Fox News

afdds

Are they being "fair and balanced" about the story, saying that such illness can happen anywhere, or are they harping about how the cruise industry is not doing enough and that people are putting their lives in danger by going on a cruise?

Just curious...

Paul Noble

Pretty fair and balanced but they did not explain enough that it's the second most common virus anywhere where people are in a confined space such as day cares, nursing homes, schools and even hospitols. Over all I give the interview a "B".

I created a new thread earlier about the RCL ship that had gotten hit with the virous & they pulled it off of the Carnival cruiise line post. Guess they don't want allot to know about it. I am cruising on the 16th & yesterday we had given the kids a lecture on using the sanitizer (each of us are going to carry a mini one) so that no one gets sick...Its flu season things happen...:eek:

Are they being "fair and balanced" about the story, saying that such illness can happen anywhere, or are they harping about how the cruise industry is not doing enough and that people are putting their lives in danger by going on a cruise?

My guess is that they're blaming the Norovirus on the Democrats.

I created a new thread earlier about the RCL ship that had gotten hit with the virous & they pulled it off of the Carnival cruiise line post. Guess they don't want allot to know about it. I am cruising on the 16th & yesterday we had given the kids a lecture on using the sanitizer (each of us are going to carry a mini one) so that no one gets sick...Its flu season things happen...:eek:

It would be a good idea to also give them a lecture on the importance of frequent hand washing since hand sanitizer does nothing to kill norovirus or any other virus for that matter. Hand sanitizer is only effective against bacteria/germs.

I can't say enough about Airborne. I take it as soon as I feel like I am coming down with something and I am usually feeling almost 100% better within one to two days. Last week I started with a sore throat on Monday (afraid it was strep). I felt somewhat better Tuesday but by Wednesday I felt great. We had someone at our shop who had been down with a cold for over two weeks, I think that was what I was starting to get, but I caught it in time. I plan on taking it before I even get on the plane as a precaution.

It would be a good idea to also give them a lecture on the importance of frequent hand washing since hand sanitizer does nothing to kill norovirus or any other virus for that matter. Hand sanitizer is only effective against bacteria/germs.

It helps to tell the kids that they should sing "Happy Birthday" twice while washing their hands - they might get a kick out of it.

I thought they were fair and balanced. The interview didn't have any new information on prevention. Fox News asked if the length of a cruise had anything to do with getting sick.

My family has always taken the hand sanitizers with us. We use them everytime we visit the buffet after handling the spoons and serving pieces. I'm really bad.....I punch the elevator buttons with my shirt tails. :eek:

It was more likely pulled because it was about an RCL ship on the Carnival board. I'm pretty sure they pulled all the stuff about the Liberty from the other boards when that was going on too.

Hand washing is the best overall, but there are hand sanitizers that work against viruses. They just cost more and you actually have to look for them since most people won't spend $5 on a bottle of good stuff when they see GermX sitting there for $1.

But yes, frequent hand washing wth soap and water not only sanitizes but it also gets rid of all the dirt and much you pick up just walking around touching things.

I can't say enough about Airborne. I take it as soon as I feel like I am coming down with something and I am usually feeling almost 100% better within one to two days. Last week I started with a sore throat on Monday (afraid it was strep). I felt somewhat better Tuesday but by Wednesday I felt great. We had someone at our shop who had been down with a cold for over two weeks, I think that was what I was starting to get, but I caught it in time. I plan on taking it before I even get on the plane as a precaution.

Airborne will not help you prevent getting the Norovirus. The only way to prevent it is frequent, thorough hand washing and even that is not a guarantee.

Re: Airborne...does it work? Still up for debate, but when your throat feels scratchy and you know something is coming, I will take it. It is a huge boost of vitamin C which seems to trigger the immune system and seems to fend off the bugs. Better than waking up helpless and completely down with whatever.

Re: Airborne...does it work? Still up for debate, but when your throat feels scratchy and you know something is coming, I will take it. It is a huge boost of vitamin C which seems to trigger the immune system and seems to fend off the bugs. Better than waking up helpless and completely down with whatever.

I totally agree with you. I take airborne anytime my throat hurts or my kids get the sniffles and I beleive that i's it's the airborne that keeps me from getting a cold and I will be taking it before I leave and brining some along on the cruise.

However, Airborne will not help keep you safe from Norovirus. I had the Norovirus last year, I almost died (no joke) and I spent a day in the hospital. The doctor in the ER told me that the ONLY way to help prevent it is hand-washing and even then if there is a bad outbreak and you are present, you will probably get it anyway.

BTW - I got it from my daughters daycare where all of the kids got it and several middle schools and elementary schools in the area were closed down due to the outbreak so they could try to contain it. It's a nasty, nasty bug.

There was another segment on Bill O'Reilly last night. Basically the same ole, "several cruises a year seem to come down with this". There were 2 doctors on the show. O'Reilly asked her if she would cruise. She said no, because she isn't someone who enjoys cruising. However, she then pointed out (finally) that is just wasn't cruise ships. It was hospitals, schools and anywhere there was large institutional numbers of people.

It is definately a virus going around that can effect anyone. I say that because I babysat my grandson this past weekend who attends day care. Guess what?? Last night my body ache, I was dizzy & you know what else comes with this. I frequently wash my hands for I use to be in the food industry.

Not to make anyone sick but when I worked for a major chain as Our training in managment we were required to hide in a stall of a bathroom to actually see how many wash thier hands. After that experience I make sure everyone knows I am washing my hands. It is totally amazing if people don't know that you are there they don't ..But if you happen to be in view all of a sudden they wash. This is why I bring sanitizer besides washing hands. I hate to sound over protected but there are allot of people who do not or were not taught propoer hygene.

But as you can see the virus cna slip by even with preventions...:eek:

But as you can see the virus cna slip by even with preventions...:eek:

So true! Our first cruise, I was super careful. Wiped down everything in the cabin with disinfectant, washed my hands constantly, used hand sanitizer, took Airborne. My family made fun of me, and they weren't nearly as vigilant as I was. We all came down with a virus the day after we got home from the cruise. So, I obviously wasn't any more protected than they were.

Second cruise, I was still careful but I did not wipe down the cabin and I did not take the Airborne. I washed my hands and used the hand sanitizer. None of us got sick that cruise.

Sometimes you're going to get sick no matter how careful you are. Won't ever stop me from cruising or travelling, though. :)

Archived