Voyager formal nights?

We just returned from our first ever cruise on Voyager. She is a beautiful ship and we had an awesome time, despite the rough seas. I'm not sure if you are doing the Eastern or Western route, but we did Western. The first formal night was Sunday and the second was Wednesday. We ate at Portofino's on Tuesday and it was Caribbean night in the dining room. Thursday was the night they served lobster.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but this was an awesome cruise in my opinion! The food was great and the staff was wonderful! The weather on the last sea day was not good though. It was cold and windy. There was nobody on the pool deck, so chairs were easy to come by! LOL. We went to the whirlpool for a little while, but even that was not so pleasant. It didn't ruin my overall cruise experience though. If anyone has any questions about it, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

P.S. the cruise director, Graham Seymour, was hilarious!! He even did a comedy act one night. Also, don't miss the ice show!!!!

We are also booked on the January 6 and January 13 Voyager. The first formal night is always on the 2nd night on the cruise but the second night varies by cruise. It is likely that it would be on Wednesday or Thursday. Check to find out your favorite events or dinners that you don't want to miss and book Portofino's accordingly. Don't wait too long to book as the best times usually book first. We have however found many times that people do not show up and we were able to get a table that we wanted at the last minute.

P.S. the cruise director, Graham Seymour, was hilarious!! He even did a comedy act one night. Also, don't miss the ice show!!!!

What about the rest of the entertainment in the main theater? What kind of shows did they have and did any of them in particular stand out (other than the ice show you already mentioned)? We are on the Voyager's 1/6/07 Eastern Caribbean cruise also.

• 3 weeks later...

Bobbigirl? :eek:

hey I have been trying to find people on this web site (from our origional group on the voyager) since we got back!

You are right the cruise was great! I am already packing for... oops, I mean PLANNING :D for the next cruise. What about you and your DH any thoughts about the next cruise?

Trudy

I was on her three weeks and you would think I could remember which nights were formal, but apparently I drank too much on the trip. If no one else answers before then, I'll check the Compasses tonoght.

I don't remember which nights either. Can check it for you if no one else does. May vary by route. We were Eastern Caribbean. I would agree that Caribbean night is the weaker link in the chain and is a good night to go to Portofino. Others love Caribbean nights and would disagree. We went straight over to main dining room as we boarded to be sure we liked table location. Then, right to Portofino to make reservations.

Any night is o.k., but why pay extra $$$$ when the food in the dining room is also high quality?

This gets widely debated here on Cruise Critic. We find the food in the dining room to be good but not great. There is a difference in the quality of food in Portofino/Chops, and generally a better level of service too. Most people who appreciate fine dining find the alternate restaurants to be worth the extra service charge. The memorable cruise meals happen for us in the alternate restaurants. The difference is mostly in chef prepared food for a small dining room versus mass-prepared food for thousands in the larger room. In fairness, my DW and I enjoy both settings since we're friends of food.

We are on the 1/6/07 Voyager cruise and were wondering if someone knows which evenings are "formal nights"? Also any suggestions as to which night would be best to dine at Portofino?
Eastern - Formal Nights were Day 2 (Nassau) and Day 6 (Labadee). Ice Shows were Day 3 5:00 & 7:00, Day 4 7:00 & 9:00, Production Shows were Music in Motion (Day 2) and Broadway Rhythm & Rhyme (Day 5).

Caribbean Night at dinner was Day 4, a good choice for Portofino's - if you want to see the Ice Show plan dinner around it or get Tickets for Day 3 (go early) Day 4 tickets shouldn't be a problem.

Archived