Christmas Cruise Question

frac

I was looking for a 'quick getaway' over Christmas and found the GCT 'Holidays on the Danube' which is a round trip from Vienna to Budapest and the GCT 'Rhine River Holiday' which goes from Amsterdam to Frankfurt. Both are 7 days on the boat. Both cruises leave on Dec. 22nd. For those who have done it or live there, would there be a preference between the two given the holiday season? I understand the weather situation (I think) but any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. The Rhine River Holiday has a trip extension in Heidelberg. Probably would consider that too.

Thanks,

Pat & Larry

I have done both trips during November/December. The choice between the two depends on what you are looking for. The Rhine River Holiday has much better scenery especially the castles along the Rhine Gorge from Koblenzto Mainz. The Holidays on the Danube give you Vienna and Budapest which are both great cities to visit during December. If I had to do one aain it would be the Rhine River Holiday.

Hhm,

Tough question!

I just checked the itineraries

Rhine River Holiday: Amsterdam - Nijmwegen - Duesseldorf - Cologne - Mainz - Frankfurt

Holidays on the Danube: Vienna - Vienna - Vienna/Bratislava - Bratislava - Budapest - Budapest - Vienna - Vienna

Rhine River: This is the more scenic cruise. And you will visit more towns although you´re missing Koblenz and Ruedesheim.

Danube: You have less cruising but more time to explore three major European cities.

As for Christmas markets: The tradition is southern. So the more traditional markets could be found on the Danube River cruise. Christmas markets are no real tradtion along the Rhine River and came up during the last 20-30 years. Anyway, most of the markets are closing Dec 24th. Some, but only a few will be open until Dec 31st. If you want to visit Christmas markets this is not the best time to do it. Budapest is closing on Jan 1 having a program between Christmas and New Years Day. Vienna is closing Dec 24th and Schoenbrunn Dec 26th. Cologne is closing Dec 23rd so does Duesseldorf and Mainz. Frankfurt is closing Dec 21st. Couldn´t find anything about Amsterdam and Nijmwegen.

steamboats

Archived