Volendam HAL, formal attire question

SheilaSailAway

Hey Gang!

I was wondering what can you expect in the dining room for this ship...also, what can be expected on the Formal nights (2 of them, right?)

and on a side note: what would the average age be of a Volendam cruiser?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom and insight!

here's to happy posting and even happier cruising!

I was on an 11-day HAL cruise (on the Maasdam) and we had 3 formal nights. I wore a long gown each night and my husband wore a tuxedo. We saw a large % of men wearing tuxedos and women who were quite formal. However, someone who was on the same cruise posted a review saying they saw very few tuxedos. Hmm....They were at the 5:45 dinner seating and I was at the 8:00 seating--some people think that later dining is a little more formal, is the only possible explanation I can think of....Anyway, you will see some people wearing pants suits or cocktail dresses, dark suits--but we didn't see ANY jeans or shorts, and very few sportscoat/slacks combos on formal nights....

Ages--I'm 33 and my husband is 38--we saw more younger couples than we expected (50s-60s retired couples) but almost no children, a couple couples in their 20s, maybe a few more (like us) in their 30s & 40s. But we had a GREAT time--age just wasn't an issue for us at all on that cruise....

We were on the Volendam in April for the Panama Canal cruise. You saw everything in the dining room, even on formal nights. For the men tuxes and/or dark suits were fine and I wore long skirts and dressy tops. There was also "semi-formal" nights supposedly, but we never figured that out -so I opted for dressy pants and jeweled sweaters. Worked out fine.

As far as the average age - this was during Easter, and also was a 18 day cruise, so that could make a difference, but I would say that it was in the 50-60's range.

Enjoy- it's a beautiful ship and a wonderful crew.

Barbara

Archived