Recommendations for tour operators in Colon

rareflower

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for tour operators and tours in Colon, Panama. I have read many threads here that recommend MyFriendMario. I have written him expressing interest in his CL001 tour (Rainforest, Fort, Locks) but have not had a response back yet.

Are there other tour companies and tours that anyone would recommend?

Thanks

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Carnival Legend 12/18/06. Used My Friend Mario (myfriendmario.com) tour CL007 Embera Indian Village + Chagres River + Canal: Gatun Locks. It was a great combination. It was great for kids too. My six year old had a blast. We reserved via email. Everything went as planned.

We also used MyFriendMario for the Embera Indian excursion last week while on the Liberty. They seemed to be a very professional organization and had things well organized and we enjoyed the tour.

My only concern was the length of the excursion since the Liberty is only in port until 4 PM. We did make it back almost on time (about 3:35 when they ask you to board by 3:30.) However, we did not worry as there was a Carnival bus in front of us as we entered Colon. In fact, several of Canival tours arrived back much later than we did.

I want to first thank you for your post they were helpful. I am going on my fifth cruise this Feb. 4, 2007. I am intrested in going through the locks of the Panama Canal. I don not wish to spend an arm and a leg going through the ship. So i took your advise only problem is I dont seem to see where to sign up for any of his tours. I dont see any e-mail contact info. HELP!!!!!!!

We used Panama Pete’s Adventures. Absolutely superb! Private van with driver and guide from pier side in Cristóbal to Panama City (old and new) and the Miraflores Locks, including the great new museum. Super lunch at Amador. Touring with our guide, Alex, was the equivalent of having your own history professor, geography expert, cultural liaison and best buddy with you. Exceptional experience for us.

This past Nov. my DW and I went on a tour, CL007 as described above, with Mario. It was fantastic and a day that we will never forget. As stated above, just try contacting him again, sometimes there are Internet breakdowns and not his fault. He returned my email inquiry the next day and answered all questions. This has to be one of the best tour options considering value and the length of time that you will be there. The sooner that you book this tour the better, it is popular as you can see by the postings here. Good luck.

Randy

I want to first thank you for your post they were helpful. I am going on my fifth cruise this Feb. 4, 2007. I am intrested in going through the locks of the Panama Canal. I don not wish to spend an arm and a leg going through the ship. So i took your advise only problem is I dont seem to see where to sign up for any of his tours. I dont see any e-mail contact info. HELP!!!!!!!

Are you going on the Carnival Legend?

Yes I Will Be On The Carnival Legend On Feb.4th 2007. I Contacted Mario And I Found Out That I Have To Go Through The Ship To Go Into The Canal $175.00. Oh Well:)

Great!..we're on the same cruise. Have you signed into the CC roll call board? Have you been on the Legend before?

i will go there. if you tell me where to find it on this site lol im new at cruise critics and need some help getting around this site. i will be happy to meet new people. thanks of course it is 6am in the morning and im on my way to work.

• 3 weeks later...
We ae booked in Panama with Mario. Safe???? I hear bad stuff on Panama. Patty

Patty,

I have read about unsafe areas in Central America as well, I would never venture off alone when there. When on the CL 007 tour with Mario last Nov., while on the Legend, we did go through some areas that looked a little rough, and of course everywhere you go, in the Caribbean or Cent. Am., you must be prepared to see poverty conditions. However, we did not see anything that made us feel unsafe, they probably chose their routes carefully so as not to expose you to dangerous areas. We had a wonderful time, our guides were Lori & Ricardo, and we enjoyed the tour very much, a day that we will always remember. The cost was far less than through the ship, and only about 22 people on this A/C mini bus, a nice size for a group tour. They also had us back to the ship about a half an hour prior to the scheduled departure so we had no problems at all with Mario. Good luck and happy cruising.

Randy

[Just got back from Carnival Legend 12/18/06. Used My Friend Mario (myfriendmario.com) Embera Indian Village + Chagres River + Canal: Gatun Locks It was a great combination. It was great for kids too. My six year old had a blast. We reserved via email. Everything went as planned.

what time were you in port? Did you get back to the ship in plenty of time? We have signed up for the Embera Village without the canal because of the time (the last time we were in panama we did a ship tour which got back late, no problem because it was a ship tour, but had it been a private tour we would have been out of luck)

[We also used MyFriendMario for the Embera Indian excursion last week while on the Liberty. They seemed to be a very professional organization and had things well organized and we enjoyed the tour.

My only concern was the length of the excursion since the Liberty is only in port until 4 PM. We did make it back almost on time (about 3:35 when they ask you to board by 3:30.) However, we did not worry as there was a Carnival bus in front of us as we entered Colon. In fact, several of Canival tours arrived back much later than we did.

was this the locks and Indian tour or just the Embera Indians? We are on the Liberty in Feb, my biggest concern is missing the ship if the tour runs too long! We have booked just the Embera village.

We used Panama Pete’s Adventures. Absolutely superb! Private van with driver and guide from pier side in Cristóbal to Panama City (old and new) and the Miraflores Locks, including the great new museum. Super lunch at Amador. Touring with our guide, Alex, was the equivalent of having your own history professor, geography expert, cultural liaison and best buddy with you. Exceptional experience for us.

Would have an e-mail address for Advanture Pete

thanks

john

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lesa & Craig, and Papillon,

Very sorry for the delay in responding.

I booked our tour, which was private, and worth every penny, with Pete over the phone. His toll free number is 1-877-726-6222. Just ask to talk with Pete Garcia. Very knowledgeable about anything Panama. So easy to deal with. And, absoultely honest. If you have a chance to hook up with one of his guides, "Alex", as we did...so much the better.

My advice for Panama: Leave Colon as quickly as possible. Colon is DANGEROUS! If Panama is a third world country, Colon is fifth world (Pete's quote). I speak fluent Spanish and that place scared the dickens out of me.

Panama City is incredible, the old and the new. And, as for the canal, the Miraflores Locks, and great museum, are light years above the Gatun side.

If you talk with Pete, tell him Sandy says "Bia Bua!".

This was my third trip to Panama, but my wife's first. Would be happy to answer any questions as best as I can.

Sandy

Archived