FL Turnpike vs I-95

CruiseHealing

Although I live in Florda (Jacksonville), I rarely go to south FL. The last time was about 6 months ago. As I remember it, there was a lot of construction along I-95 between Jupiter and Miami, and traffic was moving but slower than the FL Turnpike. So the questions is, would it be better to take I-95 to the port or the FL Turnpike?

Cruising down 95 is not . . .

CruiseHealing

My husband and I live in Jensen Beach, FL and I would definitely advise taking the Turnpike as opposed to 95. The traffic and construction on 95 are crazy. We are sailing on the Jewel in February and will most definitely take the Turnpike, this is the best option for us. We travel to Fort Lauderdale and Miami quite often and always take the Turnpike.

I agree to take the turnpike. We drove from NC in Nov. really not knowing about the turnpike and we came down I-95, nightmare. It was bumper-to-bumper and construction everywhere. There were quite a few times we were only going 25 mph and a lot of angry drivers, you could tell by their faces or the fact that some were pointing for people to get over and they couldn't get over. I told my hubby a few times, O gosh...road rage, right here. Anyway hope this helps.

Missygirl

Although I live in Florda (Jacksonville), I rarely go to south FL. The last time was about 6 months ago. As I remember it, there was a lot of construction along I-95 between Jupiter and Miami, and traffic was moving but slower than the FL Turnpike. So the questions is, would it be better to take I-95 to the port or the FL Turnpike?

Cruising down 95 is not . . .

CruiseHealing

I wouldn't drive from Jacksonville to Orlando just to pick up the turnpike but I would hop on at Ft. Pierce to get around Palm Beach, FLL, and most of Miami.

If you were starting in Orlando definitely.

I live in Palm Bay and when I head south I generally use I-95. I guess i've been pretty lucky with it because I have never had any real problems except that there is always construction.:mad: It's not too bad if you are taking 95 in the morning on a weekend (that's when I usually drive it), but it can be a real beeotch at times. The turnpike generally has a bit less traffic to contend with but is still very busy once you get into say, Broward county. The main problem with either is the accidents. Those suckers can back traffic up for 5 miles, even a fender bender can slow you down to a crawl as everyone has "rubberneckitis" in south Florida.:eek: So I guess for what it's worth, the Turnpike is probably your better bet. Good luck, we'll be making the same drive in Feb. to get to Port Everglades and the Carnival Liberty! Happy cruising.;)

Barb

Archived