Anyone willing to do yet another itinerary review? (thanks!)

GradSchoolCruiser

Hi. I was wondering if I could get a review of our iterneray for Alaska next summer?

Day 1: Arrive Vancouver by air (Evening)

Day 2: Board Diamond Princess (Afternoon)

Day 3: At sea

Day 4: Ketchikan (short day in port) - See what we find

Day 5: Juneau - Capt. Larry Whale Watching; Glacier Landing w/ Costal

Day 6: Skagway - Rental to Emerald Lake

Day 7: Glacier Bay (at sea)

Day 8: College Fjord (at sea)

Day 9: Depart ship at Whittier; transfer to seward, get rental, exit glacier, sled dogs, drive cooper landing; evening river float (busy!)

Day 10: Hike, fish, relax, or possible day trip to Homer (would be a long day, thoughts?)

Day 11: Return rental Seward, Renown Tour, train to anchorage

Day 12: Xtremely Alaska Hike, get rental, drive to Talkeetna, Flightsee w/ landing

Day 13: Explore Talkeetna, Drive to Denali, explore, (overnight Healey)

Day 14: Shuttle to wonder lake (early!); possible cabin nite dinner theater

Day 15: Morning in Denali, drive to fairbanks, drop rental, get new rental, explore, relax

Day 16: Drop rental, Explore, Lg Animal center, Riverboat, Goldmine

Day 17: Brooks Range Adventure

Day 18: Brooks Range Adventure (return late night)

Day 19: Depart Fairbanks by air

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!!! You guys have great thoughts!

GSC

Looks like you've planned a nice itinerary!:) Resembles ours from this past summer, and we had a great time. We had full days and we were quite busy, but not rushed.

Ketchikan is a short port day for many. There is a visitor center right at the dock. If you have no plans, you might consider checking at the center for last minute tour availability. Several tour operators have booths, and I still kick myself for not taking a flightseeing of Misty Fjords at what I thought was a reasonable price for my family of four. The rest of our group wasn't interested, so my family skipped it.

We sailed Sapphire, the sister to Diamond. Lovely ship. I found the brochure floor plan easier to read at first rather than the pocket plan given onboard. Not all elevators go to all floors.

Enjoy your trip!

Day 15: Morning in Denali, drive to fairbanks, drop rental, get new rental, explore, relax

Day 16: Drop rental, Explore, Lg Animal center, Riverboat, Goldmine

Your itinerary sounds very well thought out. Just wondering why you're dropping off the rental car in Fairbanks and picking up a new one for just one day? I can see hanging onto it until the end of day 16, because you won't be using it in the Arctic.

After pricing it out, we decided to pick up a new rental car in Fairbanks instead of keeping the original rental because we can get a much lower rate (about 1/2 as much!). We don't have a drop off fee for the one way from anchorage to fairbanks, but I guess that's why the day rate is a bit higher.

Anyway, thanks for the info! Do either of you have any thoughts or information on whether Homer is a nice day trip from Cooper landing? I've heard it is, but I've also heard it's too far for just the day. Hm, so many things to plan...

Do either of you have any thoughts or information on whether Homer is a nice day trip from Cooper landing? I've heard it is, but I've also heard it's too far for just the day.

I do not know. Surely someone will chime in to help you on this. :)

With your busy day the prior day, I would be a little hesitant to recommend driving down and back to Homer. It is a nice drive, for part of the way, but part is just boring too. Depending upon what time of year and the day of the week, it could be a crowded road. If it is a Friday, Sat, or Sun forget it, just too much traffic to deal with. For the one-day tourist, Homer is not that much different than Seward. You would miss seeing the russian orthodox church in Ninilchik, but not much else. (in my opinion).

As an alternative you may want to think about driving down to the Russian River and watching people fish (or fishing yourself). This is the most heavily fished stream in Alaska when the red salmon are running, and it can be quite the site! You could also hike into the Russian Lakes, the path is paved to Lower Russian lake and good along up to Upper Russian Lake. This would be a different type of scenery than you have seen. Another hike in the area would be up to Fuller lakes (short but steep trail) where you would get a great view of the valley and catch grayling if you bring a fly rod. Or you could take a nice relaxing float trip down the Kenai river from Cooper landing to Jim's landing.

You itinerary has a lot in it, it would be a shame to run yourself ragged every day. I think you would be better off putting a few relaxing days that you can catch your breath while still enjoying the beauty.

Scott (In Anchorage)

Get the Milepost Book. Homer is not a very good day trip. 5-6 hr drive from Seward, one way.

How are you getting to Seward? Why not stop at Cooper Landing and do your float trip on the way and avoid back tracking. Are you staying in Cooper Landing?? Seward to Cooper Landing is an hour drive.

Seward is small and easy to get around. You could save some $$$ by not getting a rental here or since your renting from Hertz in Anch and that's what we have in Seward, you might be able to get a better deal having the rental from Seward, as the longer you have the vehicle, the cheaper it gets. Seward Hertz allows drop offs in Fairbanks.

Sealife Center is worth a visit. I don't see that mentioned. :)

Archived