the open water in a 85 degree natural spring (even in the winter) in Utah, like a cenote. In Maui it was $595. Anyway, just get certified, you'll hooked for life.

TIA

Vicki

P.S.

I booked discover diving in Bonaire for $119 so the certification is not that much more.

Vicki,

One week or two???

Some of the great dive sites on St. Thomas...

Navy Barges

http://www.blueislanddivers.com/divesite/navybarg.htm

SS Grainton

http://www.blueislanddivers.com/divesite/grainton.htm

Claiborne

http://www.blueislanddivers.com/divesite/claiborn.htm

French Cap

Cow and Calf

Packett Rock and Packett Reef

http://aadivers.com/dive_sites.htm

...just get certified, you'll hooked for life.

And you'll have an excuse to book another trip :D

http://www.divegrenada.com/sites.htm

http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/Diving.htm

http://www.nealwatson.com/Grenada/DiveSites.html

We really wanted to dive the Bianca C, but decided that it is too deep, and advanced generally requiring nitrox and/or a decompression dive for any length of time at the bottom. So, we found another in St. Lucia...

http://www.stkitts-tourism.com/EnjoyStKitts/Dive_Sites.asp

http://www.divestkitts.com/

http://www.caribdiveguide.com/kitts_nevis.htm

Maui- THe Bianca C is deep- therefore Nitrox is not just unadvisable but conterproductive and dangerous. I am sure that the shops in Grenada would be able to come up with a say 27% mix. Oxygen toxicity becomes an issue at even 32% if one overstays or goes deeper thant he dive plan.

Yes more time below might require a longer safety stop. But one could still go to the pool of this cruiseship which is not very deep and within recreational limits. Air can be used to 177ft according to my computer and others have done more. Trimix can solve the narcosis problem, which may have been what you were thinking of.

The bigger issue would be air consumption and lack of redundancy. An aluminum 80 is not going to give you very much time down under and no redundant supply.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going on the Star in March and we're splitting the difference. My son (who is 11) and I are doing the class here and then the open water refferal on the boat. The class here is $300 for the two of us plus the referal $$$ on the ship. Given we live in a COLD climate with not so great diving, I figured this was the way to go. I dove MANY years ago at club med and loved it so I wanted to take him.

We're on the Ocho Rios, Caymen, Cozumel cruise. I'm hoping this is good diving ;) Any thoughts?

I don't know if you will find anyone who will do 4 dives in one day. You might have to do your first 2 dives at one port, get documentation, and do your final 2 dives at the next port. Does the cruise ship organize the certification? The PADI classes are pretty universal so it should not be a problem. Your son will be very proud when he gets certified, I know my son was beeming.

Get thee to Orlando, Florida once that 11 year old is certified and throw the child into the Living Seas Aquarium (thar be sharks, turtles and a few thousand fish) or chum him to the maneating manatees in Crystal River. Were you over here in Texas I would feed the kid myself to the pup fish and turtles in Balmorhea or the fountain darters and visually impaired salamanders in Aquarena. Since you are going to Grand Cayman I would suggest the rays, but you will likely miss Stingray City if diving. Give a holler if ever through San Antonio as my 11 year old could use a victim diver to tow for his upcoming PADI Rescue Diver Class.:D

Dave

Life Guard, Divemaster, BSA Merit Badge Counselor, etc.

Yes princess does a Padi referal where you just do your open water dives with them. We are doing two in Grand Caymen and Two in Cozumel. My 11 year old is just pumped! He knows I dove with sharks YEARS ago and is hoping we see some.

OMG the manatees HE WOULD JSUT DIE! He LOVES manatees!

We live in canada or orlando is quite a hike. At some point though he will be going to the US for a dive camp (he's a 10m tower diver) and there is an AMAZING one in Austin. Wish you were closer that would be SO fun to have a dive buddy the same age.

Cath

The dive in the Epcot Living Seas Aquarium is awsome. I dove there two years ago and have two more dives planned for January and February with friends. It's a once in a life time opportunity for most people but since I live less 30 miles away, its more frequent for me.:D

Archived