Alaska shore excursion recommendations

kcbmarek

So we are booked on the NCL Star for our honeymoon on July 7-14 Inside Passage. I have already booked us for the glacier helicopter and dog sledding tour in Skagway. What are some other must do excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan??? I am trying to get the popular excursions booked now but based on the fact we are spending $900 on the excursions in Skagway, I do not want to spend tons more.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

whatever you do, don't book anything with Dolly Varden Tours. They sourced out to Coastal Helicopters, who missed our reservation. The company could not have cared less despite booking MANY excursions through them, and only reimbursed us for the not taken helicopter flight. I asked for a small refund to make up for the higher fare paid to another helicopter company, and they refused the small refund - less than 5% of the total amount we paid to them.

Poor customer support, failed reservations... book with someone else.

That said, the glacier tour in Skagway was amazing!!

A popular excursion in Juneau is whale watching with Captain Larry or Harvs and Marvs. But that costs +-$125/person. If that is out of your budget, you can catch a $12 round trip bus to Mendenhall Glacier. It takes maybe 30 minutes each way and you can hike near the glacier. I did that last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very easy hike though on the hike I took there were a lot of steps on one side of the trail. Not a big deal but in case someone has limited mobility that trail would not be the one to take. There is also a very, very easy short trail near the visitor center and a short film inside the visitor center. Entrance is something like $3, paid inside the visitor center. There is also a cable car going right from the cruise pier high above Juneau for something like $25/person for an all-day ticket.

In Ketchikan, a floatplane excursion to Misty Fjords is great but again that costs over $100/person. If that is outside your budget, there is a totem village you could visit, or just walk around the small town.

I too never recommend booking agents and always advocate going direct to the vender.

I suggest you look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, then repost with a small list. You will get far more detailed information pertaining to your interests. If you are going with the ship tours, you may realize some savings if you look at independent, but definately superior tours. My opinion only, this isn't the place to skimp. There are plenty of regrets sometimes with those who do- requiring return trips. :)

A popular excursion in Juneau is whale watching with Captain Larry or Harvs and Marvs. But that costs +-$125/person. If that is out of your budget, you can catch a $12 round trip bus to Mendenhall Glacier. It takes maybe 30 minutes each way and you can hike near the glacier. I did that last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very easy hike though on the hike I took there were a lot of steps on one side of the trail. Not a big deal but in case someone has limited mobility that trail would not be the one to take. There is also a very, very easy short trail near the visitor center and a short film inside the visitor center. Entrance is something like $3, paid inside the visitor center. There is also a cable car going right from the cruise pier high above Juneau for something like $25/person for an all-day ticket.

In Ketchikan, a floatplane excursion to Misty Fjords is great but again that costs over $100/person. If that is outside your budget, there is a totem village you could visit, or just walk around the small town.

Does the $12 shuttle take you right to the Mendenhall visitor centre or does it drop you off near one of the trails?

Does the $12 shuttle take you right to the Mendenhall visitor centre or does it drop you off near one of the trails?

The shuttle runs from the dock area to the visitor center. Here is trail information, http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

Very easy hike though on the hike I took there were a lot of steps on one side of the trail. Not a big deal but in case someone has limited mobility that trail would not be the one to take. There is also a very, very easy short trail near the visitor center and a short film inside the visitor center. .

this is the East Loop trail, 3 1/2 miles, It is off the trail of time, I suggest- taking the FIRST "exit" for the East Loop. This is all switchback, then take the stairs down. Be aware you get little view of Mendenhall- a couple "open" areas, and that's it. You do have a very nice view above Nugget Creek.

Budget Queen, hello again! You were such a great help to us for our first Alaska cruise in 2004. We are heading there again, this time on HAL's Noordam on July 1st. I'll be monitoring your excellent postings. Thanks so much.

this is the East Loop trail, 3 1/2 miles, It is off the trail of time, I suggest- taking the FIRST "exit" for the East Loop. This is all switchback, then take the stairs down. Be aware you get little view of Mendenhall- a couple "open" areas, and that's it. You do have a very nice view above Nugget Creek.

How much of the glacier can we see? We are thinking of booking a flightseeing excursion, but I would love to walk on the glacier as well as fly over it!

In order to most easily walk on a glacier out of Juneau, you need a helicopter flight with a glacier landing and a walkabout or trek. ERA, Temsco, Coastal and Northstar all offer these excursions. The West Trail provides access to Mendenhall glacier itself, but is a 5 - 6 hour hike recommended for experienced hikers only.

How much of the glacier can we see? We are thinking of booking a flightseeing excursion, but I would love to walk on the glacier as well as fly over it!

You have full views of Mendenhall from Photo Point trail and the visitor center.

• 4 months later...

Hello I am Reviving this thread:

Oosterdam 5/19/07

I have many doubts and questions since this is my first cruise ever!!! and my first time in alaska. My wife is totally depending on me for this trip and I really don't want to dissapoint. I feel I already made a mistake by booking VH guarranteed. I am completely clueless of what deck is better or what room? A little scared of great crowds of people and having to do lines to get some food? Shore excursions that we are interested in booking:

Sitka: 4x4 wilderness adventure (hope to see some bears?)

Ketchikan: rainforest canopy tour

Juneau: Whale watching (kayak?)

Mendelhall Glacier helicopter tour with either dog sledding (wife's pick) with trekking being my inclination

Victoria: no clue?

Any one been on any of these trips or excursions?

Hello I am Reviving this thread:

Oosterdam 5/19/07

I have many doubts and questions since this is my first cruise ever!!! and my first time in alaska. My wife is totally depending on me for this trip and I really don't want to dissapoint. I feel I already made a mistake by booking VH guarranteed. I am completely clueless of what deck is better or what room? A little scared of great crowds of people and having to do lines to get some food? Shore excursions that we are interested in booking:

Sitka: 4x4 wilderness adventure (hope to see some bears?)

Ketchikan: rainforest canopy tour

Juneau: Whale watching (kayak?)

Mendelhall Glacier helicopter tour with either dog sledding (wife's pick) with trekking being my inclination

Victoria: no clue?

Any one been on any of these trips or excursions?

You might get a better response by reviving more specific threads related to each port. Some people might not look at a thread that has such a generic title. Just my thoughts.

Regarding whale watching in Juneau, lots is written about that here. Alaska Marine Adventure, Harv and Marv and Orca Enterprises are the three main ones mentioned repeatedly on this board but there are others as well. The last I heard, Alaska Marine Adventures was offering a $50 discount if you mention the Alaska cruise tax special, bringing their cost down to $90/person which is a steal. The others all charge +-$135-$150.

Halnewby:

I really don't think you need to worry; I don't see how anyone's first cruise could be less than wonderful, unless it was due to matters completely out of your control. It's after your first cruise, when you have something to judge other cruises by, that it's possible to be disappointed.

You're going to worry so much that you'll ruin it for both of you. ;) Relax, have fun...

according to the websites the prices for whale watching run about:

harv & marv $126

orca enterprises $115

then like posted above,

alaska marine adventures is advertising a price of $90

we did orca enterprises, had a great time and learned a lot.

With full boat of 6 people Harv and Marv offers a 10% discount, bringing the cost to $113.40 pp. (We just found out our boat is now full and Eileen e-mailed me the info about the new price with discount.)

It's so cool that we get that discount. Now we're on a small boat, 6 people, for less than on ORCA. Who woulda thunk?

Sam

You might get a better response by reviving more specific threads related to each port. Some people might not look at a thread that has such a generic title. Just my thoughts.

Regarding whale watching in Juneau, lots is written about that here. Alaska Marine Adventure, Harv and Marv and Orca Enterprises are the three main ones mentioned repeatedly on this board but there are others as well. The last I heard, Alaska Marine Adventures was offering a $50 discount if you mention the Alaska cruise tax special, bringing their cost down to $90/person which is a steal. The others all charge +-$135-$150.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!!!! I will definetly take your advice

• 4 weeks later...

HALNEWBY: There is a Roll Call for the 5/19 Oosterdam cruise. I hoped you might spot it and add your names to the list. So far there are 6 of us, plus you and wife. It'd be nice if you'd stop by and say hello! Did you get your VH cabin assignments yet? We haven't.

Linda in DFW

Archived