QM2 Question about wine

Coopdedoop

We were wondering if anyone had brought their own wine on board.

If so, is there a corkage charge at dinner? Otherwise, are there wine packages available.

Do a "Search This Forum" for "corkage" and you will find many posts. One says that the corkage charge was $15. Not sure what you mean by "wine packages". We found that the wine list contained many reasonably priced choices and that the wine stewards were helpful. No problem drinking half a bottle with lunch and having the rest saved for dinner.

We were wondering if anyone had brought their own wine on board.

If so, is there a corkage charge at dinner? Otherwise, are there wine packages available.

there is a corkage fee however if the bottle was sent to your cabin have your steward or butler send it o your wine steward and dont forget the tip and there will be no corkage fee!!! all cunard bottles have a cunard stamp!!!!!!

How come the wine steward doesn't charge a corkage fee if you have the wine sent to them? I hope that works, I'm definitely going to try that. We figured we will just purchase a few bottles of wine in FLL before we board the ship on the 16th. Thanks for the tip!

How come the wine steward doesn't charge a corkage fee if you have the wine sent to them? I hope that works, I'm definitely going to try that. We figured we will just purchase a few bottles of wine in FLL before we board the ship on the 16th. Thanks for the tip!

when wine is sent to a pax say as a gift customer service will ask the sender if they want to send the wine to the pax room or to the dining room since it purchased from cunard there is no corkage fee!!! but dont forget to tip the wine steward and perhaps the room steward if he brought the bottle to the dining room for you!! also all cunard stock has a cunard label on the bottle so they know where the bottle came from

I know the following may be not as directly on topic as one may wish, but in early November I had an e-mail exchange w/Cunard regarding wine-related matters and thought I would provide the full text of that exchange for the edification of any interested CC member ......

Initial query to Cunard:

What are the rules concerning wine / liquor brought on board by passengers for personal in-room consumption at both initial embarkation and at ports of call?

Cunard’s response:

"- Guests may bring an unlimited amount of bottles of wine and champagne onboard

Bringing Own Alcohol Onboard and Corkage Fees • Alcoholic beverages purchased from duty-free shops ashore and alcoholic beverages brought onboard in turnaround ports (whether from duty-free shops or not) will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

• A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases.

• Alcoholic beverages purchased from the duty-free shop onboard can be collected on the last day of the cruise.

• Wine and/or champagne purchased in a shoreside location may be brought onboard. However if the wine/champagne is brought to the dining rooms for consumption, a $15 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the guest's shipboard account. As stated in the voyage guide, only 1 bottle of wine or champagne per person may be brought onboard."

Subsequently I followed this info up w/Cunard ….

“You say that :

Guests may bring an unlimited amount of bottles of wine and champagne onboard

You also say (from the pasted document) that:

As stated in the voyage guide, only 1 bottle of wine or champagne per person may be brought onboard.

Please clarify this apparent inconsistency.”

Cunard’s clarification was:

"It has been advised to me that guests may bring an unlimited amount of alcohol onboard. We haven't updated our data base to confirm that.

Kindest Regards,

Katie Haines

Cunard Groups/Special Accts"

Alcoholic beverages purchased from duty-free shops ashore and alcoholic beverages brought onboard in turnaround ports (whether from duty-free shops or not) will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

Sorry to throw even more confusion Cunard's way, but that isn't what they do when the QE2's in Gibraltar. We normally buy enough whisky whilst we're there to last us for the cruise and then buy some to bring home as well. They've never kept that for "safekeeping"!

Thank you both for your messages and replies. 2moose, you are talking about wine purchased on board right? I was actually referring to wine brought on that we purchase in Ft. Lauderdale before we board the ship. I guess we'll end up paying $15/bottle for corkage but that's ok, I don't really mind. Thanks again for the great info!

There are good reasons not to bring wine on board.

It's a hassle doing it, of course.

And the prices (if QE2 is any guide) are very reasonable indeed. From a UK perspective.

Having no idea of your preferred tastes, I can't be too dogmatic, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a bottle that you'd be pleased with for under $50, and probably much less.

Really good wines can be had at about $200 upwards.

Please excuse me if I have misunderstood the North American market, but wines onboard QE2 are priced incredibly reasonably - at least from a UK perspective.

There is, to my mind, no hint of charging excessively just because you have no alternative.

Archived