Why, why, why, why...why??

Danno

Stretch -- what changes occurred on Brilliance? And I think it's a bit of a stretch (oops, sorry :D ) to assume that any changes on RCCL ships will be made on Celebrity. To my knowledge, so far, they haven't. But I would like to know what happened.

LMK,

The first thing we noticed was that most of the staff from the previous year had gone on to other ships. I'm not sure that this is normal, but with the number of new ships that RCI has come out with recently, I'm sure it's put a strain on their pool of employees. In the Main Dining room, the waiters and their assistants had far to many tables to cover

adequately. They no longer had their wine stewards, wine orders were taken by the asst. waiter. We purchased the 7 bottle wine platinum package for our 11 day cruise for around $209 including the tip. Every evening we would arrive at our table and immediately place our wine order. One every occasion, our wine did not arrive until at least after our appetizers and not until after our salads on 3 nights. The waiters were overwhelmed and that little time for personal service and for chit-chat was nonexistant. The food was lukewarm in most cases or just plain cold. Steaks were brought out and distributed without regard for cooking preferences. OK, I know they don't want to serve rare steaks, I can live with that, but when I request it rare as possible and I get it over-well done, while others at adjoining tables send theirs back for being too rare, something is wrong. On lobster night, we received our first round and although quite small, the flavor was good. When the seconds came around, they were raw and still cold in the center. I find it difficult to understand why they would refuse to serve a steak rare, but had no qualms about serving raw lobster. My DW is not a lobster person so she ordered the pasta and seafood dish with "portobello" muchrooms. Well, the pasta looked like Kraft Mac & Cheese, not very well mixed at that with a few tiny sad looking popcorn shrimp scattered on top and canned button muchrooms. The worst thing about all this was it actually looked better than it tasted. In fact, it had no taste at all.

On this same night, an entire table of 12 just behind us did not receive their entrees until we had already finished our deserts and coffee. The reason was a "glitch" in the galley. I can only imagine an entire bank of microwave ovens had short circuited. This was also the first cruise that a new cabin steward system took place. Instead on one cabin steward have 10 or so cabins to take care of, they have teams of 2 with 35 - 40 cabins. Our cabin was never made up before 2:00 in the afternoon, not a big problem, it's just that the previous year if you went to get a cup of coffee at the Windjammer at 8:00 a.m., when you got back, your cabin was made up. From the second day, our steward did not put the bedspread back on, she kept it rolled up in the corner. Evening turndown service was usually after we had returned from dinner, again not a problem, just leave me the mints and I as happy as a clam, but a noticeable difference anyway. These poor hard working people were up at 7:00 a.m. starting their work and could be seen after 11:00 p.m. trying to finish their jobs. All this in the name of cost cutting. We would gladly pay more for the level of service and quality that had been in place just a short 11 months prior.

Stretch

A point well taken. If prices are lowered corners are cut. I agree with all of you who said if you want particular qualities in a cruiseline than find the line that has those qualities and book them. The problem, I believe, is that celebrity is adverising certain qualities (formal nights, elegant atmospher, etc) but are no longer completely delivering on that promise. Is celeb fleet made up of cardboard dingies serving sea rations. Of course not. But does it provide the same service both on board as well as customer sevice in the cooperate office, or offer the highest quality of food as it did on my first celeb cruise back in 1991? Sadly it does not. Will I continue to sail celeb? Yes....for a while anyway. But when I find myself compromising the things I look for in a cruise then it will be time to go. Call this snobbery if you will. Hey nobody enjoys sucking a cold beer down with the boys while watching a ballgame more than I do. But I dont have to hop on a plane to get to a dock to board a ship to sail to various ports to do that. I do that at home (all the time according to my wife). A cruise vacation, in my opinion, is one where you experience the finer things in life......escape the ordinary. No its not faux rich as someone suggested earlier its the feeling of being pampered for one week out of a long year where I break my a$$ for a bunch of ungrateful people.

Do I completely agree that all rules should be followed to the letter. Absolutly not. But when a passanger is acting in a way as to disturb others than that has to be address....even at a ball game. No I dont care what someone is wearing to dinner even though I personally wear a tux. I do care that a bunch of kids were ringing my phone at 4:30am while the parents were god knows where. Sorry if you dont agree with this. Oh I am 39 lest you thing I am 70 and dismiss me as a crouchedy old geezer LOL

Duck,

You're right in saying Celebrity does advertise themselves as being a refined cruise experience. They need to examine their ads before making any cost cutting measures that could effect certain aspects of the cruise experience. You described perfectly my feelings on why those of us feel so strong on this topic of why? Escape the ordinary, well put! :)

Stretch -- YIKES on the Brilliance. (Still haven't decided to do Celeb or RCCL this Dec.) The difference is....different ports and about 400 dollars difference total. (Certainly not enough 'savings' to go with the less expensive and have a so-so cruise.) Have you heard of others who have had similar experiences on the Brilliance?

Nicole,

you mean other than the folks on our cruise?? It probably wouldn't be noticeable to others that had not cruised on her the year before, but there were several of us that had and for the most part these changes were pointed out. If things had been even close to the same as in 2003, I would have booked on her again for 2005, especially with the newest 11 day itinerary that is out, but we also wanted to see Alaska and try Celebrity so that just helped make our minds up. It was tough passing by pax boarding an X ship, and seeing those cold little washclothes being handed out on a hot - sunny day and not having them on RCI. It's those little things that do make a difference. Don't get me wrong, the Brilliance is a fantastic ship, our favorite so far, but quit with the cheaping down stuff.

Stretch

No, it's just the opposite. I'm going to do what I am going to do, and won't look to Danno or anyone else for approval or disapproval. If the snobs are so high and mighty, they might want to go with the rest of the faux wealthy on Cunard.

And you sound like my son. What are the two of you up to???15_2_103v.gif

No, it's just the opposite. I'm going to do what I am going to do, and won't look to Danno or anyone else for approval or disapproval. If the snobs are so high and mighty, they might want to go with the rest of the faux wealthy on Cunard.

I actually just want to give all you SNOBS something else to COMPLAIN about. Seems to be working quite well,,, you folks also fall into the calling of names bit, and giving orders ( fifth time told to get off a thread )......:rolleyes: But as you can tell it bothers me NOT!!!! :cool: I just love enticing, and I am very good at it...;)

I believe there are a number of posters on this thread who aren't completely understanding what the original post meant. If Celebrity falls to the demands of a large number of cruise passengers by allowing a more casual atmosphere, then Celebrity will basically be no different from any other cruise line. Every line will approach the cruise experience exactly the same as all the others, and once that happens, how boring will that be? Why is it that those who prefer a non-tradtitional cruise experience (read that as being a casual experience), want to turn every ship into something casual? There are choices for everyone and if one cruise line doesn't have what you want, then find one that does, but do not expect a cruise line to change to what you want it to be. If you want a less traditional cruise experience, then go with NCL, Princess, RCCI or Carnival, but also know that you will have to sacrifice something when picking that line. If you don't want to dress according to the rules, then go with a personal choice or freestyle cruise line, but then be aware that the food and service might not be what you prefer. If you want formal all the way, then go with Seabourn or Crystal, but be prepared to pay for that. But, as to what Danno was saying, why can't just one line be for those who want the totally traditional cruising experience? And for those who still want the casual thing, either go with another line and put up with the fact that it won't be a Celebrity cruise in terms of food, service or ambience, or suck it up and pack the suit and gown. While I don't give a rats behind what others wear on a cruise, in reality it does ruin the ambience when one of your tablemates wears casual slacks and shirts on formal night.

I agree with you, this post is old and yesterdays news. Let's all just kiss and make up. We all just need to realize that people are going to do what they feel is best for them; whether anyone likes it or not. :D

I agree this thread is over - I will respond to two posts and I will be done.

kitty9 - The reason the casual people choose X is because they market toward them - X is not a formal line and no matter how much you and Danno and others would like it to be is just isn't. Until X decides what it wants to be this will continue and we will go in circles.

dkdb - I have gone through this post again to make sure I wasn't missing anything and have to say that the only people bothered by others clothing are the ones who want everyone in a tux. If you read most say (the casual ones) they could care less what you are wearing. So in short to answer your question it bothers no one that you are wearing a tux!

Obviously I'm a little older than some of you, but I understand your feelings. I don't let things bother me while on vacation either but I do appreciate the Celebrity cruise experience and would like to see it remain a more traditional cruiseline. A person here or there who is inconsiderate is one thing and easy to ignore. I'm sure what Danno and others are concerned about is how easily it becomes something altogether different. It's easy to sit back and say you don't care what others do until it reaches a level that even you can't tolerate. I'm sure most of us appreciate the things Celebrity offers or we wouldn't be sailing with them. I'm just enjoying the exerience while it still exists because with the "I don't care" attitude becoming ever more prevalent it won't be too many years before we'll have to watch out for skateboarders in G- strings in the dining room.:)

Archived