Help - Cruise in late October

roe2ship

Well since I got back from my first cruise, all I can think about is booking my next one. To save some $$$, I would take a chance on cruising the eastern or western caribbean in late October or first week of November. However, DH feels it is too risky at that time and may not be worth the excellent prices they offer if in fact the seas are too rough, rainy days, etc. Would everybody who has sailed during these times, please chime in and let me know your experience (best and worst)? One other thing, are the caribbean waters still real warm and is east or west a better choice at this time? TIA

Roe, We always cruise at this time. We have had wonderful weather. If there is a hurricane where you are going, the ship goes the other way. The biggest concern would be booking excursions. If you miss them because of itinerary changes, there is no charge if booked with the ship. We have also gone western, when we were scheduled eastern, and it was fun. Great weather, and didn't miss a port. Great reason to book eastern again.

We normally sail at least once in the mid October to early November range.

Seas have usually been quite calm UNLESS there is a hurricane brewing. We have actually reversed itinerary in the past to avoid them on the Zaandam one year.

But we have also been caught in the surrounding areas of a hurricane too, hurricane Michelle a few years back. Highest waves I have ever witnessed first hand, and this was towards the middle of November. The cruise lines do all they can to avoid the areas, but sometimes it is beyond their control.

You just can't predict when the seas will be rough at any time, not just in the fall. It is the luck of the draw if you cruise during hurricane season. Most end up with no problem, but there is still a chance it can happen.

How's the water temp this time of year? We try to do some water related excursoin in each port and I don't like to feel chilly in the water. So far we have cruised in March, May and July--the water was perfect most of the time.

How's the water temp this time of year? We try to do some water related excursoin in each port and I don't like to feel chilly in the water. So far we have cruised in March, May and July--the water was perfect most of the time.

The water temp is still warm. It really is a good time of year to go on a cruise.

We've done the Carribean in mid-October and had terrific weather. I think it's much nicer than summer. We're doing the southern route again at that time this year. Some of the ports on that itinerary are actually outside of the hurricane belt.

Maybe your husband would feel better if he took trip insurance - that almost guaran tees nothing will go wrong (Murphy's Law).

By late October to early November the hurricane season is winding down. Yes, you can still have tropical storms then but statistically.......it is begining to wind down........we are booked on the Caribbean Princess November 6th....we hope you'll join us.......we think it is a good time of year to go.

Jim

I also do a week at that time each year. One year we were affected by two hurricanes, having a delayed departure because of the first and then a cancelled port because we were running from the second, but the sailing itself was barely outside the normal. All the other years, you'd never have known it was hurricane season.

We originally booked mid-October but had to reschedule to mid-November due to work, but I was ready to go for October. You can't predict when a hurricane will come, but they aren't like tornadoes in that they just pop up full force unforeseen. Hurricanes are predictable and once they are spotted, the pros can tell pretty much their path and the ships can avoid them. It will be a great adventure -- go for it!

We sailed last September during the busiest part of hurricane season and had a bit of both worlds. Seas were high in the Atlantic due to Fabian, but we turned south at the first opportunity and made the rest of the way to St. Thomas under more pleasant conditions. The rest of our 14-day B2B had the nicest weather you could possibly want. There were no missed ports and aside from that first couple of days, hardly any rough seas to bother us.

You are right, Gloria. It is an adventure!!! When we were diverted western, we found out our ports when the captain was told!! All of the eastern ships were diverted also!!! :eek: All the docking and tendering were first come first served, after the western itinery ships. The hurricane was coming across the eastern islands, so we went to mexico, grand cayman, around cuba, and followed it in, to go to the bahamas. It was one of our best cruises!!! :D

I wish I can join you this year, but I just came off a cruise and I am thinking for next year late Oct. / early Nov. My kids are off a couple of days during a week at that time for NJ teacher's convention. As much as I would like to go during the summer, it gets to be real pricey for 5 people plus airfare. I was checking prices for late April and early May, naturally prices are higher than the Fall but less than the Summer months. What about experiences east or west during this time, please? Thank you.

Archived