Food on the Valor

THERAPYCRUISE

Hi! We enjoyed the food every night in the dining room. We always found something good on the menu. We ate at the 6:15pm in the Lincoln Dining Room, so we decided to eat at Scarletts on Wed night since we were in Roatan until 6pm that night. Honestly though---there were 27 of us in our group and everyone seemed to enjoy their food every night in the dining room. The food at Scarletts is great as well----I had the surf and turf and it was awesome! My husband had a steak and loved it. He had the crab cake and I had the lobster bisque and we both enjoyed those as well. Enjoy and have a great cruise! :-)

Holly

We originally booked Scarlett's on Tuesday, but then found out it was the past guest party night, so we switched to Wednesday. We were told by our Lincoln dining room tablemates that the menu choices Wednesday were not too good.

I had the veal chop, it was excellent and apparently 14 ounces. Nicely seasoned, and very juicy.

I also thought the dining room food was excellent. I don't recall anything that wasn't right, aside from my stomach being full most nights, making dessert a dillemma... do I pass, or do I burst? And some nights there were several delicious entrees and appetizers (that I liked) to choose from.

Someone posted the new Carnival menus a few days ago. One of them showed crab legs as one of the starters. Did anyone see them on the menu? Say Yes!!! The reason I ask is because they might have been for an 8 day cruise, I'm hoping the day they don't do on the 7 day cruise isn't the day with the crab legs. My DGD and DSIL will be with us and they both just LOVE crab legs! :)

Someone posted the new Carnival menus a few days ago. One of them showed crab legs as one of the starters. Did anyone see them on the menu? Say Yes!!! The reason I ask is because they might have been for an 8 day cruise, I'm hoping the day they don't do on the 7 day cruise isn't the day with the crab legs. My DGD and DSIL will be with us and they both just LOVE crab legs! :)

Missed the dining room once each week on the Valor last month, but don't recall seeing crab legs.. (or frog legs, either). I know because my wife would have ordered them no matter which crab they came from :-)

If you love crab legs try the seafood buffet at the Rio hotel in Las Vegas... all you can eat crab and lobster... yum! But we haven't seen crab legs on our cruises on Carnival.

"If you love crab legs try the seafood buffet at the Rio hotel in Las Vegas... all you can eat crab and lobster... yum! "

MMMMMMMMMMMM I love the Rio. Will be on the valor in April.

A cruise is one of the only vacations that the food compares with what we have here in Vegas. As far as price, quality and of course quantity.

The food has been extremely good in the main dining room - none of us felt it was worth the extra $30 each to go 'up' to Scarlett's, that the food wouldn't be that much better.

There have been individual issues - for example the instant potatoes were not good but the Chateaubriand was very good. The lobster bisque tonight was on the thin side but had good flavors. The chocolate melting cake has varied wildly from night to night.

It's always very individual to say how good or not good a given venue is. We have run into many people on this cruise who refuse to eat in the dining rooms at all - they solely are interested in the buffets. They think the buffets are great :)

On Fish & Chips - I think we were spoiled by the Liberty last year. The fish & chips there were *superb* - the soups, the oysters etc. It's just not the same quality here this year. Maybe it's the chef - maybe they're doing things differently this year, maybe it's the ship. I don't think we would have noticed it wasn't "quite as good" if we didn't have last year's benchmark to start from.

The food has been extremely good in the main dining room - none of us felt it was worth the extra $30 each to go 'up' to Scarlett's, that the food wouldn't be that much better.

There have been individual issues - for example the instant potatoes were not good but the Chateaubriand was very good. The lobster bisque tonight was on the thin side but had good flavors. The chocolate melting cake has varied wildly from night to night.

It's always very individual to say how good or not good a given venue is. We have run into many people on this cruise who refuse to eat in the dining rooms at all - they solely are interested in the buffets. They think the buffets are great :)

On Fish & Chips - I think we were spoiled by the Liberty last year. The fish & chips there were *superb* - the soups, the oysters etc. It's just not the same quality here this year. Maybe it's the chef - maybe they're doing things differently this year, maybe it's the ship. I don't think we would have noticed it wasn't "quite as good" if we didn't have last year's benchmark to start from.

WOW,Bella you are awesome, thank you for taking the time during your vacation to respond to little old me. That is great. I hope you have the best time on your cruise. Thanks again.

I'd try the crab legs at the Rio , but...I don't claim to be an expert at reading a map, but I'm pretty sure the Valor would have a tough time sailing to Vegas. :) Thanks Zaandam_2, were you on a 7 day cruise?

i was on for 28 days, b2b med and transatlantic

DH & I were on the same cruise with Holly. We ate in the Washington dining room every night and enjoyed our dining experience. In fact, the entrees featuring beef tenderloin were excellent and among the best we have had in 16 cruises on 5 different cruise lines.

Desserts were good although not up to those we have enjoyed on X and Princess, however that means up to our individual tastes. Particularly enjoyed sipping a free cappucino each evening with my dessert.:)

On most cruise lines there is usually one evening I have trouble finding something on the menu I would truly enjoy (normally Italian themed menu for me), however that was not true on the Valor. Thought the menus offered a great selection with a good variety of entree choices as well as soups and appetizers.

Loved the pizza station -- in fact, loved it about every night!:D Ate at fish & chips first day on board and wasn't really thrilled with the product. seemed a bit oily for our likes.

Dianne

Some folks really don't like the dining room environment and would rather do the buffet. I recall one night I wandered by the buffet and noticed they were serving a roast beef loin (sliced about 1/2" thick), while in the dining room the same meat was prepared as steaks. For that cut, I'd take the roast portion with some horseradish any day. In the dining room, I passed on the steak and ordered something else (possibly the rack of lamb, but I have my nights all mixed up by now). But we had great tablemates and enjoyed the dining room. I suppose if I was really hungry, I could have had both :cool:

Archived