What questions do Europe first-timers have?

I'm teaching an adult "personal enrichment" type class in February on how to plan a first trip to Europe. I love travel and have been fortunate to visit Europe eight times since 2001 so I can share a lot of information - and help others learn from my many mistakes.

Because it's been a while since I was planning my first trip I would love to hear from anyone hoping or planning to go to Europe for the first time. It will really help me plan my 'curriculum' for a once-weekly for 4 weeks class.

Please say if you really need an answer or are just sharing questions you had as you began planning. I'll be happy to share what answers I can if you are looking for info :)

These are things I did the first time, and I still do them with our 3rd trip coming up in 2007.

First I decided what was important to us. What did we want to see? Where did we want to go? What did we want to spend more money on; what less money?

We are budget travelers, and enjoy local transportation, except in a new and strange city.

I bought used travel guides from half.com. The sights stay the same, and the prices are different even with the most recent version, so I buy guides up to 2 years old.

When I decide where I want to go, I start researching online. First transportation to the city of departure, and then transportation to the sightseeing places. Then transportation around the city. Hop on/off buses are terrific for a first timer. You get to see it all.

If we are staying somewhere before or after a cruise, then I start checking the hotel sites, and then check TripAdvisor.com for the reviews.

I read the guides and pick out the sights we want to see, and then go online and get up-to-date information.

I keep repeating this process for each place, sometimes multiple times if there is a lot to see and do.

I check the weather and plan our travel wardrobe.

I download maps of specific areas we are visiting. It really helps to have an idea of how to get somewhere, especially when you aren't hiring a local driver, but maybe walking or taking the bus or train.

Hope this helps!

I'm interested, but also nervous, about taking trains in Italy. I'd like to get off the ship in Civitiveccia and then take the train to Rome for the day and then head back at the end of the day. Is this easily done or advisable? While I know this sounds like a general board question, I think it has relevance to your course because I'm worried about a strike or a sudden stoppage. Folks on these boards seem to worry about them a lot and I'm wondering how prevalent they really are.

Do you mean you are trying to anticipate some things people are trying to learn? If so, here are some questions I had as a newby. I don't need answers.

1. Which countries use Euros and which don't? What are the denominations of coins and bills? (i.e. 1 cent, 5 cent, 1 Euro coin, 5 Euro bill.) What is the best way to obtain local currency?

2. What are the public bathrooms like? Where will I find western restrooms and where will the experience be more foreign. (touch on the fact that sometimes they lack toilet seats, tissue, some don't flush tissue, etc.)

3. Which countries drive on "the wrong side of the road?" Is renting a car for the day practical?

4. How do European hotels differ from US hotels? What should I expect in the way of amenities and what should I pay? Can I find western chains like Hilton, Marriott, etc?

5. How do-able is public transportation? (bring up how much easier this is in Europe than in the US.)

6. What are some dining customs? Can I get dinner in Italy at 6:00 pm? What about Barcelona?

7. What kind of breakfast foods should I expect to find on a hotel's free spread? In a restaurant?

8. Is it important for me to learn foreign alphabets and be able to read words in Greek or Russian (for instance)?

9. How does one obtain postage stamps, what does one ask for at the post office to mail postcards? What do the mailboxes look like in various countries? (i.e. sometimes they are yellow, sometimes red...).

10. What are some shortcuts or convenience resources for things like bus tickets, stamps, etc. (i.e. tobacco shops carrying these types of things in place of having to go to train station or post office.)

11. How do I access the internet abroad? What are some appropriate internet access costs?

12. What hours are things typically open or closed? Which cities have a mid-day "siesta"? What days are museums typically closed? How late are shops and other businesses open?

13. When shopping, where should you bargain and where should you just pay the price listed?

14. What kinds of things should I buy in various ports? For instance, Florence is known for leather and for handmade stationery.

15. Similarly, what foods are best in various areas?

16. What are the dress customs in specific cities or at specific sites?

Hope this helps you with your curriculum. And hope I understood your question.

Traveling anywhere for the first time is always a nervous adventure.

Some of the things that were and are of concern to me are:

Who do I trust? The Travel Agent, the Cruise Line, the Guide Book, the internet web sites, travel reviews to give me the best picture of what itscosts, how good is it, how does it compare, etc.

We seem to have an information overload at our disposal, and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to judge what is real, what is a sales pitch, who is a creditable information disseminator.

Some items that are and always will be of concern: reliable transportation, cost fairness, cleanliness and respectability of hotels, good food and service at a fair price. We want to know what touristy attractions are worth seeing and which are just hype. We want to know how to get from here to there in a fast and reliable manner so that we won't look like "lost tourists".

We want to know what to take and what to wear without it being an 80 year olds personal opinion. We want to know what airlines are reliable and who gets you there without enumerable delays. We want people who have "been there before" to transfer information back to us without rating something as bad just because it wasn't "how they liked it".

I want to know where to eat and where to sleep, what to see and do, where to go to see the "real Europe" instead of the touristy places.

I think what I'm trying to say is that if you are giving a class or seminar you need to help us all discern the good from the bad, truth from fiction, and how to separate personal opinion based on individual prejudices from cold, hard fact.

I want to be as diplomatic as possible, but is a tip expected when you take a private guided tour? I know Gunter (a poster on this board) feels very strongly the original price includes the tip, and that we are overcharged as it is. Let's face it, $500E PLUS is a lot of money for a family of 5 for one day in port - how many people do you know who make $62 (probably more like $75 if you convert dollars to euros) or more per hour for driving?, but what do YOU say? Do they mark up the tour price for foreigners? I'm the type to do research for the best price, so I don't like "overpaying" for anything. YOUR thoughts?

Thanks everyone - you bring up some good points and questions-- I think I can have soom good discussions on these topics. How to handle strikes is especially important, as is how to discern good advice from bad (or disguised advertising).

Windycity - I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your tip question. I think that is a personal decision and everyone has their own opinion. On the one occasion in the past that I've taken a private tour (in Russia) I read some other posts toget ideas of what people tipped and then followed suit.

Any other ideas? This is very helpful.

Chick's Pal's list is excellent. You should also teach:

1. The advantages/disadvantages of group tours vs do it yourself travel.

2. The advantages/disadvantages of auto, rail and coach travel.

3. Choosing guidebooks.

4. Helpful websites.

5. How to find airfare deals and save on travel costs by flying into one European gateway and out of another.

6. Manners. Don't let your students be ugly Americans.

Before returning to the UK or the Eurozone I refamiliarize myself with the currency. I see how quickly I can count a random group of coins. You might try a similar exercise.

Note that Europeans do not tip like Americans do. Service charge is frequently included.

6. Manners. Don't let your students be ugly Americans.

Before returning to the UK or the Eurozone I refamiliarize myself with the currency. I see how quickly I can count a random group of coins. You might try a similar exercise.

I shall have to be careful not to spend my entire class time on that topic as it is my soapbox.

I like the coin idea -- I hate fumbling for coins while people wait. I have a stash of Euro coins I can take to class. Forints, kroners, pounds, zloties, rubles, etc etc etc for that matter :p

Hey those are all of my questions, and i am a newbie this coming fall...could you guys answer your questions?

I am particularly stymied with hotel accomodations in Venice. I do not want to be walking the whole city pulling our luggage. What hotels are at the water taxi stops from the airport that you can get out and walk into your hotel? help!!

for all the newby`s answers from a european on the list from ""chics pall"":) :) :)

1. Which countries use Euros and which don't? What are the denominations of coins and bills? (i.e. 1 cent, 5 cent, 1 Euro coin, 5 Euro bill.) What is the best way to obtain local currency?

you can pay in the most of the countrys whit euros.

turkey has his one money but wen whe went there they also acsept the eruo so no problem

2. What are the public bathrooms like? Where will I find western restrooms and where will the experience be more foreign. (touch on the fact that sometimes they lack toilet seats, tissue, some don't flush tissue, etc.)

if they dont flush tissue it will be tel you whit a sign

most of the toillets also in turkey en greece and spain are verry good dont forget that most of the sitys you are vissiting verry toeristic are for the european people

3. Which countries drive on "the wrong side of the road?" Is renting a car for the day practical?

only england (great britain) and i belive malta

4. How do European hotels differ from US hotels? What should I expect in the way of amenities and what should I pay? Can I find western chains like Hilton, Marriott, etc?

yes you can find in most off the citys western chains but they are expensive, most off the time there are lots off hotels for less that are really nice. hotels in europe are most of the time smaller en more cosier than in the usa. i like theme a lot.

5. How do-able is public transportation? (bring up how much easier this is in Europe than in the US.)

i have bin in the usa a few times and i think that the public transportation in europe has much more possibilitys than in the usa. and easy and most of the people are speaking english so help you can find evrey where.

6. What are some dining customs? Can I get dinner in Italy at 6:00 pm? What about Barcelona?

yes you can dine evrey time you want. in the most meditarine countreys they have a siesta in the afternoon for a few hours but at 6.00 pm the are open fore sure

7. What kind of breakfast foods should I expect to find on a hotel's free spread? In a restaurant?

you can choose and lots of hotels have a buffet

8. Is it important for me to learn foreign alphabets and be able to read words in Greek or Russian (for instance)?

no its not importent because a lot of people can speak english only the people thats live in the outside country are not speaking english, so dont worry

9. How does one obtain postage stamps, what does one ask for at the post office to mail postcards? What do the mailboxes look like in various countries? (i.e. sometimes they are yellow, sometimes red...).

verry varous indead zo ask for it to the people they will help you whit pleassure

10. What are some shortcuts or convenience resources for things like bus tickets, stamps, etc. (i.e. tobacco shops carrying these types of things in place of having to go to train station or post office.)

i dont no what you mean whit this question ??

11. How do I access the internet abroad? What are some appropriate internet access costs?

internet cafes they have them in most of the countrys and evrey where they call them internet cafe and the costs are not much more than in usa

12. What hours are things typically open or closed? Which cities have a mid-day "siesta"? What days are museums typically closed? How late are shops and other businesses open?

i think that when a ship is in the harbour they are not closing, for most of the people is this big buissnes. most of the mediterine countrys have siesta but i never have seen it in toeristic places. whe museums are colsed you can find it on the internet

in lots off countrys in the norht off europe sundays are closing day

13. When shopping, where should you bargain and where should you just pay the price listed?

turkey you must never pay the price list yoy must bargain whit all.

than on markets in most off the countrys you must bargain.

14. What kinds of things should I buy in various ports? For instance, Florence is known for leather and for handmade stationery.

turkey is also know for leather

in turkey you also can buy almost evreyting in not real from well-known marks so as louise vuitton,burberey,tommy hillgiger,ralp lauren,D&C,chanel. name them ,they all have them. from sunglases , t shirts ,shoes, parfums ,watches ,and they are all NOT REAL. this is in turkey big buisness and verry veryy cheap.

take a chance and go for the food off the country in a good restarant not in a sneeky.

you can find almost evrey where a mac donalds.

but go for the food from the country you are

it will suprise you

non

you can where all clothes

when you go in a moskee than the woman must to cover there hair and there shoulders. and whe all must take our shoes out.

and off course in the vaticaan in rome you must also not go in your bathing suit but thats normal i think.

i hoope that i have gif you some answers that are intresting for one of you

i dont no all but a few i can answer and i have tried

i am a european dutch ( netherlands)woman whit middle training school

and this is the engish a did learn at school

i think this is what you can aspect from a lot of european.

only french people dont like to speak english but they no it for sure.

sorry for my bad englsih

whis you all merry christmass and happy newyear

marij:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, excused for my english but i live in this region and i try to answer.

1 cent ou 2 cent coin not very used often round of 5 cents

5, 10, 20, 50 cents , 1 and 2 euros coins

5,10,20,50 bill (100,200,500 euros bill exist but not very used in local shop except if you buy something of 99 euros but il you buy something of 10€ and try to use a 100€ you can't

visa and mastercard is used in a lot of place in touristic area but if you go in some small cities not touristic you must have cash

3. Which countries drive on "the wrong side of the road?" Is renting a car for the day practical? yes you find major car rental hetz, avis small car has a good price but luxe car is very expensive.

4. How do European hotels differ from US hotels? What should I expect in the way of amenities and what should I pay? Can I find western chains like Hilton, Marriott, etc? The price of the hotel in europe is all in except in some cities a local tax about 1 or 2 euros /day/ person

5. How do-able is public transportation? (bring up how much easier this is in Europe than in the US.) very good often in time because they are very good a lot of people used them and sometime it is difficult to find a sitting place.

6. What are some dining customs? Can I get dinner in Italy at 6:00 pm? What about Barcelona? you can find dining at 6:00 but don't forget that most of land don't use the hour of the sun but often two hours before the sun thus in north europe , people dine at 7-8 and in sud italy,greece,8-9 and in june,july august 9-10 am . thus you can find at 6 but other people don't eat at 6

7. What kind of breakfast foods should I expect to find on a hotel's free spread? In a restaurant? usualy continental

8. Is it important for me to learn foreign alphabets and be able to read words in Greek or Russian (for instance)? they speak english in all land

9. How does one obtain postage stamps, what does one ask for at the post office to mail postcards? What do the mailboxes look like in various countries? (i.e. sometimes they are yellow, sometimes red...). Usually, where you buy your postcard they have postage stamp

10. What are some shortcuts or convenience resources for things like bus tickets, stamps, etc. (i.e. tobacco shops carrying these types of things in place of having to go to train station or post office.) Each land has his shortcuts but the price is often the same , you don't have bargain tou buy in this place

11. How do I access the internet abroad? What are some appropriate internet access costs? yes, good internet in touristic land for exemple in canne france you can find 10 or 15 internet café (koffie) but when you ride 10 miles in interior land you find noting.

12. What hours are things typically open or closed? Which cities have a mid-day "siesta"? What days are museums typically closed? How late are shops and other businesses open? All the lands with a very hot climat have siesta france north no siesta france sud has siesta.

13. When shopping, where should you bargain and where should you just pay the price listed? turkey, teneriffe, often 50% off .market in other land in the sud , in north no bargain except perhaps russians

what ports do you visit ?

idem what ports do you visit ? each area as speciality and if you ride 20 miles, the speaciality changes

except for some religions chretians or musulmans no dress code. In some hotels of superior class and some very high class restorant you must have a dress code but it is not usually.

i go three times in usa and i think that europe is the same of usa . there are some of area not sure for tourist but typical tourist travel don't ride this area and except some problem in travel train or public transportation with person who keep money they are no problem. They are each year some people who "lost " her money there. But it is the same in the new york transportation.

I'm going to be a bit blunt here, but please bear with me.

Americans (or those that post on these boards) seem to have a very strange idea of what "Europe" is. Europe is a continent that stretches from the far West of Eire to parts of Russia, from Gibralter in the south to within 700 miles of the North Pole at Spitzbergen.

To expect that this huge mass of people, with traditions and languages going back for thousands of years, can be addressed as one is fallacious in the extreme. Europe is not one place, and one cannot say that "Europeans do this" or "Europeans do that".

Going to the specific issues that have been discussed - the currency of a country is found by means of a google search within moments. You don't need me to tell you who uses the Euro - you can find that out for yourself. For a nation that refuses to put numbers on coins to complain about having to learn about other countries currencies is interesting, to say the least.

It is true all over the world that English is the universal second language, which is largely because the Americans and English refuse to speak anything else. So language should not be a problem - although you will find people who only speak their own language. The problems you will have in communicating are no more their failing than they are yours.

Public transport is always difficult if you don't know it. I found the New York Subway impossible to understand, but have no difficulty with the Tube in London. I guess a New Yorker will be the reverse. I didn't have trouble in Paris, although my French is minimal. Likewise, Berlin was a piece of cake - and I didn't need my limited German. I did need some spoken German for the railways - even in the Rhine Gorge. Do you get the pattern of differences here?

Public Toilets in Europe vary enormously. Even in one city, the standards are very variable, and whilst the richer the country the more at home you'll feel, this is far from a hard and fast rule. If relying on public toilets, rather than hotel toilets, I'd always suggest to have wet wipes - my wife takes them everywhere and would do so in America too. Having said that I am quite happy to recognise that standards in those parts of America that I have visited have been fine.

It is quite impossible to give any firm indications of "must sees". People vary. It appears that foreign tourists in London insist on going to Madame Tussauds - which I would avoid like the plague. On the other hand some of the best views in London are walking over Waterloo Bridge and then towards Tower Bridge on the South Bank - which isn't exactly one's first thought of a London tourist destination. Even less is the walk from Fleet Street to St. Pauls - but the view of St Pauls is lovely. Much can be gained from gentle wandering around a city - especially in older cities such as Venice, when it is even worth putting time aside for doing this!

There is certainly a list of tourist traps in each city. Some are traps for the right reasons, and others are not. But I can't tell you what you'll like about London - or even if you will like London. (I don't, for what it is worth, and neither do I like New York. But I loved San Francisco....)

Driving - if you aren't capable of finding out for yourself you shouldn't be driving anyway. And as far as crossing roads is concerned, if you can't work that one out yourself then you shouldn't be allowed out on your own. But basically the rules are simple. Everyone drives on the wrong side of the road, save the English who drive on the left. You lot in the USA are used to driving on the wrong side, so should be fine! ;)

I think Americans should also be aware that they come from a country whose leader is regarded as a war criminal by a significant minority, and as a dangerous cretin by virtually all. Whether this is right or wrong is neither here nor there - it is a fact of life in Europe. If it is any comfort to you, the British have a low regard to their leaders too.....

Sometimes I feel that the best advice is just to come and find out! My impressions (gained from this board) is that Americans spend so much time planning that the actual holiday must be a disappointment!

I'd also suggest (and this goes back to my first point) that visiting Europe is impossible. Limit yourself. How would you suggest that someone visits the whole of the USA in 7-14 days? Wouldn't that leave you missing out so much? You can't even see the highlights of California in that time..... Decide to visit Italy, or Norway, or Germany. Possibly a couple - but not some grand tour of the Europe Theme Park.

Well said Kindlychap. You are perfectly correct - would disagree on one point in that we love London. The walks around St. Pauls, Barbican, Smithfield,(William Wallace monument etc etc ,) & the old City are some of our favourites especially on a weekend when there are very few tourists and very few workers about too. The walk around Charterhouse Square and the history behind the cobbled streets and side streets are truly fascinating. This is the London that most of our American friends do not see as they are pulled to the huge attractions which are not always the best IMHO of course.

Margery M

I have dual American & Canadian citizenship but am not representative of any group. I love to travel to see how other people live. I do not expect North American amenities when they are not usual in the places that I am travelling. I believe that all Americans are being painted with the same brush; which is not fair.

I love and have travelled to a lot of places in Italy (not exclusively). Although there have been many cities, I love meeting the people and being invited into their homes. I have seen places not frequented by tourists as well as tourist spots. I am almost as adventurous as I was when I was younger but time changes things and having a washroom down the hall or upstairs no longer works for me.

I think that there are many kinds of tourists, those that are interested in the art & architecture or those interested in experiencing new customs and food or those solely interested in shopping. Each is valid but are often judged. I think that we must realize that the US is a vast country with a varied people. I try to see each person as a separate entity.

travelingmcmahans, This is a good lesson for your students to understand that their behavior will be judged by some as being the behavior of all Americans.

Fran

I have dual American & Canadian citizenship but am not representative of any group. I love to travel to see how other people live. I do not expect North American amenities when they are not usual in the places that I am travelling. I believe that all Americans are being painted with the same brush; which is not fair.

I love and have travelled to a lot of places in Italy (not exclusively). Although there have been many cities, I love meeting the people and being invited into their homes. I have seen places not frequented by tourists as well as tourist spots. I am almost as adventurous as I was when I was younger but time changes things and having a washroom down the hall or upstairs no longer works for me.

I think that there are many kinds of tourists, those that are interested in the art & architecture or those interested in experiencing new customs and food or those solely interested in shopping. Each is valid but are often judged. I think that we must realize that the US is a vast country with a varied people. I try to see each person as a separate entity.

travelingmcmahans, This is a good lesson for your students to understand that their behavior will be judged by some as being the behavior of all Americans.

Fran

Thank you. If a few more from North America made these points themselves to their countrymen, then perhaps we Europeans would not need to!

I have met some lovely Americans and Canadians on my travels, and I certainly don't want anyone to think that the general impression that this board gives is fair on every North American.

Matthew

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested, but also nervous, about taking trains in Italy. I'd like to get off the ship in Civitiveccia and then take the train to Rome for the day and then head back at the end of the day. Is this easily done or advisable? While I know this sounds like a general board question, I think it has relevance to your course because I'm worried about a strike or a sudden stoppage. Folks on these boards seem to worry about them a lot and I'm wondering how prevalent they really are.

I've never been to Civitavecchia, but did spend about 10 days or so travelling around in Italy by train last year, so for my '07 med cruise, I'm not at all worried about them. If I were stopping in Civitavecchia, I wouldn't hesitate to take the train (my cruise actually begins there).

Of course, a strike or serious problem could happen at any time in any country (perhaps more so in Italy, but it's not like it's all the time), but it's not something you can really plan for, and I would think that it would be pretty obvious before you departed Civitavecchia if there was going to be a problem. It's just as possible an accident on the motorway could delay a coach, so it's six-of-one. Certainly, we had no difficulty when we were there. At the time, I was travelling on a railpass for some days, but in hindsight, it was actually more complicated than if I had just bought tickets. Unlike most European countries I've been to, most of the station personnel spoke no English at all (not that I expected them to, mind you - I had a phrasebook), and getting the pass validated and explaining it to rail personnel who had never seen one before was a bit of a challenge. On the other hand, every station I visited had automated ticket machines that operated in many languages (incl. English), so on the days where I used individual tickets, I had no trouble at all.

European rail stations are all "of a type" and once you've figured one of them out, they all sort of feel the same. Even if you don't speak the language, the layout of the departure and arrival tables are unmistakeable (ok, maybe you should learn the words at least for "arrival" and "departure" so you get the right table ;) - if memory serves, the departure tables are yellow ), and the stations are not hard to navigate. Also, it's not like you're going to be the only English-speakers trying to take the train from Civitavecchia at that time :) I'm told that the walk from the port to the train station is very easy for someone in reasonable shape, and I've seen an aerial photo that shows that they are quite close ( a few blocks? ).

I guess this is the long way of saying if you're the adventurous travel sort who doesn't mind puzzling over the occasional sign and doesn't stress over not knowing every detail in advance, then I wouldn't worry about the train. If you're the nervous type who likes to have your tickets and exact itinerary weeks in advance, then I'd book a tour ahead that includes transport.

Happy sailing!

PS - don't forget to validate your train tickets in the little yellow machines that are all over the place, typically on the way to the platform. The ticket isn't valid without it (it "cancels" and timestamps the ticket), and a conductor may charge you again if you don't. Everyone will be doing it, so it should be pretty obvious.

PPS - make sure the train car you board matches the class of ticket you buy. There will be a very obvious "1" or "2" on the outside of the car. Ditto express and local - express is more expensive (but quicker because of fewer stops) and a local ticket is not valid. If you use the machines to buy your tickets, it should be fairly clear which departure is which.

direct with the driver than additional money "tip" is not necessary, but perhaps you could buy the driver tour guide lunch. This will be our first time using a private driver and it is very expensive in Italy for a family of three (cheaper than cruise line tour for 5 people).

However (again I'm interested in what others say), if you booked through a tour company/internet (prepaid wire or credit card) the driver is not getting all of that money so i would tip.

Archived