Returning from a cruise with alcohol.....

Mudhen

UT OH! If I purchase alcohol on the QM2 (either their shops or in port) will I be allowed to carry that back as carry on luggage in the plane home? Would I have to pack it in a suitcase? I promise not to set the plane on fire with it! Believe me, if we're going down, I'm gonna drink it!

No you can not carry bottles of liquor on board airplanes. You have to check them through. This is why I did not buy those neat see through bottles of QM2 gin and vodka last week, I could just imagine broken bottles in my luggage.

Rats! How disappointing! I don't think I'll have room in my checked luggage for bottles. The bubble wrap is a great idea, but space is my problem! OH WELL............phooey.......I wanted one of those special bottles too!

Rats! How disappointing! I don't think I'll have room in my checked luggage for bottles. The bubble wrap is a great idea, but space is my problem! OH WELL............phooey.......I wanted one of those special bottles too!

Throw out some clothes, you gotta have at least one! LOL:D

Bring Strapping tape or Duct tape to put around the caps in the bottles, (Or corks, as the case may be) Bring large ziploc bags to encase the bottles in (It wouldn't hurt to also swaddle them in those dry cleaner bags your gowns and tuxes were in and that you were going to throw away- They provide both padding and leak protection) Then put them in the middle of your checked luggage, with pants or shirts warpped around them so they don't shift to the bottom (I find my dirty closes, even undies work well- especially in a plastic bag, No one is going to muss around in there!) Then take a bunch of your clothes- especially shoes, which are heavy, and put them in your carryon! Voila! Booze is safe® and won't get confiscated! No one says you can't carry your clothes or make up or jewelry in your carry on! Just no shampoo!

Karie.

who has done this successfully many times!

(or drink the booze and bring back the empty bottles. I have also decanted booze into water bottles. Not to hide the booze, but becasue they are plastic- therfore both less breakable and lighter!)

Thank you all for your creative suggestions! We are a crafty bunch, aren't we!! I think a combination of several suggestions might just do the trick. Use carry on for clothes, drycleaning bags and/or bubble wrap to encase bottles etc. And of course, if all else fails, just drink it all as Karie had suggested. Forget toting empties home!

Don't forget to buy hardsided suitcases, good quality ones like samsonite or delsey. I only have samsonites and have put breakables into them many a time and never had a problem.

Lexx.

Yes, I do work for an airline.:p

Archived