Miami Port to MIA

DancerOT

Well, you could go through the trouble of pre-booking with a transfer/limo company, or you could use the overpriced cruise line transfers (which allows you to sit on a bus while they wait to get filled). But, the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way is to simply use taxis. Even at 2 to a taxi its cheaper than any other transfer and if you need more than 1 taxi, its only a few minutes apart until you arrive at the airport. On our last cruise into Miami we grabbed a taxi and got to the airport where we were able to change our flight to a much earlier flight. Other friends who used the cruise line transfers took so long to get to the terminal that the earlier flight was already full.

Hank

Took a taxi to and from MIA to the pier about a year ago. $24 sounds about right. It was a very quick ride. Many of the taxis are minivans, so we snagged a minivan to pack all of our stuff. I don't know about other ports but I'll never use a cruise transfer in Miami again.

Been on two cruises from Miami in the last year. It's true, there is a fixed rate of $24 to the airport. If you are headed to an off-airport car rental location (nice to have a car if you have a late flight home), be sure to have the cab drop you off at the airport, check in for the car there, and ride the shuttle to the car. If the cab takes you directly to Hertz, for example, the flat rate does not apply.

But... there is a better way...

As I exited the cruise terminal after clearing customs, I was approached by someone offering to take me directly to the airport OR to Hertz for $19. I was skeptical but there were cops right there keeping the taxi drivers back and they seemed to be favoring this guy, so I thought "what the heck" and went along. It was a good experience.

They loaded the luggage into a trailer pulled by a large van. We climbed aboard and the van took off. The driver was great, and went out of his way to get me right to Hertz' front door.

I caution against going with a ship-sponsored transport. These are large motorcoaches, and they do not leave until full -- that can take a while, so you could be delayed while it fills up.

I'm glad your ride worked out for you Salty Dingo. However, if the van was not identifiable with a company logo and such, you cannot not be assured that the vehicle meets city and county regulations or even carries insurance. Just because police were around allowing this individual to conduct business does not mean they vouched for passenger safety. It may only mean that someone was payed off to look the other way. It would be prudent to err on the side of caution. With that being said, the ride from the port is direct and convenient. Traffic is worst in the afternoon when heading from the port to the airport.

I'm glad your ride worked out for you Salty Dingo. However, if the van was not identifiable with a company logo and such, you cannot not be assured that the vehicle meets city and county regulations or even carries insurance.

I cannot recall if the van had any sort of company logo... but I recall it was not the only one of its kind... there were several. All were full of fellow cruisers. I felt at least as comfortable as I felt on the excursions on the islands I visited. Betcha those island drivers do not have any insurance either!

Archived