Debarkment Timeframe-MIA to FLL

mahamc

I'm looking to get feedback from people who have cruised out of Miami and returned home from Ft. Lauderdale airport. (1) How long is the "norm" to get off the ship once it docks, barring any unforeseen circumstances? (2) Is it unrealistic (barring unforeseen circumstances) to expect to arrive at the FLL airport by 10 am? I will have a private car waiting for us at the Port. I've booked an 11:10 am return flight for our family of 4 and am seriously regretting it. Unfortunately, it's nonrefundable and I used a $400 credit to book which is nontransferable. In addition, I need to be back in Phila. by 6:00 pm for an event. Has anyone booked a flight in this timeframe and made it? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Theorhetically you should make it if you do self-debarkation, any delay and you won't make it. We would not have in September, customs was short staffed and half our party got held inside the building while they moved from self-debark to regular debark even though our people were self debarking.

FLL was a zoo through security etc...

ouch- hopefully the airlines will try to change your flight then you can change it to a later time for free.

it takes 45 minutes if the traffic is good.. 2 hours to check in and get through the security. You will need to be at the airport by 9:15.

The only way I see this possible-- self assist--carry off all your luggage yourself. or ask for early off tags-- but then that might not happen to get you off til after 9am.

Check www.cruisecal.com and see how many ships are debarkating the day you get off. When we get off in FLL in Feb there will be 9 ships.. That airport will be a zoo that morning. Getting to the airport by 10 will not help you through security.

I would check your flights every day-- make sure they didnt move you to a different flight-- found USAir did that to me yesterday--took my 1pm flight and made it 4:30 so I was able to change it for free to noon.

We just returned from our cruise on Monday after thanksgiving. We had a 10:28a.m. flight home and were very nervous. We did self disembarkation and were off the ship by 7:30. We checked-in for our flight on the ship on Sunday so we didn't need to check in at the airport. Also we packed lightly so we didn't need to check our luggage. One wheeled suitcase and a back pack for each of us. We ended up being at the gate at 8a.m. and were able to fly home on a standby flight at 8:20 out of miami. We would of been fine even if we needed to check in and check luggage.

I realize that many things could of happened to delay us but it did work out. We also cruised over the summer and flew out of FLL from Miami port. We did self assist that cruise also since we were renting a car to drive ourselves to FLL because we had time to kill before our afternoon flight. I thought that FLL airport was less crowded than MIA. That was just my experience. That cruise we were off the ship by 7:15a.m.

It's doable.

Traffic wise, Sundays morning traffic is real light from Miami to FLL so that won't be a problem. Typical time from Port of Miami to FLL is 35-45 minutes. Having a car waiting versus grabbing a cab, I'd just grab a cab. There's always a cab at the port, you can count on that.

harv1631 spoke of packing lite, that's a great tip. Most cruises I've been on out of Miami have always started to disembark around 7am if not earlier. I've never experienced delays arriving in port, most times were docking before 6am.

I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

It's doable.

Traffic wise, Sundays morning traffic is real light from Miami to FLL so that won't be a problem. Typical time from Port of Miami to FLL is 35-45 minutes. Having a car waiting versus grabbing a cab, I'd just grab a cab. There's always a cab at the port, you can count on that.

harv1631 spoke of packing lite, that's a great tip. Most cruises I've been on out of Miami have always started to disembark around 7am if not earlier. I've never experienced delays arriving in port, most times were docking before 6am.

I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

We're actually returning on a Saturday. I guess I just have to take my chances at this point. I'm either out $750 now or later. It's spring break week....flights are extremely costly and filling quickly and we have to be back in Phila. by 6:00 pm. I've never flown during this season so I'm quite surprised to find that options and pricing are not nearly as good as a normal summer week, which is when we usually vacation. Oh well....lesson learned. Just wish me luck everyone that the ship arrives on time, clears customs quickly, we got off by 8am, don't hit much traffic on our way to FLL, check our baggage and get through security in time to make our 11:10 am flight! If not...I'll have 3 very angry family members to contend with!:(

we will be doing the same thing in Feb for a 11:20 flight does anyone have any suggestions on a car company to get?:D

We're using Tri-County Airport Express for private car transportation. For our family of 4, it's more economical and convenient than transfers ($68 for private car transportation from airport to hotel or port). The website is www.floridalimo.com.

we will be doing the same thing in Feb for a 11:20 flight does anyone have any suggestions on a car company to get?:D

Also, would LOVE to know how you make out with your return flight in February. I notice you are cruising on the Triumph. That is the same ship we are cruising on in March! Please send me an update when you get back.

Archived