Cane Garden, very crowded

cinnamon

On our recent Zenith cruise, we had a day in Tortola. We enjoyed a mini-van island tour which we arranged on the dockside. The cost was $30.00 each, including a stop for several hours at a beach.

On the tour, the driver showed us some lovely unspoilt beaches but took us to Cane Garden for our swim and sunbathe session and then returned for us at the appointed time several hours later.. While the Bay is beautiful, to my mind it was spoilt by the sheer numbers of cruise passengers who had also been taken there. I suspect that there is a rule about not taking cruisers to the less spoilt beaches. This is understandable. If you have paid a lot to stay at an exclusive hotel by a quiet beach you would not want hordes of day-trippers turning up.

So, be warned, if peace is important to you, ask your driver for an alternative beach or be prepared to walk right along the bay away from the crowds.

Cinnamon

The crowds will depend on how many ships are in that day...

Last time in Tortola we were the only ship in port, and Cane Garden was almost deserted the whole time we were there .So it definetly depends. (Btw beautiful beach :) )

Srpilo

• 1 month later...

The first time I was on Tortola was several years ago with Windstar, before any of the large ships stopped there. I thought Cane Garden Bay was the most beautiful beach I had ever seen, and I've seen quite a few! But two years ago we stopped there on a Princess cruise, and it was wall to wall chairs. I was soooo disappointed to see the change. But it is good to hear that it still has times that aren't as crowded.

Joyce

Archived