do you shop at the cruise lines recommended shops or not?

Kajunswty

That whole "recommended store" thing seemd lkike a big scam to us. :eek:

I've been shopping for many many years on my own, thank you, and didn't find we needed a PAID representative from the Cruiseline telling us how and where to find the "best deals".

In fact, it made us even more suspicious of the places they recommended, assuming the cruise line must get a "kick-back" of some sort for steering their passengers to certain "preferred" locations to spend their money.

On top of that, there were special "bargain shopper clinics" on the ship teaching people how to buy stuff. Wonder who does their shopping for them at home? :confused:

As luck would have it, we found much better selection, quality, and service at smaller "out of the way" places we found on our own....just like at home.

What really got me was the HUGE focus (almost exclusively!!!) there was on jewlery items by the "recommended" stores.

If you are looking for jewels, the shopping reps might be able to guide you to a certain store, but I found shopping on our own to be cheaper....and more fun!

:)

Just be aware that the "recommended shops" have all paid a fee to be listed.

Also, the "port shopping consultant" may not have really shopped at all of these stores and compaired prices for the best bargains. When would he/she have the time?

There are some of the recommended shops that do have competative prices on some items. OTOH we generally find the best bargains at the shops that are not listed.

Charlie

Archived