Negative Mariner Reviews

rayrdh

My husband and I and two other couples are booked on the July 1st Western Caribbean Mariner cruise to celebrate our 15yr wedding anniversary. We have cruised once before on the Radiance to Alaska in 2002 and loved it! So I have been very excited about this upcoming cruise, to the point of obsession really, checking out Cruise Critic every day. I have been disheartened lately by a batch of very negative reviews of the Mariner in the member reviews section. What's going on? Has the Mariner's quality taken a dive lately? I am the type that am determined to enjoy this vacation no matter what, but I need a little encouragement assuring me that I made a good choice to book this cruise. Thanks.

We were on the Mariner two weeks ago (did the Eastern Itinerary). I did a live review with lots of photos while I was on the ship, the link is below. Other than the refrigerators not getting very cold, we had no complaints and would rate our cruise as excellent. I haven't posted a member review yet, but perhaps I should

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=440752

I think what you're seeing is a batch of reviews from one particular sailing of the Mariner that is dragging down the ship's averages. I won't go into details here, but that particular sailing provoked very strong feelings that undoubtedly led to people submitting reviews who normally would not do so.

That said, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've heard lots of rave reviews of the Mariner. Relax and enjoy the anticipation. Oh, and happy anniversary a little early!

Jim

I think that two recent Mariner cruises brought out a LOT of negative reviews - the first one was the cruise with hundreds and hundreds of out of control kids, the second one was the bears :eek: :eek:

Most of the time we have read positive things about her. :)

###

The out of control kids was the Explorer.... The Mariner had the Bears and the Hogs...

The Mariner is our favorite ship so far. I wouldn't worry about a few negative comments. Every cruise is different and everyone has a different experience. We found the crew warm & wonderful, service was excellent and the ship itself is beautiful. Go knowing you will have a fantastic time...and you will!

Thanks for the positive feedback so far about the Mariner. Pootersmom, I did read your online review and enjoyed it very much. Sounds like you had a great time. I chose this cruise partly for the positive reviews it had received, so after seeing this latest batch of negative reviews I got a bit nervous. I know, short of the ship hitting an iceberg;) , we will have a great time. Mainly because the kids will be home with Grandma and Grandpa, FREEDOM!:)

We found the crew warm & wonderful, service was excellent and the ship itself is beautiful. Go knowing you will have a fantastic time...and you will!

I couldn't agree more about the ship, service, and personnel!!!!

And as pinkrosedeb stated, your vacation will be what you make of it!

It's funny you mention this! I was just reading over the reviews myself and was surprised at the negative feedback. I posted a review for the 11/5 sailing and it was great!

We were on the HOHS sailing and it was not a problem for my family at all. Even my husband stated that this was the best cruise we have been on so far (and he can be a tough critic!)

I think everybody's experiences vary and we must have lucked out and had great service all around the whole week which really makes or breaks a cruise exeperience sometimes.

Me, too! I know we'll have a great time, but it really kind of

makes you want to more about the complaints - are they maybe

exaggerated a bit from a problem that was unresolved and they're

mad, or are there problems?

I think that you may have hit the nail on the head for the most part Shannon. The negative reviews apparently were on cruises that the passenger make-up may have affected the voyage in general. Our cruise was below capacity, no specific groups that I was aware of (cept for us hedonistic cruise critics) and really very few children. It was a very pleasant voyage with wonderful service, no illness outbreaks, no delays, no bad weather, etc., etc., etc. I can only hope that you are blessed with as much perfection on your cruise that we experienced on ours.

I thought I'd pop in here to give my vote for the Mariner & her crew. I've been on her 4 times now & would easily book her again in a heartbeat. The ship is great & the crew have always been wonderful. Last Nov I was on the cruise with the HOGs & didn't have a problem in the sailing. Enjoy her you'll have a wonderful time.

My husband and I booked a cruise on the Mariner as well. All the great reviews helped us to make up our mind about chosing this ship. The negative reviews do plant that "doubt" seed, but I'll use those as reminders that not everything is perfect. I'm planning on having a GREAT vacation and I'm not going to worry about a few bad reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to write a great review when I return in March! Hopefully you'll have a GREAT cruise too!

The HOGS go on Mariner each year it seems. I think the next one is Nov 5, 2007. I asked them....

Just a slight correction...HOHS cruise will be sailing Nov 4th, 2007...

I am trying as hard as I can to inform as many people as possible that our group will be on this sailing. I am hoping if the word gets out, maybe next year there will not be any passengers that are unhappy to share the ship with us. I know that is probably impossible, but I think everyone who plunks down thier hard-earned money deserves to have a great cruise and a great vacation.

sorry for the rant...

A cruise is all what you make of it. We went on the Explorer last year and a few months before we set sail I read several negative reviews about worn carpet, bad food, boring shows in the theatre, etc. Our experience was the complete opposite! Unfortunately people are far more likely to post about their negative experiences vs. the positive ones.

My wife and I have sailed the Mariner.....Loved it. We are doing it again in January.

My general impressions of the review board is that some people find a great need to pick things apart and really focus on the negative. Those people would probably find the fault in any event they attended (Did you see the wedding gown she wore?....oh my gawd!!!!.....I can't believe they served roast pig!!!!!....oh my gawd). You know the ones. We've all met them.

I will concede that sometimes @#%# happens. If people let it ruin their entire vacation then I feel for those people (well not really....LOL).

In my experience, people who wear a smile are greeted by smiles. Hence, you can influence the environment around you. If you are dour and critical the results will speak for themselves.

Cheers and have a wicked time.

Thanks again everyone for your encouraging words about our upcoming cruise on the Mariner. I will try not to stress about the occasional negative review anymore. Now my biggest problem is having to wait 7 long months for my cruise!:(

Archived