PreCruise Option

OneMoreTime

My husband and I are on the 4 February HAL sailing from Sydney to Auckland. I was hoping to hear from someone who may have taken the pre cruise package that HAL offers. We are planning to spend 4 days in Sydney prior to sailing and had hoped to travel to Cairns on our own but thought it might be easier to join the arranged tour through HAL. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

O.M.T.

I hope you meant Feb 2 not Feb 4 otherwise you will have missed the boat - literally...and I don't think there are any vacancies on the Sapphire which is leaving Sydney Feb 4...

4 days in Sydney might sound a lot, but there is much to see. Cairns is some 3000 klms from Sydney (+4hrs) so you would need to take 2 days effectively in flying...seems a waste to me - and I think you could be a little disappointed in Cairns if you were just flying in and flying out.

I suppose it could be a bit different if you were flying direct into Cairns (presumably from US) - but that would mean not having time to see much of Sydney - and would definately be a big disppointment.

Have a look at the various posts on these boards on what to see and do in Sydney instead and get your monies worth.

cheers

Flipper,

OneMoreTime is going on a HAL ship which is the Statendam not the Sapphire Princess so the dates could be correct as stated.

OneMoreTime,

I agree with Flipper that Cairns is too far away for a two day visit when Sydney has so much to offer. You could arrive in Cairns and find a cyclone was in the making as it is our cyclone time up north then.

I would spend the time in and around Sydney. There is so much to do in that city and you can easily fill in your days. eg. Do the Bridge Climb which is fabulous, visit the Zoo and catch the chair lift up and walk down, the view of the harbour is to die for. Catch the ferry to Manly or to Watson's Bay and have a fish meal there at Doyle's. Return by bus to the city and look at the various views. go to Darling Harbour and look at the various museums. Take a day tour to the Blue Mountains and see the 3 sisters etc. Take a tour of the Opera House or a ferry tour to Middle Harbour. Of course you have to go to Bondi Beach to see the famous surf. I can keep going but I have already used up your four days. Sydney has such a lot to offer and you won't get bored.

Jennie

Hi Jennie

We will also be in Sydney in January during the Music Festival.

I see tickets for the Opera House, for a mini-show, for $25 each. We were thinking of going, just even for the experience. But was wondering if we should buy in advance? Hate to have them sold out, but yet we may be too tired to really go in the pm (long flight to get there :-). What do you (or anyone?) think?

Thanks for you help.

Debbie

Debbie,

What time do you fly into Sydney? If you arrive early in the morning, you may be able to snatch a couple of hours sleep during the afternoon and then you will be fine for the concert.

Usually we always stay awake and walk on the first day of arrival when we fly to Europe or the U.S., then we have an early dinner before going to bed around 7.30pm but if you want to go to the concert you will need to have a rest.

I would definitely book the tickets beforehand if you decide to go.

Jennie

My husband and I are on the 4 February HAL sailing from Sydney to Auckland. I was hoping to hear from someone who may have taken the pre cruise package that HAL offers. We are planning to spend 4 days in Sydney prior to sailing and had hoped to travel to Cairns on our own but thought it might be easier to join the arranged tour through HAL. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

You don't need an arranged tour to go from Sydney to Cairns. It's easy enough to do on your own.

However, I agree with the others that with only 4 pre-cruise days I wouldn't spend two of them travelling. Syd to Cairns is about a 4 hour flight, so with getting to/from airports, etc it's an all day ordeal.

I'd stay in Sydney for the 4 days.

I'd stay in Sydney for the 4 days.
I also agree with this. Your choice is basically between four days in Sydney, and one day each in Sydney and Cairns and two days travelling.

There's enough in Sydney to keep you occupied for four weeks, so four days should not be a problem.

Hi,

I just wanted to reinforce what others have said by pointing out the weather in Cairns in February is horrid. Very hot, humid and rainy. (and as mentioned by Jennie, a risk of cyclones)

You'll have a much better time in Sydney.

Come back to Australia sometime between May - September and visit Cairns. You could also do the Top End (Kakadu), and Uluru (Ayers Rock) as well.

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived