Fort Lauderdale to Key West? And RCI.

DISFANS3

We are getting ready to put a deposit down with RCI Freedom for May 08 going out of Miami. Thinking about flying down two days early and renting a car for the day and drive to Key West? I need info about how far to Key west from Fort Lauderdale, has anyone done this? Also I would like to find a Hotel near Fort Lauderdale Airport that has Shuttle service to RCI-port of Maimi... THANKS.......

I did this once, although not pre-cruise. You can make it down in a day, for sure, although the causeway down the Keys tends to be slow going. I see on Google Maps that it's 190 miles.

You might want to look at some of the hotels in the Keys and decide what you want to see. Key West is nice, but there's lots of nice places in between too.

We are getting ready to put a deposit down with RCI Freedom for May 08 going out of Miami. Thinking about flying down two days early and renting a car for the day and drive to Key West? I need info about how far to Key west from Fort Lauderdale, has anyone done this? Also I would like to find a Hotel near Fort Lauderdale Airport that has Shuttle service to RCI-port of Maimi... THANKS.......

Disfans,

The drive is under 4 hours and is certainly a wonderful day trip. I get down that way at least half a dozen times a year and still never get tired of it.

There are no hotels that I'm aware of in Ft Lauderdale that provide shuttle service to Port of Miami.

We just did this 3 weeks ago although we did it post-cruise. We got off the ship, cabbed over to the Budget car rental place in the Quay shopping center (right across the street from the port entrance on 17th) and headed off for the Keys. We rented a Mustang Convertible by the way, what a hoot.

If you take the turnpike to Homestead City it then turns into I believe the A1A it will take you about 4 hours. If you want to stop and look around then a bit longer. We thought Key West was one of the greatest places we had been too. There is tons to do there and we'll definitely go back when we have more time. Personally, I didn't think there was too much happening between Key Largo and Key West. When we go back we will definitely plan to spend our time in Key West. I would recommend driving down there when you arrive and spending the night. The night life is fun and the sunset is not to be missed. We stayed in the Southernmost Hotel which was very nice but a bit pricey ($155 for one night). I would highly recommend it though if you want to spend that much money.

Like I said, we drove down after getting off the ship leaving the area about 10am. We had to be back at the FLL airport by noon the next day, we left Key West at 7:30am and were at the airport about 11:30am.

FYI, the turnpike is a toll hwy, have your $1 bills ready. It'll cost $4 each way.

You'll love this trip!:D

• 1 month later...

I do not know how anybody gets from Fort Lauderdale to Old Town Key West in four hours. There was a time. but not these days. There is always traffic, even during the slow season, and there is construction along the highway as well.

It is going to take five to five and a half hours, particularly since you are new to the roads. It is a beautiful ride. More so for the person not driving. The driver has got to pay attention going over the bridges (32) through the Keys.

Key West is divided in two parts, Old Town and New Town. New Town looks like every place else in Florida. Old Town looks like a New England Village dropped in the tropics. Old Twon is where you want to stay. Park your car and walk or bike around.

You will want to stay in a guest house in Old Town, of which there are about 96, that way you get a feel of the place. I used to live there, and when I return, I usually stay at Simonton Court. It is right around the corner from Duval Street, and all the good restaurants and bars. A five minute walk from Sloppy Joes. You can also check the Key West Innkeepers Association website, www.keywestinns.com.

Travel and Leasure once said that if you are going to eat inside in Key West you will want to eat at Antonia's or Marquesa. The staff at Antonia's tend to be their a long time, so it makes the service better. For breakfast you want to go to Blue Heaven and eat in their yard where neighborhood chickens and cats wander through. :D

The best romantic spot for dinner is Latitudes on Sunset Key. You have to make reservations. You get there by boat that you have to pick up your free ticket for by the dock. Someone will recommend Louie's Back Yard. It is on the river overlooking the Straights of Florida. Good place to go for a drink. Skip dinner, the service can be surly.

Tour Guy

I do not know how anybody gets from Fort Lauderdale to Old Town Key West in four hours.

It's easy, take I-595 west from the port to the Florida Turnpike. Continue on the turnpike south all the way to the end. Continue south on US 1 to Key West. Avoid the T-shirt shops or the shell shops on US1 and you'll make it in under four hours. :rolleyes:

Archived