KEY WEST CLAY... questions for you:

CoastalCounseling

Clay....

I love your island and was able to camp there for $6 a night a decade ago. We were at a military base and set up a tent right next to the water. I will never forget how beautiful it was.

How far is Higgs beach/playground from where the ships dock? Can I walk there with a 2 year old? Is there a charge to use the facilities? Sandy or rocky there?

Should I bring snorkeling stuff to this beach or stick with my bare necessities of apple juice and diapers.

Thanks!

Kelly

Higgs is a long way from the docks...I wouldn't try it on foot without a two year old! If you want to check it on a map, Higgs is located on the Atlantic between White Street and Reynolds Street. The ships all dock on the gulf sidde of the Atlantic basically near the interection of Whitehead and Front Street. i don't think there is anything worth looking for at Higgs so I wouldnt bother bringing your gear....there is however a playground across the street from Higgs that your kid might enjoy.

C

• 2 weeks later...

For a nice beach, we liked Smathers Beach. It had restrooms and there are venders not far out on the street for lunch or snacks and drinks. Not within walking distance either.

JoAnn

• 1 month later...

Last year we noticed Monte's had moved from a little north of Key West to Key West across from the floating restaurant on Roosevelt Blvd. During my research for this year's trip I noticed a Monte's by the wharf. What is the story?

Last year we noticed Monte's had moved from a little north of Key West to Key West across from the floating restaurant on Roosevelt Blvd. During my research for this year's trip I noticed a Monte's by the wharf. What is the story?

I think they are different Monte's......the new one down near the waterfront has a pool etc...

Archived