On board photo copyrights - Help!

Greg3322

I just tried to get some Christmas cards made for my mom with a portrait she had taken aboard a recent Coral Princess cruise.

Wal-Mart said no way - not without a release.

Does anyone know if Princess retains the rights to the photos or if they will give a written release? I can't imagine they would care once you are off the ship, but I have been wrong before...

Thanks,

Greg

No, no, no. Relax. Take your photo to Kinkos. Ask for directions on how to use their scanner... the kiosk kind that you use yourself. You want to learn how to make a high quality scan from an original hard-copy and save it to a CD. You'll then take the CD to wherever you need to get it made into a card and tell them the file name (eg: Grandma1).

If there's a visible copyright on the photo, have someone who knows a simple photo editing program crop it out.

Princess would give you the release anyway... so no need to wait for the release letter. Christmas is almost here -- you don't have time for that.

Just copy the letter below and take it to Wal-Mart. That is what I did and they let me copy any of our pictures from our cruise.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding copying photographs purchased on our ship. The reprint policy for Princess Cruises is detailed below:

Reprint Policy:

Souvenir photos taken onboard Princess vessels are for passenger enjoyment. Reprints for publications or other public uses are prohibited without submitting a written Proposal of use and obtaining written approval by the Princess Cruises - Public Relations department. Reprints requested by passengers for further enjoyment are approved on an individual basis.

If your request is in accordance with the above, this letter may act as the release to your local developer.

We hope your cruise experience was enjoyable and we thank you for sailing Princess Cruises. We look forward to you sailing with us again.

Sincerely,

Ian Johnson, Photo Operations Coordinator

We just used a photo taken last month on the Constellation for our Christmas cards. I scanned it, did a short crop, and uploaded it - you can upload to WalMart, Walgreen's CVS, Snapfish, Webshots, etc - there are many out there - just be sure you scan it and crop if necessary. I sent ours to Snapfish - no questions asked and the cards were here in just 3 days. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you all!

Cindie :cool:

We just used a photo taken last month on the Constellation for our Christmas cards. I scanned it, did a short crop, and uploaded it - you can upload to WalMart, Walgreen's CVS, Snapfish, Webshots, etc - there are many out there - just be sure you scan it and crop if necessary. I sent ours to Snapfish - no questions asked and the cards were here in just 3 days. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you all!

Cindie :cool:

Thank you all for the responses.

I did indeed scan the picture and Photoshop it a bit. I uploaded the picture to Wal-Mart. Less than 5 minutes later, they called my and told me they can't do it without a release. I'll try to give them the above note and hope that works.

Thanks again for all the help.

Greg

Thank you all for the responses.

I did indeed scan the picture and Photoshop it a bit. I uploaded the picture to Wal-Mart. Less than 5 minutes later, they called my and told me they can't do it without a release. I'll try to give them the above note and hope that works.

Thanks again for all the help.

Greg

Archived