SYD to city

RET_REF

What's the best way to get into the Sydney from the airport for 2 people? I"ve looked at airporterbus, cabs, and cityshuttle. Going to Four Seasons Hotel, We'll probably have ~ 3 pieces of luggage. Thanks!

We are meeting a friend before our cruise in January. This is what she just sent me:

Shuttle. Go to a booth selling tickets to a shuttle that runs to the central business district every 25 minutes. They take you to the door. A$12. per person one way. I think this is your best bet especially if you have big suitcases.

Taxi, may be as much as A$40. If you are in rush hour, I would not do this. Rush hour is between 7:30 and 9 AM.

Taxi.

We arrived in Sydney on Statendam last Friday morning.

We were off the ship at 8:45 and checking in at the airport at 9:25. (our flight wasn't until 12:30).

Cost was AUD29. 3 Pieces of luggage shouldn't be a problem for a Sydney taxi. They will often put a piece in the front passenger seat or use occy straps to keep the boot closed. (That's Australian for using bungy cord to keep the trunk closed;) ).

Cheers,

Steve.

We have always used a taxi when in Sydney. Using the freeway from the airport to the ship is extremely quick and should take less than 30 minutes.

Taxis are cheap and so much easier than using the train with all your luggage. If you are coming from the U.S. remember that our dollar is a lot less than yours and for a $30Aud fare you would be paying around $24UD.

Jennie

I usually catch cabs to and from airports but last year, when we had some time to kill, my wife and I caught a shuttle from Darling Harbour to Airport. Not sure if it was $12 or $15 (each) but I remember thinking that for the two of us it was not much cheaper than a cab, and if there had been 3 of us it would probably been more expensive than a cab.

The other thing is your baggage. They toss them into an enclosed trailer - and I have actually seen one leave with the trailer door wide open and luggage ready to fall out!

The trip in a shuttle is noisy, rattlly and uncumfortable. They aslo stop at every other hotel around so the trip can be quite long. Just what you need after a 14 hour flight from USA. - NOT

In a cab no such problems. Quite often you will get a Station Wagon so plenty of room for luggage - else they make room as noted previously. You get door to door service, your luggage is looked after and you dont have to tip. You can even use your Credit Card to pay if you don't have local currency.

To me there is no question. Arriving in town from OS you must get a cab.

cheers

Are there cabs (maxi vans perhaps) large enough for a group of four and several suitcases? Is it best to reserve in advance or is it easy to get a taxi outside the airport terminal? I was thinking shuttle too, but we're arriving so early in the morning after a long flight and really don't want to mess around.

Hi Mare

You will have no problems getting a cab at Sydney International Airport

Many of them are Station Wagons which will handle 4 + baggage and there is the occassional Maxi Taxi.

There are "Cab Stewards" on hand to make sure there are no problems and if you make one aware of your needs he can organise an appropriate vehicle.

However I know what it is like arriving at a foreign airport after a long flight. Sydney - London is +24hours!

Last time we went to Heathrow (2 adults 2 kids) I prebooked a hire car as I knew that London cabs are rather limited in carrying capacity.

You can pre book a Private Shuttle which will cost A$85 for 4 people at:

http://www.cityshuttle.com.au/index.php

or you may care to check out

http://www.airportservice.com/

which is a world wide service including Australia

Like anywhere else it is possible to pre book a taxi but I don't think you can do this for an airport pickup - certainly there are difficuties getting the right details entered on the on line booking pages.

cheers

Shuttle. Go to a booth selling tickets to a shuttle that runs to the central business district every 25 minutes. They take you to the door. A$12. per person one way. I think this is your best bet especially if you have big suitcases.
To the Four Seasons, this is definitely not worth it.

I once got talked into jumping on a shuttle because it was going to drop off at a hotel very near a restaurant that I was going to between flights. 45 minutes later, I abandoned the shuttle and caught a cab, just as I should have done to start off with. The only advantage of the shuttle is the free tour of all of the city's other hotels before you get to yours.

Definitely get a cab.

I used a shuttle service once which I had pre-booked. I was not aware that they would also be waiting for other people off other flights. These flights were delayed and I had to wait around the airport for over an hour. I think a taxi would be an easier option and you would not have to wait more than a few minutes. Enjoy your stay.

Archived