Need hotel advice for Barcelona

arlenemilt

Any recommendations? Would like to be near Ramblas area. Thanks. :)

Arlene

A...We stayed at the Hotel Colon twice . It cost around 90 Euros per night . It is in a great location across the piazza from the Cathedral and a short walk to Las Ramblas . I know Tony was pleased where he stayed and it included breakfast . I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel . I believe we stayed in Room 423 but I can confirm that with you . It is a huge corner room with a huge washroom considering European hotel standards .

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona right on La Ramblas. The sister hotel, Continental Palacete is a little more upscale and costs a bit more. It is about 2 blocks up from the beginning of La Ramblas.

We really liked the Continental Barcelona. We had a room with balcony overlooking the street and we really enjoyed watching the people below. And the noise never bothered us. It is pretty small and you have to use a very small elevator to go up one flight to get to the lobby. Be very careful with your luggage and camera gabs/purses (and not just at this hotel) - Barcelona is noted for very active pickpockets and quick "grab-and-run thieves. The breakfast buffet is OK, but not hot food. Cereal, fruit, pastry and toast is just about it. But it's good. There was also a PC with internet connection in the lobby that was free when we were there.

Here is a link to the web site for both hotels.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

We enjoyed the Continental Palacete (twice) especially the 24 hour mini buffet that included bottled water, sodas, beer and inexpensive wine. We used it for breakfast, light lunch and snacks...saved a bundle on it and the lounge is lovely for visiting with others and meeting new friends. The Hotel Colon is in a great location but when we checked rates it was much higher than the 90 Euros posted by Envy4u. If we had gotten that rate we would have tried it for the location. Had great sanwiches and Sangria in their outdoor cafe one lovely Sunday afternoon :)

We stayed in the Continental Palacete also, last August. The buffet is incredible. One block from Rablas...which I found to be quite a disappointment...a few mimes, some caged birds for sale, and lots of crowds... the hotel, however, was charming and also had a couple of computers for unlimited free internet access. Right across the road from a taxi station, too, so it's really easy to get to your ship.

I stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo on Las Ramblas. It was nice- free internet in lobby, breakfast is NOT free. Beds were very comfortable.

As for my overall impression of Barcelona. Thought it was a dirty city but I did not do a bus tour and those that did enjoyed it.

We have stayed in Barcelona before 3 transatlantic cruises. It is a wonderful city. There is such a mixture of architecture from Gothic through modern. The best time to walk Las Ramblas is early evening or on weekends. Street performers are out in full force and it is great to sit in one of the outdoor cafes and have a glass of cava or wine and people watch. Each block of Las Ramblas is named after the type of businesses on the ramblas - one block has bird sellers (all types from roosters to parakeets), another has flower shops, and a third one has artists. There is so much to look at that we really never noticed the Joan Miro mosaic on the walkway until our second visit.

We stayed at Le Meridien right on Las Ramblas. Just about 2 blocks from the tourist bus and about 2 blocks from the open air market. It is a little pricey but the location and rooms are fantastic. The rooms were just remodeled last year. They also have free internet in the lobby with computer and printer. You can find package deals that include breakfast and admission tickets to places like La Sagrida Familia where the room rate is a little lower on the Starwood website.

we also stay leMeridan and it was great fun and a terrific location. B'fast was good. this was a pre-cruise package on Celebrity

deec -

We stayed there on a precruise package from Celebrity for our first trans. We found that we could book the hotel cheaper on our own - including paying for transportation to and from the hotel - so we for the last two trans we booked the hotel on our own. We used Angie at Internacional Taxi to get from the airport to the hotel and hotel to port. If you do go back to Barcelona, check into deals offered by Starwood hotels for Le Meridien. We saved about $200 total over Celebrity's price.

If you are on a tight budget and want a more non-touristic experience we stayed at the Jardi, in the Gothic quarter with a huge rooftop terrace for 96 euros in October. This is a very popular hotel and books up fast. It is listed in both Rick Steves and Fromers (and trip advisor). We had three days pre-cruise and could have stayed longer--a wonderful city!!!

We would also recommend the Hotel Continental. We just stayed there on 11/6/06 and would certainly stay there again in the future. We paid about $130 USD a night for a balcony room over looking La Ramblas. The free food and drinks (beer included) was a wonderful perk. It's certainly NOT luxury accommodations but it was exactly what we were looking for. So much to do in Barcelona you're almost never in the hotel anyway.

Archived