new to Windstar--some questions

MomC

My husband and I are considering sailing on Windstar because of the glowing reports that everyone gives it. I am concerned about the size, the stabilizers and motion. My husband has some problems with motion. If you are in the Caribbean, how much motion is there--in normal seas? We have never sailed a ship this size. Is motion a major problem for those with quesy stomachs?

Also, one of the ships is considerably larger, which ship is it? How does it compare with the other ships?

Is there a consensus favorite ship? We are not concerned about itinerary since we have sailed most offered, so we are looking for the best ship.

One more, what is the difference between category A and category B cabins? I can't seem to get a real deck plan--just something which shows various locations of public rooms--any help for this???

Thanks,

Mom C

My husband and I are considering sailing on Windstar because of the glowing reports that everyone gives it. I am concerned about the size, the stabilizers and motion. My husband has some problems with motion. If you are in the Caribbean, how much motion is there--in normal seas? We have never sailed a ship this size. Is motion a major problem for those with quesy stomachs?

Also, one of the ships is considerably larger, which ship is it? How does it compare with the other ships?

Is there a consensus favorite ship? We are not concerned about itinerary since we have sailed most offered, so we are looking for the best ship.

One more, what is the difference between category A and category B cabins? I can't seem to get a real deck plan--just something which shows various locations of public rooms--any help for this???

Thanks,

Mom C

Answers to some of the questions:

1. The Surf is the larger of the ships

2. Have been on the smaller ships numerous times and have found that there is less motion on the Windstar ships than the ships like Celebrity.

3. On the Star and Spirt, the only difference between the Cat. A cabin and the Cat B cabin is the deck. If you don't mind walking up an additional flight of steps then Cat. B is great.

On the 2-week Barbados/Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise, we had long 16-18 ft swells and moderate winds off the Colombia coast. The sails seemed to be more effective in stabilizing the motion than anything else.

The lowest deck is more comfortable than the upper decks for motion and it was thrilling to watch the water momentarily cover the portholes as we cut through the swells.

Using the extra set of stairs was a great way to get "free" exercise. Yes there is a gym, but I never used it.

Be sure to participate in the yoga & tai chi classes in the lounge. Maintaining a graceful balance in rocky seas was hysterically funny one morning as our whole tai chi group took unintended quick steps across the floor and back again in perfect unison.

Enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mom C,

We're just off the Wind Star in Costa Rica. I think the motion issue seems to vary. I encountered several folks who say they normally don't have a problem who did feel a bit sick the first day or so. After getting the free meds from reception and taking them, they did fine.

My Mom gets seasick very easily and both my husband and I felt this would not have been the ship for her. When the ship is facing the swells the horizon actually looks like it moves up and down 10 feet. That would have totally convinced my Mom that she'd be sick and being so certain of it, I'm sure she would have been.

This was our 9th cruise. Only on one other cruise did we experience as much motion as on this one. For us, it was great - I love the motion since it makes me sleep beautifully. But it would not have worked for my Mom.

I've never sailed on a larger ship, but the Wind Star was pretty smooth. Only on one night, when the sea was choppy, did I start feeling queasy. Otherwise, I loved the feeling of getting gently rocked to sleep.

Archived