"Live from the Freedom- not!" UPDATE!!!

OK, here's the update for everyone....got to the port around 10:30 am this morning...we waited outside when I heard a lady say that "Our cruise was cancelled" I said...What??? We waited for what seemed like an eternity when we were directed to another line and handed a letter stating that due to ongoing problems containing the norovirus the ship would be quarantined by recommendations of the CDC. We are scheduled to depart on a shortened cruise on Tuesday. I have to say that depsite the major and bitter disappointment...I cannot say enough just how truly wonderful and accomadating Royal Caribbean has been. Here were the options:

1) You could completely cancel with a 100% refund and 50% off another cruise.

2.) Those electingto stay will receive 50% refund off this cruise, and another 50% a future sailing...+they have put us up at the Hyatt regency at no cost and is also giving every guest a $250 onboard credit.

After we got thru the line we were each given a # with the name of our hotel and our luggage was taken and forwarded directly to our hotel. They then bussed us to Parrot Jungle for the day and when we got there there were Royal Caibbean people there about every 10-12 feet apart. They had an open air buffet with all kinds of food, ice cream unlimited drinks etc. They went around to everyone they could asking what more they could do for people.

It has naturally been a very trying day for all concerned and I am sooooo tired. And I know this board will soon be hearing about all the negative things and what people have had to go thru, but I must say here and now that I am so impressed with the job rccl has done. It was just as stressful for them as it has been for us. So, just to let you all know we're fine....and well taken care of. I will keep you posted....I am going downstairs right now and have a drink!!!!!!

Oh, here;s the shortened cruise schedule as handed to us:

Tuesday- depart @ 5pm

Wednesday- sea day

Thursday- Montego Bay, Jamaica

Friday- Labadee, Haiti

Saturday- sea day

Sunday- return home.

ok I think this now covers it! My god it has been a very long day!!

Certainly sounds like RCCL is doing everything they can for those booked on the Freedom today. That's good to hear!

Sorry about your shortened cruise - but you're still "on vacation" and, hopefully, will have much less chance of becoming sick once you board the ship. Hope you enjoy your week!

i would be glad to get the offerings you were given and to board a clean ship- getting sick onboard would be a major bummer and getting quaranteened to the cabin and get no compensation- nice package for you and you run less risk getting sick- worth it to me- glad to hear rci stepping up to the plate- enjoy your vacation-

My husband and I are also Freedom castaways today. We're at the Wyndham until the ship sails on Tuesday. We were given the news at the airport and then taken directly here (after about a 2 hour wait). RCCL is obviously doing the best they can under the circumstances. We've been treated fine so far.

We are quite pleased with the 50% refund and 50% future discount option. The $250 credit is also quite nice.

Yeah, we're disappointed that our two favorite ports (Grand Cayman and Cozumel) were sacrificed for the shorter itinerary, but we'll make the best of it and have a good time anyway.

We've already decided how to use our future cruise 50% discount - Alaska in August!

Does anybody know where they moved the ship to? I don't see it from the webcam.

Here's the RCI website announcement:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=important_updates

FREEDOM was just moved further East to a vacant area where no cruise ships dock. It's closer to the Carnival piers. This frees up the terminal for the ships that need it tomorrow morning.

Ernie

Here she is...........http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/wachovia/camera1&pan=6.25&tilt=-0.78240675&panfov=2.0&tiltfov=1.5&overlay=default&skin=WachJan2005&useapplet=true&time=1165800821446&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&imagemap.x=-858&imagemap.y=-643&imagemap.w=2356&imagemap.h=1767

Great! Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of the onboard credit. Generally, what can we expect?

Gosh, I get all of them confused, however if I'm wrong someone will correct me :D

3-5 day cruise $50

7 day cruise $100

Just try to know what you want to book and make an appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador, their information will be in the daily compass. Enjoy your stay in Miami :D

###

Well, just returned from some dinner and a much needed drink downstairs. We are trying to make the best of a bad situation. Plan to relax tomorrow and go over to the Bayside marketplace. RCCL is still in the lobby downstairs tending to their guests and answering questions. I really do feel they have done everything in their power to try and make things right for us. Naturally it has been a very stressful day for everyone but people here are upbeat and really doing their best to stay that way. Good night for tonight....signing off till tomorrow. Wish us luck on Tuesday and say a few prayers we sail!!

I live overlooking the port of Miami...Freedom is at the very end of the piers - I will try and post a photo tomorrow.

I have a question...

I sail on many cruise lines EXCEPT Royal Caribbean...for those who sail on RCI, are there hand sanitizers EVERYWHERE?...

For example when you board an NCL ship, you are rubbed down and sprayed with rubbing alchohol - there are mandatory hand sanitizers in each and every buffet line, at stairwells, in the bathrooms, etc. and when you come back on board from shore, you are again "desanitized".

This virus is prevalent on land and essentially carries itself on board - so tell me please what RCI does to prevent the "spread" of the bacteria. NOTE*** NCL has NOT had an event regarding this problem, so what is RCI (not) doing?

Archived