Wine questions

MMW37

I have two. One, I have heard the rumor that Carnival seems to prefer that we only bring on 2 bottles/person. That would be fine for a 3 night cruise, but ours is 8 nights. We are planning on bringing a bottle to dinner every night and happily paying corkage, plus enjoying a glass or two now and then on our balcony. We brought a case of wine (12 bottles) on our last Carnival cruise, clearly marked as such, and no one even asked us about it. Our docs still say a "reasonable amount" of "fine wine" is allowed. Has anyone actually had wine confiscated by Carnival? If so, how much did you have?

Second question: Last time, our tablemates weren't drinkers. If they are, do you offer? I don't mind if they reciprocate, but who's to know we'll have similar tastes? I don't want to trade a glass each of my $70 bottle I was saving for a special occasion for the $9 bottle they grabbed at WalMart (nothing against $9 wine, but I occasionally splurge) on the way to the ship. I don't know the etiquette on this...sorry about the length, and thanks in advance for any answers! We leave a week from Monday.

We will be leaving for our 8 night cruise next month and I will be taking a case of wine, I have read on previous post they will not take it. For the second question, I have brought and bought wine at dinner on other cruiselines and do not feel obligated to share or offer to share. Laura

We brought 6 bottles for 2 adults on a 4-night ... no troubles at all.

We offered some of our wine each night to the other couple at our table -- she accepted a glass on the final night, & we enjoyed being able to share.

Also, we did not pay a corkage fee, ever, & any leftover wine was kept for us until the next dinner, & was waiting on our table when we were seated.

Thanks so far - I just went wine shopping and came home with 11 bottles, I'll probably take 12 with me, so it'll be an even case. Are you going to just bring the box? That's what we did last time, with "fragile" and "This Side Up" all over it so they definitely knew what it was. I just don't know what I'd do if they tried to take it away from me!

While we've never brought on a $70 bottle of wine, we have brought $35 bottles of wine.

We offered, they took. They did not reciprocate. No big deal to us-we had more in the cabin. If it was our last bottle, we would not have shared. And I think if I had spent more money on the wine and it was for a special occasion, I'd keep it to ourselves, and perhaps offer to share a different bottle on another night. They should not expect you to share-you basically are strangers, after all. :)

How about buying the wine in the duty free shops on shore? No more expensive then the states, and way cheaper for French wines. We bought a Montrachet in St. Thomas for $28, which sells for $50 in the states. You can find excellent French Bourdoux (sp) in the $10-$20 area. Dom Perignon Champagne was about $75. Just a thought, instead of carrying a case cross country.

We're driving, so there are no travel issues. We'll probably do as we did last time, and buy a bottle of liquor for every one of wine we drink to restock the bar at home. Even with the tax if you bring more than your allotment back, it's an awesome deal (plus they didn't charge us at all last time). I was just hoping there were no horror stories about excess wine being confiscated at the pier. I am bringing two pricey bottles and several moderately priced ones, since moderately priced bottles at a restaurant tend to cost what pricey ones do at the store! We're going over Christmas too, and I know myself - if I don't bring it with me, I'll be bad after a few cocktails and splurge on a full price bottle of something I really can't afford.

Archived