which cruise line

pisces1

Husband and I are planning an Alaskan cruise Spring 2007. Need to leave from Seattle (round-trip) for a multitude of reasons. Since the scenery plays such a big part of this journey, we are not too concerned about an abundance of on board activities. Our priorities are the staterooms and the dining. We are in our early 40's and enjoy our private time on our balcony. Have sailed on Norwegian, Cunard, and Celebrity, but have no experience with the lines that fit into our itinerary. Any suggestions in regards to Holland vs. Princess, vs. Royal Caribbean?

NCL has 2 ships that sail from seattle, we needed to leave from that port due to family living there. we did the Star last sept (see links in signature). loved the ship..but it's doing another route next year and the new NCL ship is doing glacier bay.

If your priority is scenery, you are taking the least scenic route. I agree, Glacier Bay would be my preferece over all else with a Seattle sailing. The NCL Pearl is the only ship, I believe?? Princess has a poor routing on their round trips. If you go with HAL, the priority for me would be Hubbard glacier and not Tracy Arm with your beg. of the season sailing since those ships don't get up to the glaciers. Look over your chosen cruiselines and factor in heavy, routing, glacier, time in ports.

Vancouver is a short transfer away, allow 4 hours with superior routing and HAL offering one of the best scenic itineraries.

Thanks for your responses. I would probably change to Vancouver and timing if I am sacrificing scenery. Budget Queen what HAL ship is it that you mention with the best itinerary? Thanks

The ships have changed for next year. Look for the round trip Vancouver HAL that does both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Excellent scenery loaded. :)

HAL's Zuiderdam and Zaandam both do round trip itenararies from Vancouver - Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan. Zuiderdam departs Vancouver Saturdays, Zaandam on Wednesdays. Slightly different port times. Zuiderdam is a larger, newer ship (1848 passengers) with more balconies.

For a good description and comparison of HAL's classes of ships, go the HAL board and look up the first thread.

I've discovered that itenararies is a difficult word to spell. You're tempted to spell it itenaries but it's wrong.

Again, thanks for the insights. This has helped a great deal. Always wanted to see Vancouver.....it's just more train rides. I don't fly so I will be taking Amtrak from sea to shining sea which will be a very long journey by itself. I guess 4 more hours won't make me go over the edge!

Again, thanks for the insights. This has helped a great deal. Always wanted to see Vancouver.....it's just more train rides. I don't fly so I will be taking Amtrak from sea to shining sea which will be a very long journey by itself. I guess 4 more hours won't make me go over the edge!

Those 4 hours are very scenic!:) Request seating on the west side of the train for best views of the water's edge.

Need to leave from Seattle (round-trip) for a multitude of reasons. Since the scenery plays such a big part of this journey, we are not too concerned about an abundance of on board activities.

Like Toyz, we also did the NCL Star cruise out of Seattle last September. Click on my name, and a drop-down menu will take you to my homepage where you can see the scenery we witnessed. It was outstanding!

My understanding is that the Pearl will be doing that same itinerary in 2007.

Archived