ocho rios diving

hyrik

WE are on the Princess Star Jan.20 sailing.We plan to use the ships scuba excursion.Does anyone have any knowledge of this tour or diving ocho rios in general.We will go on our own in Coz.and Grand Cayman since we stayed at both stops in the past.

The only information I can offer is from what I have read elsewhere, and basically it amounts to: "Don't expect much". The population of Jamaica is generally quite poor. Consequently, many of them depend on what they can catch for their main source of protein. They'll eat anything they can catch. This has lead to serious over fishing. Unlike Cozumel and Grand Cayman, there isn't a marine park system to protect resident populations of fish.

If you still want to dive there, going with the ship's excursion is probably the best choice as far as safety and convenience are concerned. I'd take care to inspect any rental gear you might use here.

Bruce is right, there is not much in the waters surrounding Ocho Rios. I took my OW and AOW certs (yes I breathed, ate and slept diving the entire time) in one week, 9 years ago while staying in a resort there. Not having ANYTHING to compare it to, "I" thought it was a blast. :rolleyes:

Since then I have dove Aruba a lot, the Bahamas some, Florida a decent amount and Cozumel. Ocho Rios now seems to me like diving in a fish tank with no fish and dead coral. The equipment, hey I didn't know any better. :rolleyes: For cryin' out loud we were staying at a major resort and the dive operator was using wood rowboats with outboard engines for dive boats! :confused: :eek:

In other words, all around...the pits. I cannot imagine it having gotten much better over the years since. Unless you wish to dive real bad, IMHO, as much as I love to dive, I would save your money for something more worthwhile.

Thanks for your replies.We have our own equipment so we will take the ships 2 tank dive excursion just to be safe WE have been to ocho rios before and did the land tours.Iwill post a report if for some reason we luck out and see a whale shark or something. :)

Archived