1st Time on RCCL & we are excited!! Questions, too.

twoatsea

Well, we finally did it!! On Jan. 14, we will board the Radiance of the Seas (God willing & the creek don't rise!!;) ). It's only a 6 nighter, but it fit into our schedule & it gives us a chance to have a look/see at RCCL. We have previously sailed Princess, Celebrity, HAL, NCL. My feeling is that we are going to like RCCL & will be repeat customers! Anyway, sorry, but here are some questions.

1. I've heard about the beds needing egg crate mattresses & special pillows. Should I request those in advance (if so, how), or ask the cabin steward?

2. We reserved a balcony guarantee & now I am having concerns. I saw on the website that some balconies are "obstructed". How can a balcony be obstructed? Is it total / awful? If so, maybe I should reserve a specific cabin.

3. Soooo important! What non-cost dining is available & what are the approximate times for B,L,D? Such as, buffet, hamburger/pizza/ice cream spots, etc. We have early dining, but sometimes we do not want to go to the dining room for dinner. Is there an evening buffet & if so, anyone know the approximate times?

4. Is there no-charge lemonade, ice tea, & coffee in the buffet & other areas? Soda cards available & cost & how many drinks on each card & get soda at any dining area?

5. Will I be able to view my reservation online? (booked with internet agent).

6. Will I be able to complete our immigration forms online?

We have sailed a lot, but we are reeeally excited about this cruise:D . So, to "feed" my excitement, any info anyone volunteers will be greatly appreciated.

Happy sails to you, too!

1. You are in the middle of the bedding replacement schedule for Radiance. You may, or may not, have one of the new beds. If you do then no problems! If not, some people have complained about the beds in the past. We didn't have any problems with ours on Explorer this past April.

2. Some of the balconies may be obstructed by lifeboats. Not sure how bad it is on Radiance, hopefully someone else can answer this one.

3. Your dining choices with no additional cost are basically the dining room, or the Windjammer buffet. Buffet is open for all three meals.

4. I know there is iced tea and coffee, not sure about lemonade. Soda cards are available, don't remember cost. Again, hopefully someone can fill in the details.

5. Yes. You may have to click a few extra buttons, but the website kinda guides you through it.

6. If you mean online check in, yes you can complete it online. If you mean the small cards they provide with docs, no you must fill them out and turn them in when directed to do so.

I think you will LOVE Radiance. We plan on trying a radiance class ship after our Freedom cruise. Try looking on cruise-cal for the daily Cruise Compass papers from a previous cruise. It will give all the times of operation for everything on board.

If you look at the deck plans for Radiance, it will show which specific cabins have obstructed or partially obstructed views. If it's only partially obstucted, then no worries. It's usually a ladder for the window washing equip. that you can see through. We had one on Brilliance, and it was of no concern at all! Bon Voyage!

Soda cards 6.00 per person plus tip built in x per day for unlimited soda. Avaiilable for purchase first day when you board. Card good at any dining or bar area except for room service as they only deliver cans so you must pay for a can of soda in room service and it will be on your Seapass.

Non cost dining is diningroom, Windjammer, room service, Promanade cafe. You do have to tip room service also because that is not included in your tip amount per day. Specialty eatery or Johnny's Rockets, Ben and Jerry Ice cream, specialty coffee all have a charge. Shakes are extra at JR also not included in cover charge. Main diningroom times usually 6:30 first seating, 8:30 late seating for dinner plus open for breakfast and lunch. Windjammer is open most of the day thru dinner. lemonade, ice tea, coffee, tea available. Some juice is also available free during breakfast hours only. Not sure about other questions, Have a great cruise!:)

If you plan on doing your registration online you will need to do soon. I know they close before the sailing not sure if it is 14 days or more. You will love the Radiance. If you do not have the new bedding you can request the egg crate. I did as soon as we met the cabin steward. Welcome to RCCL. Recently we have tried other lines but are coming back to RCCL. You will be giving a list of the dining options as well as all there is to do. Unless they have upgraded the Radiance I don't remember a Johnny Rockets. Have a great time. I don't cruise again until June 08

Yes you will love the Radiance. Yes you can preregister online and please do as it keeps the lines on the dock moving. Lemonade,icetea and punch is free in the windjammer. The food is always good. Be sure you check out all the food stations sometimes there is different foods aroung the back. Soda cards are available at the bars i think 6.00s a day its on their web site. I prefer to go pop free the lemonade is great....................................radical

Radiance is a great ship. We have sailed her three times. Last month we sailed on the Jewel of the Seas which is her sister ship. We were assigned an upgraded cabin on the back of Deck 10 which was extremely noisy as the Windjammer is right above and they clean it during the night. We had many sleepless nights. Usually when you book with best available, you end up on the back of the ship or the extreme front. That's really OK but you'll be walking more and using up more calories. Just make sure it's not on Deck 10.

My dh and I are also on that sailing and booked a balcony guarantee. We received a stateroom on deck 7. From what I have read on these boards, there are no obstructed views for the balconies, however, on deck 7 the lifeboat covers may prevent you from looking directly down to the water, but you will still have a clear view out.

Just got off the Radiance on 12/3 and had sailed her same time last year. This year we did ask for an egg crate for the bed and it did help the "inward bow" in the middle of each mattress. I though the pillows worked. They give you four of them and they were firm not the fluffly type. In regards to food, we thought the Windjammer was great and dinners were generally good. Some dinners were better than others. WE NEVER WENT HUNGRY. One tip -- I noticed the dinner desserts were not always to my liking. I would have dessert in the Windjammer at lunch and then usually skip dessert after dinner. Seemed to keep me from having that "stuffed"' feeling.

Archived