help -planning reunion cruise 2006

cruiseLMG

I am trying to get my family to try a cruise for our next "get together" We would only need 6-7 cabins depending on how many will be coming. I understand if you book at least 8, you can get a cabin free??

My real question is how to get an idea for prices on cruises so far out. I imagine it will probably be a year before these cruises are scheduled and released for sale. I would like to get an idea of the type of budget needed to see if this is an option for some family members.

1. We will try to cruise between Oct and Dec (not holiday)

2. We will probably need to accommodate a family of 5 as inexpensively as possible. (third, fourth and fifth passenger in cabin) Are some cruiselines better about discounting additional passengers than others.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

I am also thinking about a family cruise in 2006, probably about 6 or 7 cabins. We also have a family of 5. We have to go in the summer due to college and school schedules.

Our TA says that we should look a year out. My problem is getting the kids to commit this far out.

Also what line is best. We are considering RC and Princess.

Any suggestions out there?

clvali

You dont get a freee cabin for 8 cabins booked.

For every 8 cabins booked with 16 people you will earn a free berth. (port andt axes are extra) (you also get themoney back at the end...sometimes

On our first cruise we booked 8 cabins and I added the free person into our discounts at the end. I was able to give each cabin back $300.

Talk to the group departments for cruise lines and see what they can offer you. Mostly you wont find pricing this far out. 12-15 months maybe.

What you can do this far out--is look for various port of calls to see where you may want to go. what there is to do in each port.. (that way when the time comes to talk to the various family members you have more to offer them then HEY ya wanna cruise?) But keep in mind that family members may have to buy airfare for the cruise too--so keep it reasonably cheap for those too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just reserved/booked an Alaska for July 1, 2005. I asked about the 5 cabin deal and HAL acknowledged that they do give a discount if you book 5 or more rooms but only on some cruises. At the present the deals are only on the Z and some other carribean. She did tell me to keep checking though as they add incentives all the time. I was assured, and have witnessed in the past, that if I ask at a later date and the price is better they will give me the special.

I have the problem you had w/too many in a family. I decided to book four balcony rooms and one inside cabin between them. This way each family has a balcony and the kids can sleep in the inside room. HAL does not have any verandah cabins (other then S and Penthouse) that will sleep 4 or more.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes the free berth isn't worth it if prices drop becasue once you book as a group you can not take advantage of a price drop. Before you book be sure of the cruiselines rules.

I found that we would have faired better on one of our cruises if we had booked everyone seperately (with the reservations linked) then by booking through groups. As someone else started the free part is only the cruise part - not port and taxes. The time of year you are thinking of traveling is a less common time and prices always seem to be good that time of year - with incentives - so do your homework before you decide.

If you do the group booking and prices go down where it would have been better if you didn't book as a group - are you going to be upset? On the other hand - you could book everyone seperate - pay more than the group price - and then the price could stay the same - it's a chance you have to take - which one makes you more comfortable.

If you do book the group way - spare yourself and don't check prices - it will drive you crazy.

Thank you, I have been on two cruises and will be on my third for Thanksgiving... I can't believe that I still have so many questions. Thanks for the suggestions. It would be alot of fun to cruise for our reunion, but I imagine it will be tough to get everyone to agree on one specific cruise, let alone the date.

Some will be more concerned with the cost than others. Would it work better to have everyone select a cabin on the same deck (one with a variety of cabin types) than to have everyone next door to each other or all over the ship?

i have coordinated 4 past reunions on cruises before and we've tried the "pick ur own cabins on the same deck", as well as same cabin for all families and we've finally resorted to same deck, either balcony or inside (cabins next to each other). for us, the reunion only happens once every 2 yrs so being near each other is a major requirement!

we've previously gotten the free berth for 16 full paying passengers but this yr, we booked with princess for next july and we chose mini-suites but they said that the free berth does not apply for mini-suites and above :(

anyways, good luck w ur research!

Thank you. I think the same deck idea would probably work the best for us too. We have decided to try to have a reunion every other year and we would also like to be together. I know some in our group would choose the most economical means ... inside, four to a cabin.. while others would probably like a suite... I'm sure it will work itself out. I think the same deck idea will keep us close together and allow for different levels of........comfort.

How does dinner work with so many people? Do you have several tables and change places as desired?? These things seem so trivial, but it sure helps to think about it ahead of time.

for us, (we have around 32-35 people each yr, and this yr we'll have 40!), we request for large tables adjacent to each other. we swap places as desired each evening so that everyone gets a chance to eat w other families during the course of the cruise. if this will be too troublesome, you can try with pre-arranging the seating for each nite and see how that goes - in any case, i'm sure u will enjoy the cruise!

ps if u will b considering taking the excursions from the cruiseline as a group, u shud book early to guarantee availability!

Sometimes it IS better to book separate from booking as a group. This November, we are doing a family reunion and although we have 11 rooms, what they wanted to give us amounted to a joke. 300.00 cash back after the cruise. We booked individually(actually I called in individually) and booked through a company (no names allowed) that was giving us 100.00 credit per room and 150.00 cash back after the cruise if the room was paid for with Mastercard. Not only did we get these perks, but the initial price is 579.00 each for the first 2 and only 229.00 for the third and fourth passenger (in a room for 4) We are going on the Caribbean Princess, by the way. It is the 7 day Eastern Carib itin. I believe there are over 40 of us now. (a few friends have joined in)

As far as families of 5, we just put the extra child in with a grandparent or an Aunt. Of course I had to get 2 rooms since I have a family of 8, however both rooms are right next to each other. This is actually our 2nd family/friends cruise this year. On the one in January, we did go through a travel agent as a group cruise. In that case, we all recieved a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered Strawberries in our room and we had a complimentary one hour cocktail reception in a closed off portion of a lounge. We chose this instead of the free berth, so the entire family could enjoy. There are many options out there, so keep an open mind and ask each TA what they can offer you

Thanks, I am beginning to think booking individually might be the best idea. How did you select a TA? I am going on my third cruise this Nov and I have used a different TA each time. None of them went out of their way to help me. I asked the one I am currently booking through (about how to plan the reunion) and she said, it is too early to do any planning. I understand she can't give me prices, but this board has given me great advice to get started now. Even if it is only to get an idea where people would be willing to go etc.

How much time did your families plan time together, and how much of it was just spontanious?

Hi,

I am planning a family cruise, as well. After lots of research, I finally booked 15 cabins for November '05. I don't think it's too early to get things started.

We will be celebrating my Mom's 75th birthday and there will be four generations of family members ages 2-76.

What I'm learning is that you can't please everyone! I finally had to pick a date and invite everyone to join us. Most of the decisions i.e. destinations, went to my mother, as it's for her. She's pretty easy to please, though.

Because of the age ranges we decided to go on Carnival. Personally, I've been on five cruises, most of them RCI. I'm kind of nervous with the choice, but will make the best of it.

I booked directly with their Group Cruises Dept. They seemed to offer the best deals. The perks and the free berth for the 16th one booked, etc. The one thing I'm not happy with is the deposit. They want $250pp by 60 days with the balance not due until net September. I think the deposit request is too high. Any suggestions? We have some family members with 3 & 4 children, so that's a lot to come up with at once. That's my only snag (so far). However, I've just begin! Any suggestions from people who planned something like this in the past is appreciated!

Mary

What time of year do most of you plan reunion cruises? I know summer would be easier for families with children, but, I imagine that the ships are just overrun with childrenat that time. I have two of my own and know that most children tend to behave better with a moderate number of other children, rather than so many. What do you think?

unfortunately, when u have kids, (kids in our family are between the ages of 1 and 18), we have no choice but to choose summer :( but then again, we've had 3 previous reunions on rccl, all in the summer, twice in the caribbeans and last time in the baltics (for 12 days too!), and we've never really had any problems with too many kids on board.

we're booked on the 12 day med cruise on the grand princess for next summer - i wonder what the 'kid' situation will be like then?

:confused:

Archived