Paris on Sunday

Hi! We will be coming into Le Havre on a Sunday and I was wondering if anyone knew whether the shops would be open in Paris on a Sunday? Would we be better off doing one of the Normandy smaller towns like Honfleur? Thanks!

In france, things really do shut down on sunday. You need to carefully investigate what it is you want to do and be sure that it is open. We are there on a sunday and will do the Normandy beaches...

Its not even close to a 24/7 culture.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

We have arrived in Paris twice on a Sunday morning, and other than coffee shops, nothing has been open.

Last year we were in Honfleur on a Sunday and the shops were open until about 1pm.

Because they get quite a few tourists on a Sunday from other parts of Paris, I think that is the reason the shops were open.

My husband bought 3 lovely silk ties from there and when he wears them, we always think fondly of that lovely Sunday.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Thanks Everyone...I am dissapointed to heare that the shops in Honfleur are only open till 1:00 because we thought we would head out there in the afternoon. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be best to do on Sunday if we don't do Paris, or Honfleur? Thank you very much! Stephanie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goofynewfymom:

Thanks Everyone...I am dissapointed to heare that the shops in Honfleur are only open till 1:00 because we thought we would head out there in the afternoon. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be best to do on Sunday if we don't do Paris, or Honfleur? Thank you very much! Stephanie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giverny!

Next stop:

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

Giverney (Monet's home w/ gardens) or Versailles are both wonderful options.

Some of the museums in Paris might be open on Sunday. Check a Paris website.

Though many places are closed, Paris is a great strolling city and enjoying it on a Sunday can be a real delight. You'll find enough of the charming bistro's will be open for lunch. You can visit Luxembourg Gardens, take a boat ride up the Seine. You can also walk in the Marais disrtict. This is a heavily populated jewish area, so many of the shops and restaurants are closed on Saturday and open on Sunday. The Picasso Museum is in this area, if it's open it's definitely worth a visit. The area has become one of the most popular with hip Parisians so there are many wonderful boutiques there with unusual merchandise. Rue de Rosiers is the main street of that area.

Jane

Friends from our cruise last year went to Rouen and had a wonderful day. It is a very old historic city and they spent their time in the old area. So you could combine Honfleur and Rouen.

I must agree that Giverney would be on my list if I hadn't been there before. It is so beautiful and we loved our time there. The village is lovely as well as seeing Monet's house and garden.

Versailles is a great place too, but I doubt if you would have enough time. We spent a full day there on our own, catching the train from Paris and I don't think we returned back to Paris until after 6pm. You wouldn't have the time to do the whole area justice. There is so much to see especially if you go to the other two smaller palaces.

Jennie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Hi Claudia, Jane and Aussie Gal! Thanks ever so much. You all have some great ideas. I am going to explore all options and I am sure now will have a great experience despite it being a Sunday. I would be lost without the help I receive from you all as well as the other CC contributors. THANKS! Stephanie

Stephanie,

You're most welcome.

My experience is, it's hard not to have a great time in France, no matter where you are nor on what day of the week!

It's not the #1 tourist destination in the world for nothing! icon_biggrin.gif

You will have a great time there. Don't worry!

Jane

Stephanie,

I second with Jane. Wherever you go in France you will have a great day. We love the country and keep on returning. This year we will have a whole week in Paris after our cruise.

If you have any more questions, ask away as I have learnt so much from this Board and am happy to impart any knowledge I have.

Jennie

Seeing that today is D-Day, I would recommend Honfleur and a drive along the corniche (seaside highway) toward Colville-sur-Mer where the large American cemetary is. It was pictured in "Saving Private Ryan" and President Bush spoke there today. Even if a lot of things are closed, along the seashore you can see plenty of WWII sights (bunkers, etc.) and enjoy the seaside views. Pack a lunch and enjoy a picnic!

You didn't mention the date of your trip. We visited Giverny in late June one year and found the best of the flowers gone by then. Maybe it was the weather just that year (1998), but it might be worth a little investigating.

Rouen is also lovely. Driving in it is quite a challenge (narrow, Medieval streets) but it's great for strolls.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

I will go against common wisdom and say that I love Paris on Sunday (or any other day). Why? Shopping is not good anyway given the decline of the dollar. Egads, the Europeans now come the USA for shopping and find European goods cheaper than at home. On Sundays, all the museums are open (its a better day than Mondays), traffic is much lighter than any other day, and the pace of the city is about fun,, not weekday business. By the way, you can even find shopping fun on Sundays if you head out to the Marais district where many of the small fun shops open on sundays.

Hank

Hi Jane, Jennie, Mezzaluna and Hank, y'all are so great...thanks so much for the input. Aren't these boards phenomenal? You have given me so many ideas...we are going to Copenhagen and Brussels, as well as four ports in the Norway fjord country, Ireland and Scotland. Any ideas on those? I know I am in the wrong topic area, but you have been so helpful and we are on a roll here, I am hoping that maybe I can get some more info!!! Hey, a gal has to try!!! Thank you all...so much! Stephanie

Stephanie,

We have been to Copenhagen a couple of times and stayed for a few days each time. It is a lovely walking city, just like Paris. If you only have a day, I would suggest you have a look at the Mermaid (everyone does) and perhaps catch a hop on, hop off bus that would take you to all the main sites.

The changing of the guard at the Palace around noon is quite fun to watch. You must walk the Stroget, which is about 1-2kms long and is all shops and no cars and have a wander around Nyhaven where there are lots of restaurants as well as boats. You can take a trip on the canal from Nyhaven and this is most interesting. It takes about an hour or so.

We went to Antwerp last year and caught a train to Bruges which we loved. I am not sure how far it is from Brussels but it only took us about an hour on the train and was well worth the visit. Bruges is a lovely town built on canals and quite historic. The chocolate shops are to die for. We also took a trip on the canals there. I would love to go back one day for a longer stay.

We have been to Oslo (twice) but not to the other ports in Norway. We will be doing that next year. If you need info about Oslo let me know.

Jennie

Just thinking that you if you choose seeing museums & just being in in Paris, you could spend some time in Montmarte as well. On the weekends ( and of course during the week) it is artist heaven and the mimes are out in full force..

Next stop:

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Hi! We will be coming into Le Havre on a Sunday and I was wondering if anyone knew whether the shops would be open in Paris on a Sunday? Would we be better off doing one of the Normandy smaller towns like Honfleur? Thanks!

If you are interested in shopping go to Deauville. They have a great Louis Vuitton store...open on Sunday nd other upscale stores. Le Have is totally closed Honfleur is open..just quaint shopes. In Paris ther are some shopes open in the train station under the Lovre. The best deal is Deauville a great destination even if yu didn't want to shop!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Some of our best times in Paris have been on Sundays. The parks are teaming with people and its great to sit out there and be part of that. We love the Parc Luxemburg, with its small "lake" and kids sailing small rented sail boat.

We also love strolling along the river, browsing in the book stalls and watching people.

The river boats also run on Sundays, and after a dozen or so visits to Paris, we finally took one last year and loved it!

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning Everyone,

I am also looking for info for Paris.

Any suggestions on a nice hotel?

What are the absolute must-sees while there?

What's the best way to travel from Paris to Venice?

From New Orleans to Paris which airport is best for Paris arrival? CDG?

Thanx for any and all info any of you have to share.

Brenda

Archived