Hotel Galvez or Harbor House?

Cardinal Cruiser

We are staying the night before in galvston and have narrowed our hotel selection to hotel galvez or the harbor house. We are flying and having a distant relative drive us to galveston. This means we will have no transportion in Galveston. I was hoping that anyone that has stayed at these hotels, or even better both hotels, could confirm the information. I was just wanting to clear up a few issues and ask a few questions before we decide.

1). Getting to the Ship? Hotel Galvez has a shuttle, but is HH reasonably close and logical to walk from?

2). The Strand? HH is basically in the strand, does Galvez have a trolly that runs to the strand.

3). Pool? I know the HH does not have a pool. How convienent is it to go to galvez (without a car) and use the pool? Also, Is it even possible to swim in the pool in January, or will it be too cold.

4). Breakfast? HH has a continental breakfast. I think Hotel galvez has a buffet breakfast, but you must pay.

5). Overall appearance and taste? the pics on the website both look good, but those are professionally done. The HH is rated a whole star below the galvez. Any reason why?

I think that's enough questions for now. Any information will be well received. Any recent photos would help as well.

We are staying the night before in galvston and have narrowed our hotel selection to hotel galvez or the harbor house. We are flying and having a distant relative drive us to galveston. This means we will have no transportion in Galveston. I was hoping that anyone that has stayed at these hotels, or even better both hotels, could confirm the information. I was just wanting to clear up a few issues and ask a few questions before we decide.

1). Getting to the Ship? Hotel Galvez has a shuttle, but is HH reasonably close and logical to walk from?

2). The Strand? HH is basically in the strand, does Galvez have a trolly that runs to the strand.

3). Pool? I know the HH does not have a pool. How convienent is it to go to galvez (without a car) and use the pool? Also, Is it even possible to swim in the pool in January, or will it be too cold.

4). Breakfast? HH has a continental breakfast. I think Hotel galvez has a buffet breakfast, but you must pay.

5). Overall appearance and taste? the pics on the website both look good, but those are professionally done. The HH is rated a whole star below the galvez. Any reason why?

I think that's enough questions for now. Any information will be well received. Any recent photos would help as well.

We just came from the pier. The Harbor House is literally at the pier. It is just two blocks from the strand and there are plenty of nice restaurants and shopping. It looked like a really nice place to hang out, but it's freezing out today. Don't know about breakfast or pools. But, a light continental breakfast is all you need before a week of eating on the cruise! Overall appearance would go to Galvez (which is a little far from the Strand). It's very spread out and beautiful. HH is sort of sitting sideways between the restaurants at the pier.

My pick would be HH for sure. It's right at the pier and there are wonderful restaurants and great shopping within walking distance. The Galvez is in a different area and you would have to take a taxi to the Strand. The HH is a very nice hotel, it's just at the pier so it's sort of in an industrial location, so you don't have the nice grounds, trees, etc. You just have a parking lot, but way more fun things to do.

We are here for our cruise tomorrow. Have fun!

The Galvez "Queen of the Gulf" is an historic hotel (1911) located on the Seawall , it's very nicely done although with most historic properties the rooms are small. There is a trolley by the hotel that goes to the Strand and harbor area only about a mile or so.

Harbor House is a small unique hotel on the harbor itself, right by the terminals and the Texas Seaport museum with the "Tall ship Ellissa", if you are up early, you can watch your ship come in.

Certainly there's greater choice and amenities at the Galvez, but Harbor House would be a special place to start a cruise.

We loved the Harbor House Hotel when we stayed there. We had a Habor Side room and early in the morning the day of the cruise we saw our ship come in and dock. You almost feel like your on the ship from the vibration of the engines. It made us even more excited to cruise. I would stay at HH over Galvez for just that alone. We went to HG it's very elegant the pool is small and it is more expensive than HH. The room, in the HH are very spacious. We were a family of 4 and had plenty of room. We sailed in April and it was in the 70's. The beaches were deserted but walkable.:)

Forgive me for dropping in on this thread, but is HH at the same peir that I would catch Grand Princess at? I keep getting mixed info re: Houston/Galveston. Grand I believe goes out of Gaveston. I think we are going to fly into Hobby. I think someone on one of these threads also said it was closer than Houston's airport. Can anyone confirm this information. It would be a great help in deciding which cruise we want to take in April.

You Are Right . The Houston Hobby Airport Is Closer To Port Of Galveston And The Port Of Houston Than The Houston International Airport. Hobby Is A Much Easier Airport To Fly Into And Out Of . It Is Not Nearly As Large.

We Are Staying At The San Luis Hotel On Galveston Island Before Our Cruise This Month . We Stayed With Them Last Year And It Was Very Nice. They Also Take You To The Pier And Pick You Up After The Cruise . They Will Keep Your Vehicle For Free If You Stay With Them . The Holiday Inn And The Hilton Will Also . They All Have The Same Owners .the Rates Are Better If You Book It Yourself Than Through The Cruise Lines .

You Do Still Have To Get Transportation From The Airport To The Ship . The Cruise Lines Have A Tour Of Galveston And Houston And Takes You To The Airport After The Tour . Of Course Their Are Just Buses For That And The Taxis. You Might Check The Port Of Galveston Website For More Info .

Hope I Could Help A Little .

Cardinal Cruiser

First congratulations on your world championship.........I have been a Cardinal fan for 50 years and it is great to see them win again.

Go with the Galvez..........the difference between the two hotels is night and day..........the Galvez is a Wyndam hotel.......everything is elegant. Yes you will pay more but you will be glad you did. Check to bid the room on Priceline..........On Sunday they have a champagne brunch OR a regular buffet..........the champagne brunch is very expensive so stay with the regular buffet which isn't cheap either...........

Good luck...........

Cardinal Cruiser

First congratulations on your world championship.........I have been a Cardinal fan for 50 years and it is great to see them win again.

Go with the Galvez..........the difference between the two hotels is night and day..........the Galvez is a Wyndam hotel.......everything is elegant. Yes you will pay more but you will be glad you did. Check to bid the room on Priceline..........On Sunday they have a champagne brunch OR a regular buffet..........the champagne brunch is very expensive so stay with the regular buffet which isn't cheap either...........

Good luck...........

both the galvez and harbour house are wyndam hotels!!!!! hh was bought out a few years ago. prior to the buy out, HH was to have a restaurant on the bottom floor. when we were last there, dec '05 we understood that the bottom floor was now strictly a room for rent for parties, wedding etc.

all that said, HH is the way to go. literally 2 blocks from the strand and the pier. we have never been disappointed staying at HH and highly recommend it.

both the galvez and harbour house are wyndam hotels!!!!! hh was bought out a few years ago. prior to the buy out, HH was to have a restaurant on the bottom floor. when we were last there, dec '05 we understood that the bottom floor was now strictly a room for rent for parties, wedding etc.

all that said, HH is the way to go. literally 2 blocks from the strand and the pier. we have never been disappointed staying at HH and highly recommend it.

Didn't realize that.........thanks for correcting me. I always thought it was the Galvez and the Tremont that were Wyndam hotels........so thanks for the correction......

Having said that..........it depends what you want........there really is a big difference between the Galvez and HH...........highly recommend the Galvez.

Archived