Kenai Peninsula vs Matsu Valley/Talkeetna

LarryF

After 2 nights in Seward,we are currently planning to drive to the Mat-su Valley with an overnight at Sheep Mountain Lodge with a Glacier Trek on Matanuska Glacier. Then drive to Talkeetna for an overnight and a possible Summit flightseeing tour. Then it's on the Denali for 2 nights...

I am now considering taking a more relaxing approach and spend 2 nights in the Cooper's landing area doing some light hiking and taking a river float and seeing some of the sights on along the Sterling Hwy (would love to go to Ninilchik to see the Russion Orthodox Church). The thought of sitting on the porch at the Riverside Lodge staring at the Kenai River and surrouding mountains is really appealing.

My main goal in Alaska is to see the most incredible scenery as possible. Given the choice of 2 nights in Cooper's landing area versus 2 nights in Mat-su Valley and Takeetna, what do some of you that have been to both areas suggest?

Thanks,

Larry

The Sterling Highway is pretty dull after Cooper Landing until you get to the Cook Inlet. If you go that far, the best scenery is Homer, with plenty to see and do there for a couple nights. Cooper Landing is heavy on the fishing. If you only want a raft ride and some hikes, perhaps head to Homer after an afternoon at Cooper Landing??

On the scale for ME, Glacier Trekking would win out, it's fantastic, and if you can get Hatcher Pass, another big plus, that would be my priority, having visited all these areas several times. BUT, you need to decide for your priority of traveling, there wouldn't be enough in Cooper Landing for me for 2 overnights.

We spent two nights in Cooper Landing at the Kenai Princess. Loved it! We drove to Seward for the 6 hr. Kenai Fjord cruise and then back to Cooper Landing for the night. Some on this board would disagree, but we loved the remoteness of Cooper Landing and would prefer staying there to Seward. If you just like to hike, do a float trip, fish, and just hang out in a beautiful, remote area, this is a great place. The Kenai Princess has a 2 for 1 coupon in the Alaska Toursaver Book, so we only paid $250 for 2 nights. The rooms are very large and have a nice fireplace. We saw two bears playing in the Kenai River--an added bonus!

We spent two nights in Cooper Landing at the Kenai Princess. Loved it! We drove to Seward for the 6 hr. Kenai Fjord cruise and then back to Cooper Landing for the night. Some on this board would disagree, but we loved the remoteness of Cooper Landing and would prefer staying there to Seward. If you just like to hike, do a float trip, fish, and just hang out in a beautiful, remote area, this is a great place. The Kenai Princess has a 2 for 1 coupon in the Alaska Toursaver Book, so we only paid $250 for 2 nights. The rooms are very large and have a nice fireplace. We saw two bears playing in the Kenai River--an added bonus!

Two questions if you don't mind: what route did you take from Seward to Cooper Landing and how long did it take? And where can I get the Alaska Toursaver Book? Thanks!

Archived