HAL and over-amplified music ... a bad trend

Vic The Parrot

waunabcruizin Don't get you knickers in a twist. All is well. Just got off 25 days on the Zaandam. There is only one announcement daily at 1pm; first the Captain with the daily info and then the CD with what is happening. There will be an announcement on port days when the ship is cleared. Otherwise it is blessedly announcement free.

Ditto for the Amsterdam. The 1:00 o'clock "voice from the bridge" ... generally the navigator on our ship, as opposed to the captain ... and then the CD to give a brief recap on the afternoon's goings on. No special Bingo announcements, no loud music at all. Even at lunchtime ... I don't recall the music at the Lido pool being that loud either.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On all of our last cruises -- Ryndam, Amsterdam, Statendam, Volendam -- the music was very LOUD in all the lounges -- even the Explorer's Lounge -- even at the aft pool!!!

We used to love to sit and have a cocktail before dinner in either the Ocean Bar or the Crow's nest -- not anymore. And we used to have after dinner drinks -- not any more. The music is way too loud for us.

If another couple joins you, you can't even carry on a conversation becuase of the loud music.

The trend is everywhere! How many times have you been enjoying the quiet of your home when someone drove by with their vehicle sound system booming bass so strong that it vibrates your walls? It's ridiculous! These people are losing their hearing because of it. Maybe that's why the sound on the ship is so high because their hearing is so flawed they don't think it's loud at all.

really hard to decide which I disdain more: someone yelling into a cellphone (anywhere, anytime) or loud music

have to admit though, in recent cruises I haven't noticed a noise problem other than at aft pool once or twice .. and all that took was a request to turn it down

by the by: can't say enough great things about Jazzy!

what a character and what a superb gentleman:)

maybe someone could start a thread on which "Jazzy costume" they enjoy the most .. I'm slightly partial toward the Easter Bunny:D

really hard to decide which I disdain more: someone yelling into a cellphone (anywhere, anytime)

SeaKing -

This is my biggest pet peeve. Why in the world do people do this? In my mind it has to be the rudest form of behavior. If I must use my cellphone in public, (and it must be important enough), I use it where I won't be disturbing others. If I'm with a group of friends or something - it's different and I will usually excuse my self and keep the call brief.

I am forever amazed by people just shouting into phones in the grocery store, bank, post office, elevator - you name it. I just want to turn to them and say "Please, have some consideration for the rest of us." I think they have no idea that the rest of us would rather not have to hear their conversations!

One guy was actually at the gas pump next to me talking on the phone and when I mentioned that he might want to put the phone away, he looked at me like I was an idiot. I thought to myself, fine - he wants to endanger himself by yakking on the phone while pumping gas - but not when he's next to me. I pointed to the sign on the pump that warns about electronic use and sparks and he just shrugged and kept talking. I left.

Now people are going to be able to use cellphones on HAL ships... :(

I was recently reading posts on CC and one gal said that she likes to bring her stereo along and put the speakers on her balcony!! :eek:

Can you imagine being in cabins either side of this - I wouldn't stand for it!

No, I can't imagine. I would not stand for it (either). Some people are just inconsiderate of others. It's all about them. We live in such a Me-Me world.

One guy was actually at the gas pump next to me talking on the phone and when I mentioned that he might want to put the phone away, he looked at me like I was an idiot. I thought to myself, fine - he wants to endanger himself by yakking on the phone while pumping gas - but not when he's next to me. I pointed to the sign on the pump that warns about electronic use and sparks and he just shrugged and kept talking. I left.

Aaahh ...... to see him burst into flames. Stupid moron LOL

:D

I was the earlier post about loud music and was very pleased that the Volendam had low to normal volumes of recorded music. Live music was at normal volume except the showroom was a bit loud. Especially the lady that yodelled.

I was thrilled because I too do not like loud music. But I think those who think HAL could go to no background music will be disappointed there are just to many people now who can not stand silence.

Archived